PDA

View Full Version : veterans beware, once again the stupidity of others

stugumby
05-23-2006, 10:29 AM
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has recently learned that an employee, a data analyst, took home electronic data from the VA, which he was not authorized to do. This behavior was in violation of our policies. This data contained identifying information including names, social security numbers, and dates of birth for up to 26.5 million veterans and some spouses, as well as some disability ratings. Importantly, the affected data did not include any of VA's electronic health records nor any financial information. The employee's home was burglarized and this data was stolen. The employee has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

Appropriate law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the VA Inspector General's office, have launched full-scale investigations into this matter. Authorities believe it is unlikely the perpetrators targeted the items because of any knowledge of the data contents. It is possible that they remain unaware of the information which they posses or of how to make use of it. However, out of an abundance of caution, the VA is taking all possible steps to protect and inform our veterans.

The VA is working with members of Congress, the news media, veterans service organizations, and other government agencies to help ensure that those veterans and their families are aware of the situation and of the steps they may take to protect themselves from misuse of their personal information. The VA will send out individual notification letters to veterans to every extent possible. Veterans can also go to www.firstgov.gov (http://www.firstgov.gov) as well as www.va.gov/opa (http://www.va.gov/opa) to get more information on this matter. The firstgov web site is being set to handle increased web traffic. Additionally, working with other government agencies, the VA has set up a manned call center that veterans may call to get information about this situation and learn more about consumer identity protections. That toll-free number is 1-800-FED INFO (333-4636). The call center will be open beginning today, and will operate from 8 am to 9 pm (EDT), Monday-Saturday as long as it is needed. The call center will be able to handle up to 20,000 calls per hour (260,000 calls per day).

The Secretary of Veterans Affairs R. James Nicholson has briefed the Attorney General and the Chairman of the Federal Trade Commission, co-chairs of the President's Identity Theft Task Force. Task Force members have already taken actions to protect the affected veterans, including working with the credit bureaus to help ensure that veterans receive the free credit report they are entitled to under the law. Additionally, the Task Force will meet today, 22 May 2006, to coordinate the comprehensive Federal response, recommend further ways to protect affected veterans, and increase safeguards to prevent the reoccurrence of such incidents.

The VA's mission to serve and honor our nation's veterans is one we take very seriously and the 235,000 VA employees are deeply saddened by any concern or anxiety this incident may cause our veterans and their families. We appreciate the service our veterans have given their country and we are working diligently to protect them from any harm as a result of this incident.

stugumby
05-23-2006, 10:29 AM
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has recently learned that an employee, a data analyst, took home electronic data from the VA, which he was not authorized to do. This behavior was in violation of our policies. This data contained identifying information including names, social security numbers, and dates of birth for up to 26.5 million veterans and some spouses, as well as some disability ratings. Importantly, the affected data did not include any of VA's electronic health records nor any financial information. The employee's home was burglarized and this data was stolen. The employee has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

Appropriate law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the VA Inspector General's office, have launched full-scale investigations into this matter. Authorities believe it is unlikely the perpetrators targeted the items because of any knowledge of the data contents. It is possible that they remain unaware of the information which they posses or of how to make use of it. However, out of an abundance of caution, the VA is taking all possible steps to protect and inform our veterans.

The VA is working with members of Congress, the news media, veterans service organizations, and other government agencies to help ensure that those veterans and their families are aware of the situation and of the steps they may take to protect themselves from misuse of their personal information. The VA will send out individual notification letters to veterans to every extent possible. Veterans can also go to www.firstgov.gov (http://www.firstgov.gov) as well as www.va.gov/opa (http://www.va.gov/opa) to get more information on this matter. The firstgov web site is being set to handle increased web traffic. Additionally, working with other government agencies, the VA has set up a manned call center that veterans may call to get information about this situation and learn more about consumer identity protections. That toll-free number is 1-800-FED INFO (333-4636). The call center will be open beginning today, and will operate from 8 am to 9 pm (EDT), Monday-Saturday as long as it is needed. The call center will be able to handle up to 20,000 calls per hour (260,000 calls per day).

The Secretary of Veterans Affairs R. James Nicholson has briefed the Attorney General and the Chairman of the Federal Trade Commission, co-chairs of the President's Identity Theft Task Force. Task Force members have already taken actions to protect the affected veterans, including working with the credit bureaus to help ensure that veterans receive the free credit report they are entitled to under the law. Additionally, the Task Force will meet today, 22 May 2006, to coordinate the comprehensive Federal response, recommend further ways to protect affected veterans, and increase safeguards to prevent the reoccurrence of such incidents.

The VA's mission to serve and honor our nation's veterans is one we take very seriously and the 235,000 VA employees are deeply saddened by any concern or anxiety this incident may cause our veterans and their families. We appreciate the service our veterans have given their country and we are working diligently to protect them from any harm as a result of this incident.

Bearcat99
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
26,000,000..... Persaonally I think the man should be brought up oin criminal charges. If someone working for the IRS had done that he would be arrested.

AVG_WarHawk
05-24-2006, 06:08 PM
OMG!....what if they discover I have no identity to steal! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Attention: This was an automated response, please do not respond.

RamsteinUSA
05-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Us Veteran's expect the FUBAR's. It was daily life while we served and continues at eveyr level of our screwed up government.

hkg36sd
06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Yup, I got my letter from the Secretary of Veterans Affairs saying that they are aware, and to be careful of those posing as VA reps.
kinda scary.

tigertalon
06-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Why oh why so many people around here think that only americans are posting and reading these forums... I certainly don't mean such posts are not wellcomed, but an introductory sentence with US included would be nice, eg. <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">US</span> veterans...

LW_lcarp
06-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Yep got that letter in the mail about 2 weeks ago. Let em go ahead and steal my identity they will get nothing from it anyway as ive got nothing from it myself.

Whats the worst they can do give me good credit. Get over it the risk is small.

The people will go after the BIG fish that have
money. And something to lose. Me Nothing to lose and dont care. Your beloved U.S. Army Vet

Oh and what happened to my post count was at 900+ and now blah im a Cruit again

jolulure
06-16-2006, 03:18 AM
Ohh ****!!! they discovered me!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

lol

JarheadEd
06-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Well the guys who stole my info from the VA will be in direct competition with the ones who stole it from Boeing. What a great year for credit report companies. At least Boeing fessed up within 24 hours instead of waiting three weeks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

RamsteinUSA
06-16-2006, 10:57 AM
I only got my letter yesterday... so they are stil sending htem, wil take a long while with 5o million stolen...

I suppose that each of us getting $10,000 USD to help compensate is out of the question ?

Ishmael932
06-16-2006, 07:55 PM
I got my letter a few days ago. I'm not worried. Since my credit is so screwed up anyway from a divorce, anyone stealing my credit would have to pay my bills.(laughing maniacally). The surest way to prevent identity theft is to have crappy credit.

BSS_CUDA
06-17-2006, 08:37 AM
ya got my letter a couple of days ago, I guess looking at the bright side if there is one, the chances of them choosing my info is 1 in 26 million http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

VF51_Flatspin
06-19-2006, 08:21 AM
I rec'd a letter regarding this too.

I'm also a victim of ID theft from a few years back. Your credit doesn't mean spit to those who would steal your ID -- they'll charge you to the max, put you in the hole, then move on.

I don't want to start a flail-fest, but even those of you who think you're safe because your credit sucks should still watch your accounts.

JG52_Helgstrand
06-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Didn't get my letter yet, but like some of you here it don't really make much diff to me...

No credit, no bank acount, no life...LOL

But I got my tin-foil-hat on about this one. Are the gov setting us up to except a chip implant as ID? I read a comment by a 'victim' who said 'How can you trust anyones ID anymore when almost anybody could have access to it?'...
'Sry sir, but we can't except your driving license, we only except the chip as verification of your identification'

Maybe I'm just paranoid?

Bearcat99
06-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Did you all know that due to this snafu each and every effected vet is entitled to free credit monitoring for a year? Check it out.....

They are still working out the kinks and lobbying for bids from agencies.. but when it is all said and done....

BFawlty
06-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Got mine also, read something like they don't think the theives knew what they got! Maybe they didn't but after the media got the story, the whole world knew! Oh Bearcat99 thanks for that credit monitoring info, will watch for that. I second what was said above even with poor credit don't just figure oh well, keep an eye on it.

BF

Eagle_361st
06-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Yep got my letter too and have followed their instructions. I will be monitoring my credit and appreciate the efforts though honestly I think they could do more. But my suspicious nature leads me to believe that these records were not "stolen" but were sold, we will have to wait for the details to come to light if they ever do. Until then cross your fingers and do follow their instructions having "poor" credit is not going to stop anyone from commiting fraud.