PDA

View Full Version : Maztec's Computer Specs:

maztec
10-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Due to popular request here are the specs of three different computers I have running Myst IV Revelation -- two are absolutely gorgeous, full effects/etc.

Computer #1:
Mobo/Case: Shuttle SN95G5
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 939 FX-53
OS: Running it with Windows 2000 for games (normally is yet another Linux box)
RAM: 3GB DDR 400
HD: 2x 250GB SATA 7200RPM, 8MB Cache, Western Digital WD2500JD
Audio: Onboard whatever it is for this shuttle. I think it's Realtek.
Video: ATI Radeon X800 XT 256MB DDR AGP8x, Sapphire brand. (Sapphire has tended to be a good price, maybe a bit low on maximum performance, but it works.)
Video Drivers: Radeon Omega Drivers 2.5.90 (Catalyst 4.10 Beta)
DVD: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108, latest firmware.

Works beautifully.

Computer #2: (much the same)
Mobo/Case: Shuttle SN45Gv2
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
RAM: 1GB DDR 400 (dual channel)
HD: 1x 250GB 7200RPM ATA133, 8MB Cache, Maxtor
Audio: Onboard whatever it is for this shuttle.
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 SE, Sapphire brand. (Omega drivers used to make it perform like 9800 Pro)
Video Drivers: Radeon Omega Drivers 2.5.90 (Catalyst 4.10 Beta)
DVD: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108, latest firmware.

So there you have it. Yes, I like Shuttles. Yes the 64 bit system is a development box. Yes, I have way too many computers. Yes Revelation runs without a problem on both of these boxes. I didn't have to tweak any settings, nor did I have to upgrade anything.

Now, Computer #3: Sony GRX600K Vaio Laptop (don't buy expensive laptops from Sony, they melt, literally -- and Sony will discontinue the product line, and they won't fix your existing system when it has problems -- unless you argue A LOT)
1GB whatever ram is in it.
Radeon 7500 Mobility w/ 32MB memory.
80GB Hitachi hard drive.
And I upgraded to an 8x DVD+/-RW Sony thing, although I think it's actually a Toshiba drive..
Windows 2000. (Getting a trend? I hate XP. I haven't seen many people with Windows 2000 here complaining, just XP.. particularly XP SP2 which is known for breaking games.)

Problems with it? Heck yah. I had to insert the same tag as everyone else to get the game to display correctly on the ATI 7500 Radeon Mobility chipset. I can't use any of the extended effects. I had to upgrade the firmware on my DVD drive to get it to read the disc -- error of the manufacturer. But it works now. Is it as beautiful as the other two systems? No, no, not really. Is it pretty? Yes. But it doesn't have nearly as much life. Then again this is a three year old laptop and a new game. I expect these types of results. Especially with the minimum requirements Mobility chipset. I agree the Radeon 7x00 bug was a fubar on their part, but we know how to get around it and the fix will be included in the upcoming patch.

So there you have it. Any questions?
Maztec

Boshettee
10-17-2004, 05:51 PM
What, no milk and cookies? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

maztec
10-17-2004, 11:54 PM
*hands boshettee a bag of truffles*

maztec
11-17-2004, 09:33 PM
update, laptop works with patch v1.2 :P

nielsvaes
11-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Don't let it melt now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif