PDA

View Full Version : Lets stir the pot a bit.. aircraft to fly

RaVe_N
01-26-2007, 09:10 AM
What's the best aircraft to fly in this sim.. This question is often asked
many get wrapped up in techno Babel about it .
I think the answer is simple .....

IMHO...
Its not about the aircraft ,
its about how you fly it. A good pilot can out maneuver anyone in any aircraft it's that simple.
Its about tactics and quick decisions, instinct and aggression.
It's not the silly Air craft its the Pilot.
Each AC has its attributes . Exploiting the others aircrafts weakness to your planes advantages is were the kills mount.

You need to trap the other guy... For that you need to out smart him.. with the knowledge of his and your aircraft. The manipulation of the advisory to your aircrafts attributes will create your success in anything you fly..

RaVe_N
01-26-2007, 09:10 AM

IMHO...
its about how you fly it. A good pilot can out maneuver anyone in any aircraft it's that simple.
Each AC has its attributes . Exploiting the others aircrafts weakness to your planes advantages is were the kills mount.

You need to trap the other guy... For that you need to out smart him.. with the knowledge of his and your aircraft. The manipulation of the advisory to your aircrafts attributes will create your success in anything you fly..

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Whichever one I want to fly at the time...simple question http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

HamishUK
01-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Suddenly my life is complete after 5 years of playing this game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

RaVe_N
01-26-2007, 09:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
Whichever one I want to fly at the time...simple question http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly Thunderbolt right on the money. Its a stupid question for sure. That was the Point.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG14_Josf
01-26-2007, 09:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's not the silly Air craft its the Pilot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's stir.

It is curiously convenient to have RgD Thunderbolt56 respond before me.

When the relative aircraft performance variables are known, then, the unknown pilot factor becomes very important.

Example:

My wingman and I were flying low and slow with a good match-up in relative low and slow turn performance opponent planes on the roster and we were confident because we were using teamwork.

We met two opponents flying as a team. This is rare.

Well...the other team spanked us.

We could blame it on our planes. That would be pointless. We chose to fly low and slow and the planes were nearly even in performance. That is why we chose to fly low and slow.

I can't remember the match-up. It may have been 109G vs Yak. I really can't remember.

TgD Thunderbolt56 was one of the opponents. Perhaps he remembers.

My point: The plane does matter. The pilot does matter. The team work does matter. It all matters.

We would not have taken on the fight while flying an Fw190A-8 vs Yak3 match-up low and slow. That is ridiculous. In that case the plane matters. The plane dictates the tactics.

When I log onto a server the first thing I look for is the pilot list. It doesn't take long to know which pilots that must be respected. Zoom comes to mind on Warclouds. That SIM pilot can do amazing things in a furball. If he is on and flying a Spit, then, I tell my wingman that it is a bad day to get low and slow. If TgD Thunderbolt56 is on and flying a P-47, (its been awhile since I've been flying) then, I look for other P-47s. Sure enough I may find a pair at 8,000 meters.

When it comes down to two planes of equal performance, then, two pilots find out who is better, luckier, or who can see the other first.

Example:

I'd been watching one pilot on for some time. He was one of those who went about flying his P-51 picking off stragglers. I really wanted this guy and my wingman wasn't on so I spent a lot of time just under the vapor producing altitude of 7.000 meters.

I saw a dot and we passed. It was a P-51 and this guy did not engage.

Clue: He and I were not interested in anchoring a fight from 7,000 meters. We wanted easy meat. He went one way. I went another way.

I thought: Which way will he be going to set something up?

I set him up based upon my estimate.

Sure enough I saw a dot heading in my expected direction and I managed to angle in unnoticed.

It was an excellent set-up. I nailed the P-51 with a 30 mm. He banked over to the right and down trailing smoke. Then his plane disappeared. I got the message that player XXX exited the game. I got the blue enemy aircraft destroyed message. I did not get the points. It was the player I was hunting.

I am confident that TgD Thunderbolt56 knows this type of competition. That is why I look for his handle on the roster.

If Zoom is flying around at 7,000 meters in a Spitfire, then, I have yet to see it happen. He doesn't as far as I know. The Spitfire is a killer at 7,000 meters if the fight is anchored or going up. If the fight is going down and away from 7,000 meters then the Spitfire has to find another target.

The plane matters. The pilot matters. A team of players in a good competitive plane match-up matter and you won't know what I'm talking about until you get in one of those types of two on two dog fights. After the engagement, which took at least 5 minutes, it no longer mattered to me who won, kind of, sort of, what mattered was the competition. It was a tough fight and a real test of team tactics. It was unique and positively exhilarating.

That was a fight to remember. I have it somewhere on track files. I didn't record the audio on teamspeak. That would have been entertaining to play back with an R rating.

fordfan25
01-26-2007, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RaVe_N:

IMHO...

You need to trap the other guy... For that you need to out smart him.. with the knowledge of his and your aircraft. The manipulation of the advisory to your aircrafts attributes will create your success in anything you fly.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>online in warclouds i have found the Tempist and the Fw190D to be the two i have the best luck. in.

BSS_AIJO
01-26-2007, 12:59 PM
yup,

Its the pilot!

Me and a squad mate were flying the other night him in a p51 and me in a spite mark IX. We were hanging around at 27 thousand feet lookgin for a fight. We found one, dove in made some kills and rtb'd before anyone knew what hit them. It worked becaue we were doing things right. On the second sortie we got in a poinltes chase down low for too long and suddenly were surrounded by everyone flying blue at time. Then we got spanked.

BSS_AIJO

Mysticpuma2003
01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Tricky question really.

I fly a variety of planes, mainly spit and 190 if I want easy kills, but I have to say I love the P-47 and the P-38.

If I'm pounding the ground, I'll ship out with a fully laden P-38, but if I have a team-mate I'll take the P-47 up to alt. and have fun B'n'Z all day (and night!)

Ultimately if I had to have just one plane in this sim......it will always be the P-47...always..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

rnzoli
01-26-2007, 02:53 PM
All factors count + luck comes into the picture, too.
Picking out the pilot as the sole reason to lose a fight is just the same mistake as blaming only the plane.

Norbert Hannig was an excellent FW-190A ace who fought through the war, but even he had to admit that he could not combat the American aircraft when he was intercepted while flying an unarmed Storch (he was trying to get back to his home after the surrender).

Ken_Det
01-26-2007, 04:52 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDHDnUXR52o*Q5ALVOQJ!lG0IOs42QkKUlEneYAFGPDUL4m1 OrohKSGpb53Q2vg4IJbtGTJbTNZhZbLoC7diAxF*YcCb6j5iOH jsUV3RgTjqak27iE*9g/Picture%20001.bmp?dc=4675546606309725885
And this for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0awDqD7YhD2Bqb*40*iiYV1wieOayI!hzAIM9oLFTik0f9x!A8 TbVgKfF4LtXZR4YlNAaYfD!cry0EZqd1YUVq0w!92w*nF2X8dq cJv78x7k23WoFeGHwtYZlPRse8nC0BgTLWqB3D1M5HynyqIJxt *Czb3dHMFsu/iviewcapture_date_17_09_2006_time_18_51_59.jpg?dc= 4675590589689199709

VW-IceFire
01-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Lets put things this way...on the subject of "aircraft to fly" the answer is "all of them". We have 250 some odd flyable aircraft now. I'm still working my way through the 1946 aircraft but until 1946 came out I had flown every single one of them and 95% of them in combat. Lots of fun to be had in every way!

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-26-2007, 07:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG14_Josf:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's not the silly Air craft its the Pilot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...When I log onto a server the first thing I look for is the pilot list. It doesn't take long to know which pilots that must be respected... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the same thing I do. While I have a few favorite aircraft (for both sides) I'll weigh the task at hand and the pilots on the server and let that dictate my rules-of-engagement...and Jg14_Josf is one that I've had some memorable tussles with.

TB

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-26-2007, 10:52 PM
I love them all...and can certainly hold my own in any of them.