PDA

View Full Version : Do you recommend the new 19" Plasma monotor?

drsmith
05-18-2005, 07:19 PM
I have a 19" ViewSonic monotor which I purchased in 2000...5 years ago. I'm having no problems, it takes up a bunch of desk space, but I'm always looking for something "better". However, I recently read that these thin plasma monotors are not as sharp for gaming images as the older monotors. Any input on this subject?

drsmith
05-18-2005, 07:19 PM
I have a 19" ViewSonic monotor which I purchased in 2000...5 years ago. I'm having no problems, it takes up a bunch of desk space, but I'm always looking for something "better". However, I recently read that these thin plasma monotors are not as sharp for gaming images as the older monotors. Any input on this subject?

DarkBlueMan
05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure about Plasma monitors?? I have a 19" TFT monitor if that's what you mean and for me the graphics are sharper than anything I have seen on a CRT.

I have been through a few over the years. 15" CRT, 17" CRT, 19" CRT, 17" TFT and now 19" TFT.
I will never go back to CRT.

My BenQ FP937s uses 40W's of power, the lighbulb in my Computer room uses more juice! In comparison to CRT's you will be amazed at how little space TFT's use.

drsmith
05-18-2005, 08:38 PM
OK...Thanks for the info...but what does TFT stand for and what does it mean? In other words, I called a "flat screen, thin monotor" a Plasma monotor. Maybe I'm not talking about plasma. Are you saying that if I get a TFT l9" monotor it will probably be sharper than the 5 yr. old Viewsonic I now own? And, what brand of TFT would you recommend and about what is the cost?

DarkBlueMan
05-18-2005, 08:50 PM
TFT (Thin Film Transistor) basically an LCD screen.
Mine cost 199 (about $360).
I can't guarantee that it would be sharper, but there's a pretty good chance considering how old yours is and how far monitors have advanced in 5 years!
It's best to shop around on the net and get reviews and decide which you think is the best for you. The reviews for my monitor rate it average to above average. My personal review is way above average.
This is my second TFT and I have had to tweak the monitor settings considerably to get it to my liking. In my experience the screens were set far too bright so I had to tone them down. Also when the screen was displaying a dark image or black (screensaver) there would be brighter areas at the edge of the screen (the monitor lamps). A combination of adjusting the monitor brightness and contrast levels elimnated this faint glow at the edges.
Took me a good hour to get the monitor to my liking but it is now perfect.

VW-IceFire
05-18-2005, 10:46 PM
TFT = Pretty good
Plasma = Buzz word but not really all that good as the fluid runs out in about 5 years on the average display.

TFT's are far more common for computers. Most people call them "flat panel" or "LCD" monitors.

WFLZ
05-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Plasma isn't just a "Buzz Word" at all. If you want info about plasmas in general I recommend these two sites.

www.plasmatvscience.org (http://www.plasmatvscience.org)
www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com (http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com)