PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of the White cowl lines on Corsair?

Texas LongHorn
10-24-2004, 06:27 AM
This may sound like a really dumb question coming from an absolute aviation freak (and A&P)- but what are the white lines painted in front of the canopy on the Carsair? Many different examples show the white painted lines. Is this to show the main maintanence area? All the best, LongHorn

pacettid
10-24-2004, 06:33 AM
If memory serves me correctly, there is an access panel directly in front of the canopy on the Corsair. This access panel was apparently notorious for leaking oil, which was picked up by the slipstream and deposited onto the canopy...very bad for visibility.

Using typical yankee ingenuity, I believe ground crews used white, medical type adhesive tape to seal this panel.

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2004, 06:39 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Absolutly correct !

Sensei

Texas LongHorn
10-24-2004, 06:46 AM
LOL... I should have known, it was typical of the type of "inventive" maintanence work that was sometimes required in the PTO <ggg.> All the best, LongHorn

Fliger747
10-24-2004, 07:49 AM
That access pannel is directly over the fuel tank.

In the early F4U's oil would leak from the hydraulic cowl flap actuators and 'fog' the windshield. That is why the later Corsairs had the top ones plated over. The F4U-2 night fighters (a 'birdcage') used an alcohol 'window cleaner' system to help keep good night visibility.

stansdds
10-24-2004, 09:17 AM
The white lines directly forward of the windscreen on the Corsair was tape applied over the panel joints over the main fuel tank. The cowl flaps also tended to allow oil to fly back onto the windscreen on the early Corsairs. The upper most portion of cowl flaps were eliminated on the -1A and all later variants of the Corsair.

VF-3Thunderboy
10-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Boyington had to stand up, unbuckle his seat belt, and try to wipe of the oil mist off of the windscreen on one of his last missions, - at about 6000 ft alt or so.- He got the crappy old F4u-1 corsair that day...

Latico
10-24-2004, 12:54 PM
I wonder why they didn't just fix the oil leaks to begin with?

VF-17_Jolly
10-24-2004, 12:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Latico:
I wonder why they didn't just fix the oil leaks to begin with? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was a production line thing not something you can properly fix in the field hense the heath robinson fix http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stretch_ACL_
10-24-2004, 07:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Latico:
I wonder why they didn't just fix the oil leaks to begin with? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a radial engine. If it ain't leakin', it's empty.

Round engines are notorious for leaking oil. Every radial engined aircraft I've ever seen has a large reserve oil tank so the engine can't throw out the entire oil supply while operating normally. These tanks aren't measured in quarts but gallons just to give an idea of how much reserve is usually carried (most inline engined combat aircraft have them as well).

I've only ever seen one radial engine not leak oil during operation. Its a Continental R-670 in a friend's N2S-3 Stearman. This engine benefits from modern seals and hoses made from materials that weren't available in WW II. His Texan on the other hand, well, lets just say its able to change it's own oil...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Online as BSS_Stretch

VMF223_Smitty
10-24-2004, 10:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliger747:

In the early F4U's oil would leak from the hydraulic cowl flap actuators and 'fog' the windshield. That is why the later Corsairs had the top ones plated over. The F4U-2 night fighters (a 'birdcage') used an alcohol 'window cleaner' system to help keep good night visibility. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It also served to keep gas fumes out of the cockpit. High on fumes was not the way to fly

fordfan25
10-24-2004, 10:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VMF223_Smitty:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliger747:

In the early F4U's oil would leak from the hydraulic cowl flap actuators and 'fog' the windshield. That is why the later Corsairs had the top ones plated over. The F4U-2 night fighters (a 'birdcage') used an alcohol 'window cleaner' system to help keep good night visibility. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It also served to keep gas fumes out of the cockpit. High on fumes was not the way to fly <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA far im consernd its the ONLY way to fly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif