PDA

View Full Version : Bulged hood on late 190s

tigertalon
05-18-2005, 05:02 AM
AFAIK bulged hood was used on last examples of A8 and on late version of D9 (and on F and G series respectively). I don't know exactly what is the ratio between number of A8s with bulged and ones with flat canopy. And, in D9 case, did maybe bulged canopy coincide with introduction of MW50 and Ta152 tail unit? However, it would be nice to have A8 and D9early with flat canopy, and D9late with MW50, bulged canopy and Ta152-tail IMO.

Fw190 experten, please enlighten me and share ideas and knowledge. Thanks.

tigertalon
05-18-2005, 05:02 AM
AFAIK bulged hood was used on last examples of A8 and on late version of D9 (and on F and G series respectively). I don't know exactly what is the ratio between number of A8s with bulged and ones with flat canopy. And, in D9 case, did maybe bulged canopy coincide with introduction of MW50 and Ta152 tail unit? However, it would be nice to have A8 and D9early with flat canopy, and D9late with MW50, bulged canopy and Ta152-tail IMO.

Fw190 experten, please enlighten me and share ideas and knowledge. Thanks.

mynameisroland
05-18-2005, 06:25 AM
As far as im aware you are correct. Most of A series and early D9's retained origional Fw canopy and only late A8/ all of the A9's and late D9 45 Ta 152 had blow canopy. All of the F8's and F9's had the blown canopy,

Another question would be how much speed loss would the blown hood entail? Apart from looking cooler would the earlier hood offer a great drag reduction?

horseback
05-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Not an expert, but been aware for some time that early examples of the Dora were rebuilt Antons with a fuselage plug and an extension in the tail unit to go with the Jumo 213 engine. The blown canopies apparently conferred better all around vision for a slight, if any, drag penalty, and became the standard for frontline units very early in the Dora's use.

The older type canopy is most often seen in photos of preproduction models and aircraft assigned to familiarization duties rather than combat aircraft, where the value of the blown canopy was immediately seized upon by the pilots.

I believe there were very few old type canopies in combat use, even with the initial deployment of the 190D-9.

cheers

horseback

Hunde_3.JG51
05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
IIRC the bulged hoods were first used on late production F-8 models, for better visibility during ground attack. It then became standard on the F-9.

"On late model F-8's, the improved "blown hood" canopy with a pylon mounted headrest was made available for improved pilot vision. The canopy was retrofitted to FW-190A-8 fighters when available."

As I said it became standard on the F-9 and late F-8's, where they were factory installed.

I would guess it is impossible to even make an accurate guess as to how many A-8's were retrofitted. I have seen conflicting data as to whether the blown hood was standard on the A-9.

Late FW-190G-8's were also retrofitted.

The list of BMW models that used the blown hood:

-190A-8
-190A-9
-190F-8
-190F-9
-190G-8

As for the Dora I only found this:

"Newly built FW-190D-9 W.Nr 210051 with a straight topped cockpit cover from the first production batch of D-9 airframes."

Doesn't tell us too much other than both types saw production/use.

What I really want to see is the A-9 with a Ta-152 tail unit. I'm sure they were very few in number but it must have looked good http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif.

Sorry I don't have more detailed info, this was just a quick search of my books while on the hopper http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif.

Hunde_3.JG51
05-18-2005, 04:52 PM
I also noticed that my huge 1:18 FW-190D-9 model from Bad Cat Toys has the blown canopy (with pylon), yet the color plate of Michalski's D-9 aircraft in FW-190 Aces of the Russian Front has the standard canopy.

Two plates below is Barkhorn's D-9 with a blown canopy. Along with Tanzer's D-9, Wettstein's A-9, Rudel's D-9, and Kennel's F-9. All of which had blown canopies.