PDA

View Full Version : [Spoliers] My Impression of ACR so far

crash3
11-12-2011, 08:17 AM
I saw about the first 2 or so hours of gameplay and this is what I think:

GOOD

-Much better Storyline, Templars arent simply bad guys like in ACB, they have more purpose and back story like in AC1 and AC2

-Better cinematics, you feel more immersed in the game

-Better locations in general, more variety than ACB

-Good we finally see subject 16 in 'person'

-Better assassin recruits in terms of variety, missions, personalities and weapons

BAD:

-AI still pretty dumb, some guards dont even turn to notice you as you run past them even in restricted areas

-Combat still too easy, gives no incentive to avoid guards and be stealthy unless 100% sync tells you to be stealthy-it doesnt give the player freedom as ubisoft would claim, the combat is just simply too easy. The guards need more abilities next game, all they seem to do is perform some clumsy attack. Leave assassin abilites alone for the while and focus on making guards more challenging

Overall though, ACR is definitely a big improvement since ACB mainly because of the storyline and better graphics in my opinion

what are your thoughts?

crash3
11-12-2011, 08:17 AM
I saw about the first 2 or so hours of gameplay and this is what I think:

GOOD

-Much better Storyline, Templars arent simply bad guys like in ACB, they have more purpose and back story like in AC1 and AC2

-Better cinematics, you feel more immersed in the game

-Better locations in general, more variety than ACB

-Good we finally see subject 16 in 'person'

-Better assassin recruits in terms of variety, missions, personalities and weapons

BAD:

-AI still pretty dumb, some guards dont even turn to notice you as you run past them even in restricted areas

-Combat still too easy, gives no incentive to avoid guards and be stealthy unless 100% sync tells you to be stealthy-it doesnt give the player freedom as ubisoft would claim, the combat is just simply too easy. The guards need more abilities next game, all they seem to do is perform some clumsy attack. Leave assassin abilites alone for the while and focus on making guards more challenging

Overall though, ACR is definitely a big improvement since ACB mainly because of the storyline and better graphics in my opinion

what are your thoughts?

Chronomancy
11-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Mind not spoiling it for people.

That would be great kthxbai.

dex3108
11-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Spoiler free impressions are welcomed. So try to respect others by keeping this tread clean of spoilers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mr_Shade
11-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Moving to hints and tips forum before someone ruins it...

billy-regal
11-12-2011, 09:13 AM
I'll also comment on my impression (NO SPOILERS, I assure you!), after playing for around 12 hours:

The city:
In my opinion the best job Ubisoft did in creating a lively city, yet. The hills and the sea make it much more diverse, each district has a distinct feeling, the streets are much livelier than in Rome, and it just feels bigger. As in every AC, you just have to stop sometimes and admire the view, listen to people (who this time comment on political developments relevant to the story). And yet, it is much easier to go travel in Constantinople: Rooftops are more interconnected, you have many grand boulevards and broad streets (so you don't get lost in narrow side streets that often any more), there are several layers of walkways, and the ziplines add to traversing the city so seamlessly that I don't use the sewers that often.

The graphics:
It still has the typical AC-look, but the graphics look a bit better than in Brotherhood. There are much more small details: small fires, butterflies or birds in the air, and especially huge improvements in the lighting and weather add to the already high standard. Facial animations are much improved, and the whole game looks much more cinematic.

The gameplay:
ACR builds on the Brotherhood formula, so there is a lot that you know already. You also know about the other additions, like den defense, bombs, eagle sense and the hook blade - while they are all fun, I think that the hook blade is the most valuable addition, because it gives the game a different pace. There are also a lot of nice little additions, where they introduced new gameplay elements for just one mission, which are really fun. I guess it's not a spoiler if I just mention the "minstrel mission" in Topkapi palace, that Ubisoft already showed. All in all, it is the most varied gameplay yet in an AC game, there are lots of different things to do.
Concerning the cinematics and the gameplay: Sometimes it feels very much like Uncharted, and you can see that the developers borrowed a bit of Nathan Drake in some linear missions - which is a good thing!
Yet, ACR suffers from the same problem the other games (and especially ACB) suffered: Enemies are far too easy. Of course, Ezio as a mentor should be able to kill scores of enemies, but you can even cut through hordes of janissaries (the ELITE guards of the sultan) like butter and without performing special moves. What makes it even worse: Like in Brotherhood, you have a....brotherhood. If you are like me and like to do lots of stuff besides playing the main missions, you soon will have a mighty army of assassins. And I mean, REALLY soon. I remember one mission were I had to be stealthy, and I just send in my assassins repeatedly who killed every enemy in sight, so I just walked through. When I want to conquer a templar den, I just sit on a roof, spot the templar boss and let my assassins kill them. This makes the mercenary fraction completely useless (and, in a way, diminishes the worth of the other fractions, as well). But, somehow I expected that, because every AC game was easier than the one before.
Yet, there is one thing that is really hard: The Desmond missions. I won't spoil anything, but they are something very special, that I didn't expect at all. It's a completely new gameplay mechanic, and it's visually stunning. AND, it's really hard, I guess that alone in Mission 3 I died more often than in all other AC games combined.

The story:
I won't say anything about the actual story. Just that: The game lives up to its name. I didn't finish it yet (and have no plans of doing it in the next days), but it already feels epic and much more story-driven. You always have the impression that there is something BIG that will be unravelled, and you always get a small slice of it. You really get to know much more of all the three main characters, and also some other pretty impressive stuff.
Not only the main plot is very story driven, also the side quests are. Even your assassins all have back stories, and you even get to do missions together with them, when you recruit them and when they get to be real assassins. There are much more side quests than in the previous games, and they are made so good that you don't feel like they are just fillers.
And, which is strange: In the previous games I had the feeling that Ezio's story was the bleak, revenge-filled one, and the time outside the animus was there to lighten the game up with sarcastic remarks by Shaun or the others. This time it's the opposite: Desmond's world is very very dark and bleak, you can really get depressed when you stay there for too long. Yet, Ezio now has much more humour. There are a lot of insiders for fans, that are really funny, he is constantly flirting with his future wife, and a lot of people (even on the street) make fun of Ezio's behaviour in his age. They built a lot of humour in the game, if you have seen Ezio singing, then you know what I mean. And, I guess, I never liked Ezio as much as in this game.

So, all in all, I have to say: So far I have the feeling as if this is the best AC yet! And, mind you, I haven't even been to Cappadocia! I thought that for the ones who don't own the game, yet, it maybe is reassuring to know: All the hype was worth it!

Mr_Shade
11-12-2011, 09:21 AM
thanks for your feedback http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm sorry that I am being very strict about spoilers - some people know very little about the game or plot - and want to keep it that way.

Thanks again for your understanding http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jexx21
11-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Personally, I WANT the combat to be easy. I play Stealthily not because I have to, but because I want to. If I wanted to just roll in and kill everyone in sight I want to be able to do that without it being a worse option than playing stealthily.

But I heard that it was harder than Brotherhood from some of the game sites who previewed it, so I'm wondering why you guys find it to be easier than Brotherhood. I mean, some of the guards throw bombs at you.

But what's more important than the difficulty of the combat, is the combat more fun than in ACB? Because honestly that's more important than the difficulty of it.

dex3108
11-12-2011, 10:06 AM
@billy-regal

Hi i have couple of questions that i hope you can answer.

How do you feel about missions? Are they better than in Brotherhood and are they intense? This question is related to main and side missions.

Altair missions how much they are long?

billy-regal
11-12-2011, 11:06 AM
@Jexx21: I know what you mean. Yet, I think it would be more rewarding if you would have the feeling that with stealth you could avoid combat that could be a heavy problem - if you don't care, because you are nearly invincible (and can always call in for enforcements), it takes away some of the charm for me. But that's a question of taste, I guess.
Concerning the "fun": Combat definitely is more fun than in ACB, because you now have much more possibilities. As I said, I don't want to spoil anything, because part of the fun is to experiment with that yourself, but let's just say that you can make pretty cool stuff with these bombs - apart from the booby traps and time-delayed bombs they mentioned in the trailers, you can craft some bombs that may not always be tactically the best choice, but the funniest one! The hook blade also allows for some new moves, so IF YOU WANT, combat can be very diverse. Yet, as I said, you can also come by with the typical hack and slay that you could use in ACB.
Concerning the difficulty: I was just talking about combat, not about the overall difficulty level. I didn't finish the game yet (statistics say I synchronized 50%), so I cannot say anything about that. Combat to me seems easier - yes, guards throw bombs, they carry guns more often , and there are more patrols on the streets - yet, you are also stronger. The missions I played so far were comparably to ACB's difficulty level, except the Desmond missions.

@woodex: It's hard to talk about missions without spoilers, and I really don't want to do that. Yet, as I said, they are more varied than in Brotherhood. Right now I have the feeling that I didn't play one mission design twice, every mission had something special. Of course you have the usual AC-stuff (following people stealthily, sneak into compounds, killing special persons, exploring dungeons), but they are all done with either a special gameplay mechanic that (so far) only appears in this mission, or something else that is special. Sometimes they feel a bit more linear than in previous games, but that is because they wanted to add more cinematics and scripted elements. Especially these linear missions are very epic and also the set pieces feel more like out of Uncharted than AC. What makes them "intense" is that they are woven into the story, you never have the feeling that you play this mission just because of the mission, but because you want - like Ezio - find out something important. That applies especially to the Altair missions, for which you will probably take like 10 minutes each. And, as I also mentioned, the Desmond missions are a kind of its own. I now understand why Ubisoft wanted to keep them secret at all costs. They are very cleveerly designed.
Side missions also don't feel generic, but they are very diverse. They added back stories to everything. I am really wondering how Ubisoft managed to build all that in such a short amount of time. It is really impressive.

dex3108
11-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Tnx man it is very little people on the web who is willing to say they impressions spoiler free http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jexx21
11-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Billy, you said the combat was easy and that you could kill the Janisarries really easily?

According to this topic: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...941069069#9941069069 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=9011039408&m=6051079069&r=9941069069#9941069069)

the combat against the Janisarries is hard, with them being able to counter the kill streaks and that it takes a while to kill them. Are you sure you just aren't far enough in the game?

Saqaliba
11-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Questions.

Can you air tackle?

Is there still First Person view without eagle vision?

TorQue1988
11-13-2011, 05:40 AM
A few questions:
1)Does the Romani faction have assignements?
2)Are there any horses at all?
3)What about Shop Quests?
4)Does the game feature moon phases and weather effects like rain and fog?

PtitRun56
11-13-2011, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by billy-regal:
I'll also comment on my impression (NO SPOILERS, I assure you!), after playing for around 12 hours:

... There are much more side quests than in the previous games... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been playing for 9hours, I'm now on the 5th sequence...and I saw like 3 or 4 side quests ! That's my big disappointment in this game. Compare to brotherhood, there's nothing to do in that big cities ! In brotherhood the map was absolutely full of "side assassination contracts", thief missions, Courtesans missions, Mercenaries missions...all this desapered in this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Jexx21
11-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Uhh.. you have the random missions. Those ARE side quests.

PtitRun56
11-13-2011, 10:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
Uhh.. you have the random missions. Those ARE side quests. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah...but as i said, they're not a lot of them, and they're not really long or interesting...

Jexx21
11-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Actually, there ARE a lot of them. They are continuously cycling through them. They should go on indefinitely.

TorQue1988
11-13-2011, 10:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
Actually, there ARE a lot of them. They are continuously cycling through them. They should go on indefinitely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think he means there are only a few types of them that keep repeating...

Jexx21
11-13-2011, 10:21 AM
That's kind of expected isn't it? I mean, they are just some extra stuff to do.

And Ubi said that there are still the normal side missions, just that they are bigger and less in quantity.

billy-regal
11-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Billy, you said the combat was easy and that you could kill the Janisarries really easily?
(...) Are you sure you just aren't far enough in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm now pretty far in the game and fighted A LOT OF janissaries, and they are still the same (everything else would be strange, though). Yet, I guess I had a misconception: From what I knew about Ottoman history, I imagined the janissaries as THE most elite guards you would encounter in the game, like the papal guards. But in ACR, they are everywhere, so the developers couldn't make them that strong. Of course they are not only "cannon fodder" like some other guards, but I expected a way bigger challenge. The brutes in AC2 or ACB were way harder to kill, in my opinion. But if I put you on the wrong track, then I'm sorry: They ARE harder than "normal" guards.

Concerning the side quests: There ARE indefinite (or that's what it looks like?) random quests, and with many missions it is hard to know if they are actually main missions or secondary missions. I also count the Desmond missions as "side quests", because you are not bound to do them. I personally did not like the generic side quests in ACB that much, so I was very content with what they did in ACR. But see for yourself, I guess tomorrow everybody in here will have the game.

@Torque 1988:
1)Does the Romani faction have assignements?
Not really. You do a main mission for them, though.
2)Are there any horses at all?
Not as in the other games. There are no horses in the city, and there is no countryside that you have to travel, but there are missions where you ride a cart.
3)What about Shop Quests?
If there are any, then I didn't see them.
4)Does the game feature moon phases and weather effects like rain and fog?
You have fog in the morning hours, and there are weather effects in some missions (like storm, rain or snow), but not randomly while walking around town.

On a side note: As probably most people will have the game by tomorrow, it would be nice if we could change this thread from a Q+A to a "first impressions" thread!It would be nice to hear what others think about the game!

tjbyrum1
11-13-2011, 05:34 PM
@Billy_Regal:

Heh, sorry man, but if it's fine I would like to ask a question.

What can you tell me about Assassin Recruits? Tell me everything their is to know about them without spoiling the storyline please.

Jexx21
11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Actually, there are Thief, Mercenary, and Romani 'assignments' in Revealtions, but they look like they are the same as the Faction Challenges in Brotherhood.

So, if you can't tell side missions from main missions, does that mean that the side missions are seriously tied into the main story?

I mean, the side missions in AC2 were really generic. It was races, beat up missions, courier missions, and assassination contracts. The only ones that tied in with the story were the assassination contracts, and that was just with 2 or 3 lines of text. Then there were the bigger side missions such as Templar Lairs and Assassin's Tombs, which actually did tie in with the story.

The side missions in Brotherhood actually tied in with the story through Templar Agents, Thief missions, Courtesan missions, Assassination contracts, Borgia Towers, and Christina memories. They all tied in with the story of the reconstruction of Rome and bringing it back to glory. And the bigger side missions such as the War Machines and Lairs of Romulus also tied in with the story.

So are the side missions of Revelations even tied in more than Brotherhood? that's amazing.

billy-regal
11-13-2011, 05:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjbyrum1:
@Billy_Regal:

Heh, sorry man, but if it's fine I would like to ask a question.

What can you tell me about Assassin Recruits? Tell me everything their is to know about them without spoiling the storyline please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you read the Hints & Tips forum, then you also watched the official videos, and then you know most of it already, I guess. For everyone else: MILD SPOILERS.

It's in fact an enhancement of the ACB recruits: As in ACB, you get to recruit more Assassins when you take over a part of the city. The recruitment process is done way better this time, because you have to do a small mission for your recruit. You can call in your recruited assassins just like in ACB, and you can send them to other cities just as in ACB. But they expanded on the last part a lot: Now you can actually take over cities around the Mediterranean from the Templars, and you get different rewards for doing that, like more money or new ingredients for bombs. You can change the appearance of your assassin a bit. There now are several ways how to upgrade your recruits, including den defense. When your recruit reaches assassin status, you can assign him to one of your dens (like the Borgia towers). Before you can do that, however, you have to do a special mission with him/her. (BTW: That's also what I meant with "more side quests"). This gives your assassins a little bit more individuality.

billy-regal
11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
@Jexx21: I meant that you can't tell which of the "bigger" side missions are actually side missions. It's a bit as in GTA4: There are several people who give you jobs, but then you can only advance if you did all of them. I probably can only give a real review when I finished the game. With "side quests" I meant missions that you don't have to play to finish the game, like for example the Desmond missions. And concerning the generic side missions: You have den defense now, which can happen indefinite times! And, as I said before, to me it feels as if EVERYTHING is much more tied into the (or a) story line than before. ACB felt (only story wise!) like an add-on, but with ACR you get more story developments than in any other AC game before. So, to answer your question: It depends on what you count as a side mission, but the ARE more story driven, and yes, it IS amazing!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jexx21
11-13-2011, 06:34 PM
ACB's story was originally planned to be tacked onto AC2, but I think near the end of development they decided that what they wanted was getting too big so they made a full game out of it and added multiplayer.

I think AC2's original plan was the have the 3 main cities of Florence, Venice, and Rome, and then have the Pazzi family for Florence, Barbarigo family for Venice, and the Borgia family for Rome. It does make sense IMO.

But honestly, I don't mind that they did split off the Borgia storyline from AC2. I feel like ACB's story was more detailed and offered better character development than AC2's was. Like a Quality over Quantity thing, ya know?

LieutenantJojo
11-13-2011, 08:59 PM
ACB's story was originally planned to be tacked onto AC2, but I think near the end of development they decided that what they wanted was getting too big so they made a full game out of it and added multiplayer.

I think AC2's original plan was the have the 3 main cities of Florence, Venice, and Rome, and then have the Pazzi family for Florence, Barbarigo family for Venice, and the Borgia family for Rome. It does make sense IMO.

But honestly, I don't mind that they did split off the Borgia storyline from AC2. I feel like ACB's story was more detailed and offered better character development than AC2's was. Like a Quality over Quantity thing, ya know? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, could be possible. It's good that they split the story in 2 however. It gave them the opportunity to update graphics and character models.

But this brings up something I've been thinking about, however... Because I missed traveling from city to city in ACB so much and Ubisoft was talking about Ezio trilogy, it got me thinking. What if they made some sort of Ezio-special edition? Combining AC2, ACB and ACR into 1 game? You'd see Ezio's entire life and be able to travel to Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Romagna, Rome, Constantinople, Monteriggioni and Masyaf in the game. Update the graphics, some changes here and there to make the 3 games seem like 1 and voilą, an Ezio-trilogy game. I know it will never happen of course, but I would really dig that.

Jexx21
11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Maybe in 10 years.

But returning to Rome and adding ziplines would be cool.