PDA

View Full Version : Defensive tactics

burningdeath44
05-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi all. I have a serious defensive problem every time someone gets on my six im most likely done for(happens very often). ive read up on menuvers(sp) to shake someone off your six but everytime i try to execute one i end it with one wing, if you get what im saying. so the question is how in the world do i get someone off my tail.
i like the mustang-d,109s,and the 190-d and a.

burningdeath44
05-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi all. I have a serious defensive problem every time someone gets on my six im most likely done for(happens very often). ive read up on menuvers(sp) to shake someone off your six but everytime i try to execute one i end it with one wing, if you get what im saying. so the question is how in the world do i get someone off my tail.
i like the mustang-d,109s,and the 190-d and a.

JG5_UnKle
05-30-2005, 04:42 PM
1. Don't get into the situation in the first place....

Seriously, avoiding having an enemy latched on your six might sound obvious but it's a great start. Keep your Situation Awareness high and know as much about the fight around you as you can. Don't get fixated and let someone get into position.

Take the P-51 - faster than most contemporary types it can turn well at speed (450kph+) and will give great results above 7000M. You can roll well and dive very fast. If engaged in a mustang try pushing full left rudder and pushing the nose forward - HARD. When you are out of sight either go for a Split S or throw left stick roll under (270 degree left roll) and away to the right.

With the P-51 you can change course well (under control) at higher speeds. Entering a spiral dive (fast) with a 109 would shake him - the 109's elevators lock from 450kph+ so stay above this. You can also extend away easily or zoom climb with excess speed. In the Pony speed is king, you should be able to fly so fast that no enemy can easily get on your six and pursue you.

The 109 is great defensive if you catch your opponent unawares. Do not make the mistake of climbing slowly in front of allied / VVS aircraft. Aircraft like the Spit and Yak can easily maintain control at near vertical attitudes (even at full power http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif) so hstorical tactics like spiral climbs don't work so well here. If you have plenty of speed try and climb but if you are less than 400kph when engaged you might be better going for the stall-fight.

In the 109 make a hrad left break turn - drop combat flaps. Practice this a lot, hard left with rudder until you can get it just right so you bleed a fair bit of speed but not stall and spin out. Make sure your enemy is following and then cut the throttle and roll over and break right, roll left full power and pull. Basically a scissor.

If your opponent is smart he will climb over your scissor so try and make it a rolling vertical scissor - like a big barrel roll. Your 109 has excellent low speed control, just get him in front and blast him. This is a last-ditch effort though as it leaves you in a crappy energy state - read point 1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

ColoradoBBQ
05-30-2005, 04:46 PM
You can have a chance of shaking someone off your tail when you exploit the bandit's weakness with your plane's best strengths. You should learn your plane's strengths and weaknesses. The mustang and the 190s are not good turners so do not try to outturn your opponents, they may be the best turners at high speed but that bleeds speed and makes the bandit outturn you. Instead, keep your speed up and execute some evasive moves like barrel rolls and slight pitch up and down if they get into firing range.

ploughman
05-31-2005, 02:47 AM
Yes, but turning at high speeds against something with good energy retention when your kite loses energy quickly can put you inside him in a turn fight even if he's a Spitfire and you're not. Something like a Spitfire is likely to black a pilot out if he turns hard at speed. If he's smart he'll convert his energy to height and have another go but if he tries to follow you at high speed you should be able to get inside him and blast hime to bits. Anyway, as long as it removes him from being in a position to shoot you down it's got to be positive.

Monson74
05-31-2005, 03:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by burningdeath44:
i like the mustang-d,109s,and the 190-d and a. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are all fast planes - energy fighters. With the FWs you can out-dive most Russian & British fighters. Against the US fighters which are fast too you should rely on superior roll-rate. The 109 out-turns & out-rolls the Mustang, Thunderbolt & Lightning at 300-400 km/h. The 51 turns well at high speed but be carefull not to bleed your E. If you get someone on your six that you can't shake you can try various rolls combined with some minor elevator input - try inverted rolls too (stick forward & to the side) - they seem to fool most shooters.

Finkeren
05-31-2005, 03:25 AM
Of course you have to take into consideration the strenghts and weaknesses of your plane vs. your opponents.
There has been some advice on the american energy fighters, but try out other planes as well.
For instance try using the magnificent roll rate of the FW 190 and B-239. The FW is absolutely unmatched in a high speed zoom-climb, try diving away in a FW and pull up hard once you're past 500 km/h and you'll leave any fighter behind.
Soviet planes are in general more manueverable altogether than their counterparts. Try using the scissors manuerver, flick flacking left and right trying to get the enemy to shoot past you and put YOU on HIS six.
As for the more versatile fighters that does not posses "special" abilities, such as high speed or fast turnrate: Always know who you're fighting and take advantages of that planes weak spots, aways keep your speed high, and don't give up altitude exept when making an attack.

Practice makes perfect.

NorrisMcWhirter
05-31-2005, 03:35 AM
Hi,

109: This can be risky but you can drag attackers into a slow, spiral climb as 109 drivers did in real life. Especially useful in the 109G2 and 109K4 against contemporaries. Just climb in a bank so as to prevent the bandit getting a clear shot on you. If he runs out of steam and breaks off, you can go on the offensive again. Or, with sufficient altitude, you will be able to disengage as you may perform better at alt than they can.

In particular, with VVS aircraft, you can spot if it's a noob following you as he'll have the wrong mixture as you climb higher. The longer the black smoke trails remain, the bigger the noob; this isn't just for amusement - it will give you an idea of what level of risk to take with them.

190: If you are caught alone, low and slow you're in big trouble. So, never get into that situation. If you do, try letting them get quite close then pulling into a scissors or breaking hard left or right no more than 90 degrees. Always call/look for help in this situation.

Otherwise, you should outrun most things with prop pitch = 100%, boost on and full throttle. Again, run for help or wait for them to disengage so you can climb and attack later.

Ta,
Norris

burningdeath44
05-31-2005, 12:00 PM
thanks for the help guys this should really help.