PDA

View Full Version : cant get into fighter

tieplate
08-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi I don't know why I'm unable to get into the airplane at the start of the dynamic campaign for the USN also landing gear wont come up in the usn carrier training missions thanks for any help Rick

tieplate
08-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi I don't know why I'm unable to get into the airplane at the start of the dynamic campaign for the USN also landing gear wont come up in the usn carrier training missions thanks for any help Rick

Wilburnator
08-10-2005, 04:52 PM
For the landing gear question, I assume you are talking about the Wildcat mission. Wildcats have manual gear retraction. You must assign a key each to raise and lower the gear manually, and when you operate the gear you must hit this key repeatedly until you see the "gear raised" or "gear down" message.

Dunno about the campaign thing, sorry.

Hoarmurath
08-10-2005, 05:20 PM
can you be more specific about your problem when starting your campaign?

BrotherVoodoo
08-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Maybe you are in external view? Hit F1?

tieplate
08-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Wow I did not know that you only had manual crank for the gear like those guys didn't have enough to do when they took off. I can fix that with an assigned key thanks. The other problem is when I go to the campign and select a usn then start the mission i am in the water when i hit my in/out cockpit key i go to the deck of the carrier and can see the planes lined up on the deck but i can't get in to start the engine or anything so the plane sits there. Thanks again. going to work will check back later Rick

Atomic_Marten
08-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Also be sure to remove chocks under gears of your airplane. Otherwise it won't move nowhere form carrier.

Map your desired key for that in "Controls" section.

Chuck_Older
08-10-2005, 07:55 PM
In/Out cockpit key??

I am sorry; this does not exist. You cannot leave the cockpit except by bailing out, and you do not need to enter the cockpit to start the aircraft- you are automatically placed in the aircraft at the beginning of each and every mission, with absolutely zero exceptions.

Please check your command reference card or instruction manual and tell us what key you are actually pressing when you refer to the "in/out cockpit" key

Hoarmurath
08-10-2005, 08:01 PM
What you describe look a lot like trying to fly an AI plane in a dogfight mission.

As far as i know, it is impossible to do this in offline missions.

Hoarmurath
08-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Well, let check together the necessary steps to start a USN campaign

First, you will need to select the option "pilot career" on main screen

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1580/camp11wi.jpg

it is the option i have highlighted in red

then you will arrive on this screen. Here you can see that i already have an ongoing campaign, but what we want to do is start a new one, so let hit the "new" button (highlighted in red again)

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4909/camp23bm.jpg

Then you will have to choose the force you will fly for. for a US navy career, choose the USN (1)

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7996/camp35yv.jpg

on your right, choose then a USNavy fighter career(2)

Don't forget to have a look at your difficulties options, as you can't change them later in your campaign (3). An important difficulty option in career mode is the "no instant success" option. Don't forget to uncheck it, so you can continue your campaign if you survive your mission, even if your mission is otherwise failed (if let checked, you will need to succeed in your mission to be allowed to go to next one).

Once you have finished with your choices, hit start (4)

You will then arrive to a new screen. On this screen, you have several possibilities that are important for your campaign...

First, you can choose your squadron

Second, you can choose several options for your campaign, when you start it, and what will be the planes you will fly at different stages.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7605/camp49qb.jpg

on this screen, you can see that you are starting in the coral sea. If you want to start in the mariannas only, you have to select the mariannas stage :

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/9105/camp52jb.jpg

Here i have selected the marianna stage of the carrer as starting point. This mean that i won't be playing any of the stages before that one.

You also have the possibility to choose all the planes you will fly for each stage of your career. Just click on each plane name to make your choice :

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/6884/camp64eh.jpg

Once you have chosen all the planes you will fly during your career, don't forget to reselect the stage at which you want to start your career. Then hit the "generate" button.

You will then arrive at your first briefing screen. You can have a look at your squadron with the "roster" button, and change your plane skin and weapon load (if your rank is high enough for you to choose) with the arming button.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/118/camp78lw.jpg

Once you are ready, hit "fly", and you are in your cockpit...

Hoarmurath
08-10-2005, 08:57 PM
i think i understand your problem. I got it after someone had the same problem in GD... Have you applied all necessary patches?

from the readme :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 4.01 patch installs only over 3.03 or 3.04 (PF stand alone).
The 4.01m patch installs only over 3.03m or 3.04m (FB+AEP+PF merged).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tully__
08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
It's a patch issue.

For standalone PF:

Install PF
Install patch pf_patch303.exe (100MB)
Install patch pf_patch401.exe (100MB)

For merged FB/AEP/PF:

Install FB
Install AEP
Install PF
Install patch pf_patch303m.exe (100MB)
Install patch pf_patch401m.exe (141MB)

You can get the correct patches at: http://www.3dgamers.com/games/pacificfighters/downloads/
Not that the standalone patches do not have "m" in the file name and the merged patches do.

Hoatee
08-12-2005, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tieplate:
Wow I did not know that you only had manual crank for the gear like those guys didn't have enough to do when they took off. I can fix that with an assigned key thanks. The other problem is when I go to the campign and select a usn then start the mission i am in the water when i hit my in/out cockpit key i go to the deck of the carrier and can see the planes lined up on the deck but i can't get in to start the engine or anything so the plane sits there. Thanks again. going to work will check back later Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to worry - I'm willing to bet a lot of players were stumped by the manual gear thingy - I know I was.

Saunders1953
08-12-2005, 07:11 AM
I think you've downloaded a coop mission. That's happened to me before just as you described---starting on blue water/sky, and even though pressing the external view locked on the lead plane of #1 flight, I couldn't get inside the cockpit no matter what view I pressed.

By their nature, coop missions don't have a player plane checked. You need to go into the Full Mission Builder, find the mission in the appropriate file, load the mission, find the icon of the flight that has whichever aircraft you want to fly in it(most missions would put you in the #1 plane of the #1 flight of a particular squadron) and click on it, then click on "View" in the upper border of the FMB screen, which will give you a drop-down list, then click "Object." The flight's stats will appear in a drop-down box, so click "Plane 1" (or if you want to fly wingman or second element leader or second element wing, check 2, 3 or 4 accordingly)and the box will change to show several lines for choosing a skin, pilot, skill, etc. There is a little box above those lines that says "Player"---check that and exit FMB (click "Yes" when asked whether you want to save the mission). You can then go back into the single player screen and choose the mission. (You could just press "Play" from the drop-down list in the FMB to check to make sure everything works before you close out of the FMB.)

Sorry, I'm at the office and doing this from memeory, so my directions probably aren't too clear. If you haven't worked in the FMB before--check this out and my directions should make some sense:

http://www.jumpintojapan.com/

Good luck.

Tully__
08-12-2005, 08:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think you've downloaded a coop mission... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not if he's playing the dynamic campaign...a missing cockpit in a single player or campaign mission that "came with the game" is almost certainly a patch issue, see my post above.

Saunders1953
08-12-2005, 11:33 AM
How did I miss the "dynamic campaign" part? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

tieplate
08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm back from work which takes me out of town just got home. First let me thank everyone for their input . The manual gear up works great. But I think I had messed up somewhere with patches or something ,so after trying everything and not going anywhere I deleted my combined FB+Pf and reinstalled just PF with the correct patches for the stand alone and Every thing works great. I have had PF since it came out and was just learning to play it when my best bud the guy who introduced me to sims when Chuck Yeager's Air combat was new , suddenly gave up all computer simming so that was kind of a hit on my gaming and I just kinda backed off from simming for a while But I'm getting back into it and thanks to you all Im off to a new start. Think I'll try a USN campaign in a SBD .......Rick

antifreeze
08-14-2005, 03:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I deleted my combined FB+Pf and reinstalled just PF </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I think that was the wrong decision. You aren't going to be able to play online to any degree with standalone PF, because almost everyone else uses the merged install. In my opinion it is worth the effort to obtain AEP (aces expansion pack... which incidentally you don't mention; you need it for the merged install. Maybe that is why your merge didn't work?), and the merged versions of the patches.
PF standalone is like having a third of the game installed.

mrpynk
08-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Hmmm, I am having the same problem as Tieplate. I'm totally new to this I generally only race online, thought I would give this a go as it looks fabulous. Bought all the disks last spring, installed them and was just trying to learn how to take-off and land, when a HD failure wiped out my install. Just got around to trying to re-install everything FB AEP PF, then installed all the patches (with the "m") in succession...Finally got my Joystick/Throttle hooked back up last night and went back to training mission to learn how to take off from a deck...and each time just goes to a veiw of endless ocean...;-) my f1 key does nothing, my f2 and f3 keys take me to the default veiws and so I am stuck, I can watch the AI but I can't get in the plane.
I guess I will uninstall everything once again, and reboot between "layers this time, can't think of what else to try...very frustrating this is...lol.
Terry (pynk) McNeil

johann63
08-14-2005, 07:37 PM
as a side note question, your pilot Frank Hellekin, was this a real dude and was he born in Charlottesville?

just curious