PDA

View Full Version : Regarding available flight sticks

squadldr76
02-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I've been following this community for about a year now, having been a faithful member, albeit a silent one, for a while. I'm about to purchase a new rig and have decided that a decent HOTAS system was a priority. Now I'm on a mission to find out from all you vets which one you all prefer.

The CH Rudders are a definite addition. But my question lies in the stick and throttle. I read people talking about both the "Flightstick" system made by CH and the "X52" made by Saitek. I've found out that where I live, the X52 would save me some money. Has anybody ever had much trouble with it in terms of setup or function? Or is the CH one worth the additional $100 or so to have?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank's ya'll. :-)

squadldr76
02-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I've been following this community for about a year now, having been a faithful member, albeit a silent one, for a while. I'm about to purchase a new rig and have decided that a decent HOTAS system was a priority. Now I'm on a mission to find out from all you vets which one you all prefer.

The CH Rudders are a definite addition. But my question lies in the stick and throttle. I read people talking about both the "Flightstick" system made by CH and the "X52" made by Saitek. I've found out that where I live, the X52 would save me some money. Has anybody ever had much trouble with it in terms of setup or function? Or is the CH one worth the additional $100 or so to have?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank's ya'll. :-)

LEXX_Luthor
02-08-2006, 04:07 PM
If you live near a WalMarts, go out and get the 20$ Saitek Cyborg Graphite. Twenty dollars, although one I got was on sale at 15$.

Just do it, then compare with your new X52 or CH Pro costing 5 to 10 times more.

Try it. It only costs you at most 20$, but it may save you a lifetime of simming frustration and webboard wailing.

Wellcome to Forgotten Board

Akronnick
02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Right now I am using an X-45 that is showing its age and will soon be replaced by CH fighter stick. I have CH pedals and I use TrackIR.

I have seen the X-52 in a local BestBuy and it seems like a quality product.

I have had my CH pedals for almost a year now and have never had any problems with them. They may not seem like they are worth the $100 they cost but they are worth it, especially with the rudder input demanded by the latest FM.

setup for both Saitek and CH gear can be intimidating to some, but if you take some time to learn the programming interfaces, you can get them to do just about anything you would want.

Having said that, what I recommend is to get the X-52 now because you get both throttle and stick with one purchase. Now if you don't mind spending the extra $100-$115 all at once, get the CH throttle and stick. after that as funds allow get a TrackIR(3,4) followed by rudder pedals.

ElAurens
02-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I have been using the whole CH setup for some time now. Fighterstick USB, Pro Throttle USB, And the Pro Pedals.

They have been trouble free and really are worth more than the $100 they cost over the price of the Saitek

The Ch Control Program is, for me, too complicated to waste my time with however. I just set my stuff up using the ingame proceedure and it is just fine.

Padser
02-08-2006, 04:32 PM
~S~

If you got the cash, then I would recommend the CH fighter stick and throttle - good quality, nice feel, very good indeed!

The CH Control Manager software may take a little getting used to but it is easy really and there is plenty of support at http://www.ch-hangar.com. Using this will allow you the illusion of differential braking and will also let you assign all possible flight controls to your sticks. I've got everything 'HOTAS' other than wing fold and bail out (and bombsight controls, which I have on my num pad).

If you decide you would like two rotary controllers for trim (CH throttle lacks these - the only criticism I have for it), then I'd recommend the Fighterstick in combination with a second-hand X-45 throttle (cheap on e-bay and I for one prefer the feel of the knobs to those on the X-52) - put the X-45 stick under the table, it's nasty... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif (IMHO)

TTFN

Pads

Wilburnator
02-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Regarding the x52, I liked the throttle, and I hated the stick. Because I liked the throttle so much, I did not return the x52 when I purchased a CH Fighterstick. Now that both are nearly a year old, the CH stick is like new, and the x52 throttle is about shot. The x52 programming software is also about the buggiest thing I've ever installed on my rig.

I recommend CH for the long haul.

squadldr76
02-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks everybody. You've helped a lot. I've decided to go with the CH pieces because they look cool (heh).

I do have one further question. I know I could wait until they arrive, but I'm eager and impatient. :-) Will the entire system use 3 USB slots? If so, yikes...guess I'll be getting a hub soon too.

Anyway, as soon as my stuff arrives, look for me on Hyperlobby. I plan on being a menace to everybody who crosses my flight path.

Mwahahahahahahaha!!!

horseback
02-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Yes, you will need three USB ports (actually four, because now that you have the "bug" you will soon realize that you need TrackIR4).

I'd recommend getting a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card and installing it in your computer rather than getting a powered USB 2.0 hub, which is the next-best option.

I have the CH CombatStick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals, and I love 'em. They are deemed so cool in some circles & last so long that a couple of my nephews are trying to suck up to me in hopes of inheriting them when I go to the big Flight Sim in the Sky...

cheers

horseback

Mr_Blastman
02-09-2006, 12:09 PM
If you have some money to spend... I'd recommend you also look at the HOTAS Cougar by Thrustmaster.

I've never been a fan of the CH sticks (they just have no resistance in them), nor have I liked the way their gimbals are set up. I love the Cougar so far.

I use CH Pro Pedals - they are sweet and worth the money also if you have it.

Be warned though, if you get a cougar, the urge to mod it will be strong (and this gets expensive fast) - but with enough money, it can be upgraded into the worlds ultimate controller.

lairdperkins
02-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Again I'll put in my 2cents in favor of CH gear.

I'm on my second complete set (Flightstick Pro, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals)... I'd still be on my first set if it wasn't for Microsoft locking out keyboard port programming in Windows 2000.

The gameport equipment I have is twelve to fifteen years old (originally bought stick and rudders for Airwarrior on GENIE, added the thorttle about the time Warbirds... well it was Confirmed Kill then... came out) I've replaced the potentiometers in the stick once and pedals twice (less than $10 for parts including shipping direct from CH)... other than that, nothing has worn out.

Because of the programing issue (I got tired of booting windows '98 to program via the ps2 port), I finally broke down and replaced the entire set two years ago with USB gear. I fully expect to get another ten years of heavy use out of the new gear unless Microsoft decides to abandon USB =)