PDA

View Full Version : my thoughts on assassin's creed 1.

feswee
11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
ok i can see that everyone is busy with ACB which apparently just came out, while i just "finished" AC1 about an hour ago i couldn't find a separate place for it in the forums so i'm just posting here, some thoughts and questions i have about the game.

first off i'd like to say "hats off" to ubi soft for offering us this spectacular game with so much substance unlike any game i've played before, it has much philosophy and logic and culture and delicious mind food one can hardly find in books these days, let alone a game, i've never discussed a game in a forum ever before and never dreamed i would, for me they were always a pastime to get over with quickly and attend to real life matters. since i finished assassin's creed as fast as possible too, i really haven't wrapped my mind on what the truth of the game was, what is its identity or its message, usually for most games i'd start with a general idea of how the game should go and then if i'm lucky it would turn out there was more to the game then i anticipated, an example would be the game i played before AC; Kane and lynch2 dog days, i knew it would be two gangsters doing deals and killing police and other mobs, i was delightfully surprised at how the whole game was setting an atmosphere to deliver you what it means to lose everything, truly lose everything.
now back to AC, the number of times i came up for a template theme for the game i can't count, the game keeps developing and changing and morphing at a rate i couldn't quite follow considering my playing speed, i could barely form a new guess on how things will go when they change drastically and i start forming a new guess, at the beginning it seemed parallel to prince of persia's flashy duels and jumping around but in an open world like Prototype, since i've read about "al hashasheen" or assassins history before the game was produced, i was familiar with the setting, some things surprised me though like your targets being from every nationality and religion, which isn't very inaccurate i guess, they did cause trouble for muslims as much as they did for christians, but for some reason i thought they were sided more with muslims against the crusades, i did smile the first time i got my mission from the assassin's bearue and the white loading screen came then i(al-taier) woke up from cushions, it seems ubi soft decided to omit the delights the assassins indulged in prior to undertaking their missions, which isn't something i condone either. shortly later when my victims started defending themselves i thought it was all to add a light philosophical touch for the game, to give your enemies some depth, however when it started continuing, and al taier started listening seriously to their comparisons of themselves and their work to his, i thought the game was carrying a message to the youth to view the act of vigilance (or terrorism) of taking the law into your own hands and killing bad people for the betterment of society may not be really such, and that while from your perspective they may be damaging society, from theirs and others', they may be fixing it. but such message might've been very narrow for muslim youth only, which isn't to say are few but i still couldn't see how the whole game would be a message for them.

and then it seemed as if what was being said was that wars are because of religions, and how large scale violence arises from people taking their faiths too seriously, and how pacifically people can live if we would tone down our doctrines and learn to coexist..
..then that french archer guy who killed a priest because he was too afraid blew it, simply said there is no god and he's afraid of death because nothing comes after it...http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
which made me alter my previous viewpoint, the idea was simply saying that all religious wars are unnecessary because they're all wrong and no god exists to begin with, that religions are added differences to people when none exist, and those differences are what cause the conflict and are the "relative" evil each side sees in the other... all along the game went about not trusting what you're told by people you're supposed to trust, and al mualim's word were chosen carefully when he addressed the lies of your dying victims, so they would apply to him as well, in the beginning i thought this meant "don't trust the guy who sends you off with an explosive belt" which later seemed to me "don't trust your parents who tell you there's heaven after death", both are extrapolations from my part of course, but the latter was reinforced by the professor's sarcastic remark about "the book that says the world was created in 7 days"-"and it's a bestseller" when speaking about how unreliable books are in general, and especially in establishing facts about history as we know it. which makes me wonder about the meaning of the note in the beginning of the game, about how people of many faiths were involved in the creation of this game, i honestly can't see how said people joined to make foolishness out of all their religions.

now, while i do take religion seriously, and question the game makers' regard of religion in their game, i do not criticize the issues they raised in their game regarding religion, partly because i think most people who play the game won't make notice of it(i wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing), but also the jabs AC directed towards religion are very valid and objective ones, i don't know about presenting them to kids(see previous note), but they are definitely viable intellectual and social points to rise and debate, i see their criticism far from hateful bashing or under the belt insults...

then, with a jump afar from religion, the issue all of a sudden became pure philosophy, of whether ends justify the means, and what's so damn beautiful about it is that you don't read the dilemma off a book or hear it in a lecture, but live it through the game world shaped by actions carried out by characters you control and closely interact with, that way you truly realize what the political question is, and how hard it is to determine the correct one, if there was one.

from assassin's attempting to free the holy land for the people's beliefs versus templars who want to free the land from the people's faith, it has become assassin's who would rather leave the people fight their differences to settlement versus templars who're ready to fight them into settlement, the former allowing all choices the latter attempting to eliminate all choices but one. both seeking peace at the end.

and finally the brighter albeit shallower drama of deception, greed, and the threat of world domination by al mualim and the templars, some extra intrigue about your predecessors in the machine and your future, all nice and what you expect and get from action and drama games and films, but i was disappointed at how a game with such depth and rich complexity ended with such cheap elements of excitement to keep kids on a cliff hanger to get the new game. which is why i really think i'm not buying any of the new games unless they really contained the same depth as the first one, AC1 was too good of an experience to wash out with cheap flashy gameplay and a story of strong plots, not that those are not wanted, but the media is filled with productions which excelled at those aspects, while few have delivered one similar to AC's.

------------------------

apart from that a miscellaneous questions;
isn't there an equivalent of EA's Origin or Valve's Steam to ubi soft? one where you can activate your games online and maybe download them later on, get DLCs and follow up with achievements? uplay is very limited to a handful of games i own non of which.

what did the future(present) guy recognize in the name tag of lucy?

how many opportunities are you given to steal that yellow flashing pen? and what do you do with it exactly?

before you assassinate somebody you have to collect information about them, the side quests offered for that are more than what is required, the ones you omit while playing story mode, can you come back to later and hear what the pieces of information were?

is there any way or place where all the dialogue of the game is typed? like for example the subtitle files for the game, can i find them somehow? is there some fan site somewhere where they typed all the dialogue? can i request it from ubi soft?

that's all for now, thank you very much. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

feswee
11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
ok i can see that everyone is busy with ACB which apparently just came out, while i just "finished" AC1 about an hour ago i couldn't find a separate place for it in the forums so i'm just posting here, some thoughts and questions i have about the game.

first off i'd like to say "hats off" to ubi soft for offering us this spectacular game with so much substance unlike any game i've played before, it has much philosophy and logic and culture and delicious mind food one can hardly find in books these days, let alone a game, i've never discussed a game in a forum ever before and never dreamed i would, for me they were always a pastime to get over with quickly and attend to real life matters. since i finished assassin's creed as fast as possible too, i really haven't wrapped my mind on what the truth of the game was, what is its identity or its message, usually for most games i'd start with a general idea of how the game should go and then if i'm lucky it would turn out there was more to the game then i anticipated, an example would be the game i played before AC; Kane and lynch2 dog days, i knew it would be two gangsters doing deals and killing police and other mobs, i was delightfully surprised at how the whole game was setting an atmosphere to deliver you what it means to lose everything, truly lose everything.
now back to AC, the number of times i came up for a template theme for the game i can't count, the game keeps developing and changing and morphing at a rate i couldn't quite follow considering my playing speed, i could barely form a new guess on how things will go when they change drastically and i start forming a new guess, at the beginning it seemed parallel to prince of persia's flashy duels and jumping around but in an open world like Prototype, since i've read about "al hashasheen" or assassins history before the game was produced, i was familiar with the setting, some things surprised me though like your targets being from every nationality and religion, which isn't very inaccurate i guess, they did cause trouble for muslims as much as they did for christians, but for some reason i thought they were sided more with muslims against the crusades, i did smile the first time i got my mission from the assassin's bearue and the white loading screen came then i(al-taier) woke up from cushions, it seems ubi soft decided to omit the delights the assassins indulged in prior to undertaking their missions, which isn't something i condone either. shortly later when my victims started defending themselves i thought it was all to add a light philosophical touch for the game, to give your enemies some depth, however when it started continuing, and al taier started listening seriously to their comparisons of themselves and their work to his, i thought the game was carrying a message to the youth to view the act of vigilance (or terrorism) of taking the law into your own hands and killing bad people for the betterment of society may not be really such, and that while from your perspective they may be damaging society, from theirs and others', they may be fixing it. but such message might've been very narrow for muslim youth only, which isn't to say are few but i still couldn't see how the whole game would be a message for them.

and then it seemed as if what was being said was that wars are because of religions, and how large scale violence arises from people taking their faiths too seriously, and how pacifically people can live if we would tone down our doctrines and learn to coexist..
..then that french archer guy who killed a priest because he was too afraid blew it, simply said there is no god and he's afraid of death because nothing comes after it...http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
which made me alter my previous viewpoint, the idea was simply saying that all religious wars are unnecessary because they're all wrong and no god exists to begin with, that religions are added differences to people when none exist, and those differences are what cause the conflict and are the "relative" evil each side sees in the other... all along the game went about not trusting what you're told by people you're supposed to trust, and al mualim's word were chosen carefully when he addressed the lies of your dying victims, so they would apply to him as well, in the beginning i thought this meant "don't trust the guy who sends you off with an explosive belt" which later seemed to me "don't trust your parents who tell you there's heaven after death", both are extrapolations from my part of course, but the latter was reinforced by the professor's sarcastic remark about "the book that says the world was created in 7 days"-"and it's a bestseller" when speaking about how unreliable books are in general, and especially in establishing facts about history as we know it. which makes me wonder about the meaning of the note in the beginning of the game, about how people of many faiths were involved in the creation of this game, i honestly can't see how said people joined to make foolishness out of all their religions.

now, while i do take religion seriously, and question the game makers' regard of religion in their game, i do not criticize the issues they raised in their game regarding religion, partly because i think most people who play the game won't make notice of it(i wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing), but also the jabs AC directed towards religion are very valid and objective ones, i don't know about presenting them to kids(see previous note), but they are definitely viable intellectual and social points to rise and debate, i see their criticism far from hateful bashing or under the belt insults...

then, with a jump afar from religion, the issue all of a sudden became pure philosophy, of whether ends justify the means, and what's so damn beautiful about it is that you don't read the dilemma off a book or hear it in a lecture, but live it through the game world shaped by actions carried out by characters you control and closely interact with, that way you truly realize what the political question is, and how hard it is to determine the correct one, if there was one.

from assassin's attempting to free the holy land for the people's beliefs versus templars who want to free the land from the people's faith, it has become assassin's who would rather leave the people fight their differences to settlement versus templars who're ready to fight them into settlement, the former allowing all choices the latter attempting to eliminate all choices but one. both seeking peace at the end.

and finally the brighter albeit shallower drama of deception, greed, and the threat of world domination by al mualim and the templars, some extra intrigue about your predecessors in the machine and your future, all nice and what you expect and get from action and drama games and films, but i was disappointed at how a game with such depth and rich complexity ended with such cheap elements of excitement to keep kids on a cliff hanger to get the new game. which is why i really think i'm not buying any of the new games unless they really contained the same depth as the first one, AC1 was too good of an experience to wash out with cheap flashy gameplay and a story of strong plots, not that those are not wanted, but the media is filled with productions which excelled at those aspects, while few have delivered one similar to AC's.

------------------------

apart from that a miscellaneous questions;
isn't there an equivalent of EA's Origin or Valve's Steam to ubi soft? one where you can activate your games online and maybe download them later on, get DLCs and follow up with achievements? uplay is very limited to a handful of games i own non of which.

what did the future(present) guy recognize in the name tag of lucy?

how many opportunities are you given to steal that yellow flashing pen? and what do you do with it exactly?

before you assassinate somebody you have to collect information about them, the side quests offered for that are more than what is required, the ones you omit while playing story mode, can you come back to later and hear what the pieces of information were?

is there any way or place where all the dialogue of the game is typed? like for example the subtitle files for the game, can i find them somehow? is there some fan site somewhere where they typed all the dialogue? can i request it from ubi soft?

that's all for now, thank you very much. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AntiChrist7
11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
only 5 years too late....