PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Lustvig
08-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Hey folks!

Well, i thought Comanche Hokum/Apache Havok was hard...sigh. So I have some questions...

1. How do you "target" an enemy? Especially ground or ship targets - they don't seem to "highlight" as the manual says..and why are enemies blue and allies red - that is really confusing...

2. I had been trying one map - Hawaii during the Pearl Harbor attack in my P40. Then I installed the 4.08 patch - and I cannot find that map anymore? Did I do something wrong?

3. I often pitch to the ground when I do a steep dive - it seems uncontrolled. Is there a tutorial on getting out of a spin (and doing a steep dive)?

4. Carriers ... you want me to land on that tiny little thing?!?! OMG....

5. If i land - will I get re-armed and refuled? How do I end the scenario I am I - it just seems I have to Quit?

6. Is there a expanded manual anywhere?

Great game, BTW - I cannot believe I get a 200 fps rate with all this gorgeous graphics...

Lustvig
08-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Hey folks!

Well, i thought Comanche Hokum/Apache Havok was hard...sigh. So I have some questions...

1. How do you "target" an enemy? Especially ground or ship targets - they don't seem to "highlight" as the manual says..and why are enemies blue and allies red - that is really confusing...

2. I had been trying one map - Hawaii during the Pearl Harbor attack in my P40. Then I installed the 4.08 patch - and I cannot find that map anymore? Did I do something wrong?

3. I often pitch to the ground when I do a steep dive - it seems uncontrolled. Is there a tutorial on getting out of a spin (and doing a steep dive)?

4. Carriers ... you want me to land on that tiny little thing?!?! OMG....

5. If i land - will I get re-armed and refuled? How do I end the scenario I am I - it just seems I have to Quit?

6. Is there a expanded manual anywhere?

Great game, BTW - I cannot believe I get a 200 fps rate with all this gorgeous graphics...

FritzGryphon
08-16-2007, 06:12 AM
1. They won't highlight, you've got to find them. And it's well known that the Germans and Japanese were the good guys in WWII, hence the blue color.

2. Not sure what you mean.

3. Spin recovery is stick forward and rudder opposite the spin. Hold this until the spin stops.

In a steep dive the nose will tend to rise as you speed up. You can use elevator trim to counter this tendency.

4. Yes. Put your flaps and arrestor hook down, and approach the carrier as slowly as possible (130-160km/h, depending on plane).

5. If you win the mission, you can quit at any time. There's no reloading or repairing. In multiplayer, you would land your plane and choose 'refly' from the esc menu.

6. Just the one on the disc. But someone will be by shortly to point out an online tutorial.

Bearcat99
08-16-2007, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lustvig:
Hey folks!

1. How do you "target" an enemy? Especially ground or ship targets - they don't seem to "highlight" as the manual says..and why are enemies blue and allies red - that is really confusing... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must have padlock turned on. A smaqll blue or red triangle will appear over the target. Enemies are not blue... axis is blue allied is red.. period. Thats the way it is, get used to it... unless of course you are on a map with more than one army.. then the colors will be different.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2. I had been trying one map - Hawaii during the Pearl Harbor attack in my P40. Then I installed the 4.08 patch - and I cannot find that map anymore? Did I do something wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about in the Quick Mission Builder?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. I often pitch to the ground when I do a steep dive - it seems uncontrolled. Is there a tutorial on getting out of a spin (and doing a steep dive)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Practice. This sim has a very high learning curve. You pitch into the ground either because of compression or a control surface breaks off. Dont dive so fast. There are limits to dive speeds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4. Carriers ... you want me to land on that tiny little thing?!?! OMG.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Practice.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">5. If i land - will I get re-armed and refuled? How do I end the scenario I am I - it just seems I have to Quit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RR is not a feature of this sim at this point. Hit escape.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">6. Is there a expanded manual anywhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hit the Nugget's Guide in My sig. Look for Eastern Skies in the Essentials link also in my sig.

Great game, BTW - I cannot believe I get a 200 fps rate with all this gorgeous graphics...[/QUOTE]

Friendly_flyer
08-16-2007, 06:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lustvig:
and why are enemies blue and allies red - that is really confusing... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sim started out as an Eastern Europe ground attack sim (for the Sturmovik, hence the name). In that scenario, making the Germans blue and the Russians red made sense. Later, all forces allied to Germany was made blue and all allied to Russia red, to avoid confusion.

p-11.cAce
08-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Not that I like to recommend using easy settings but imho a great way to learn carrier landings (or landings in general) is to use CTRL+F1 and use the wonder woman view with the gauges and the velocity vector (the little circle that moves around the screen and indicates your true path)
This is probably the most misunderstood feature of the sim - but if you approach the carrier (or runway) and keep that little circle on the threshold you will make a perfect landing every time (assuming you've got flaps deployed to landing, hook out, and are flying proper approach speed)
Once you get a feel for the rhythm and sight picture switch out of WW view and back into the cockpit.

Lustvig
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Wow - thanks for all the quick responses, folks! Nice community you have here! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyhoo - I still am working on taking off (first two attempts were done by NOT steering to the runway - could not find it, barreling across the field and slamming into the farmer's plow - that guy should be shot for leaving his **** laying around!)

Then I need to work on landings on dirt. Be awhile before I do carriers...

But I LOVE torpedo planes - my favorite maps in Battlefield 1942: Forgotten Hope mod are the pacific maps with the unarmed green Japanese torp plane (a "Kate" I think???)

Yeah - that out-of-control dive is irritating...I like fighting the wind turbulance - that's cool. But I am fixing my joystick based on the posted 'easy' controls and adding some dead zone - should help.

I did get 2 kills on the Finnish mission vs. the Soviet IL-2s...but it was set on easy, so...

Man, X-Wings ARE advanced...easy space flying. Hell, even the modern-day helos I flew in Comanche Hokum on full realism were easier...what a challenge. Just what I was looking for!

Big Question: can I SELECT a target? I cannot seem to get padlock to work. Also, ground targets don't show...I was flying a mission over some island and spotted icons on the map, I flew over to check them out and start taking ground fire, so I returned to strafe and the little buggers were only visible cuase they were firing on me...I strafed the hell out of them...but no love...3 passes and they finally pasted me...

Wish there was a computer-assisted targeting for ground and ships...

Heck I flew over a Jap fleet in a Buffalo and didnt know they were until I saw the rising sun...and by then the sky was FULL of flak...ow.

Well..training weekend here I come...wish I could send the wife and kid on a weekend vacations somewhere.

avimimus
08-16-2007, 03:31 PM
This isn't EECH.

Throttle up gently during take off.

In some aircraft special techniques are required to quickly (adjusting throttle, lowering flaps, lowering landing gear) get out of a spin. You can find this out the old fasioned way: Fly to high altitude and experiment. Also try reducing maximum joystick deflection to 90% instead of 100% to avoid accidentally spinning (this is unnecessary in 1946).

There are only four torpedo planes in Il-2 and the torpedo model is limited (will be improved in BOB).

Padlock works (F4 key by default). If the object goes out of view for more than a few seconds you will loose it though. Find the ground targets by using your eyes. navigate by using terrain features.

AA guns sometimes take time before they start shooting (you have to be spotted and ammunition/gunners have to get to the weapons and aim them at you before they start to fire).

One more peace of advice: never shoot at something that is currently shooting at you.

Mig-3 and Pe-3 rule!

na85
08-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Gah, I forget who it was, but someone has a big list of campaigns he's made in his sig. They're training campaigns and one deals with take-offs and landings (carrier and dirt)

Bearcat99
08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
Gah, I forget who it was, but someone has a big list of campaigns he's made in his sig. They're training campaigns and one deals with take-offs and landings (carrier and dirt) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is Zeus Cat... and his campaigns can be found by hitting the Nugget's Guide link in my sig.

Lustvig....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Heck I flew over a J** fleet in a Buffalo and didnt know they were until I saw the rising sun...and by then the sky was FULL of flak...ow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are Japanese forum members here. Did you know that many Japanese people find the term J** very offensive? As a courtesy to our Japanese forum members we refrain from using the term on any of these boards. Please do the same. If you are typographically challenged (Or you just want to use 3 keys) please use IJN or IJA (Imperial Japanese Navy/Army) but do NOT use J**. This will be your only warning. I and the rest of the community here appreciate your cooperation.

and Welcome aboard........... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Zeus-cat
08-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Straight From the Farm is the training campaign I made. See the link below.

rockgardenlove
08-17-2007, 04:40 AM
This game does have quite a learning curve, indeed. Btw, I wouldn't use that padlock feature. I don't think that anybody else really does, and if you get online or anywheres virtually all servers will have it disabled.

Cheers, and good luck!

MrMojok
08-17-2007, 06:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockgardenlove:
This game does have quite a learning curve, indeed. Btw, I wouldn't use that padlock feature. I don't think that anybody else really does, and if you get online or anywheres virtually all servers will have it disabled.

Cheers, and good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, a server that has external views enabled will be full of guys flying around hitting the padlock button constantly. So you might as well do it too.

Or stay off of them altogether (my personal recommendation)