PDA

View Full Version : Next gen this and next gen that

StrikerFIN
03-06-2007, 01:42 AM
This is kinda offtopic, but I don´t understand people who criticize AC about graphics. I think they looked great, really great, better than Gears of War.

Don´t whine about how you want better graphics all the time, XBOX360 has it´s limits, and present games are close to those limits. Don´t expect any big leaps in the graphics on this console.

Gears of War looks good mainly because it´s colour pattern is quite small. I know this as a pro graphic designer. When you have an enviroment with all the objects about the same colour, it is much easier to create believable reflections of light. In true life, all objects radiate the colour they are to their enviroment, and most objects reflect. ALSO other than glass and shiny metal objects. With the power of X360 there is a limit how well you can depict these relfections. But in a close to monochromatic color pattern, like the one in Gears of War, you don´t notice the lack of these reflections as much, thus it seems more "real" to us.

But don´t expect life-like GFX on X360. It will not happen, they are close to their limit in the present games, I´d say. Maybe game devs are capable of squeezing like 5-10% better graphics (like happened with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory) when the next console gen arrives a few years from now, but don´t expect miracles.

Top graphics always look good on SCREENSHOTS but when the actual product arrives, we usually experience severe framerate issues. That happened with Splinter Cell Double Agent. It looked amazing on the screenies, but the actual gameplay was at stages too slow. Slower than Splinter Cell 3. I think AC framerate looked solid on the gameplay footage, I don´t want it to be an inch slower, smooth framerate is much more important on a game based on precise movement and an agile character.

Notice also, how the mighty Gears of War actually SLOWS DOWN notably on few parts, when there is a lot of action going on and multiple enemies.

StrikerFIN
03-06-2007, 01:42 AM
This is kinda offtopic, but I don´t understand people who criticize AC about graphics. I think they looked great, really great, better than Gears of War.

Don´t whine about how you want better graphics all the time, XBOX360 has it´s limits, and present games are close to those limits. Don´t expect any big leaps in the graphics on this console.

Gears of War looks good mainly because it´s colour pattern is quite small. I know this as a pro graphic designer. When you have an enviroment with all the objects about the same colour, it is much easier to create believable reflections of light. In true life, all objects radiate the colour they are to their enviroment, and most objects reflect. ALSO other than glass and shiny metal objects. With the power of X360 there is a limit how well you can depict these relfections. But in a close to monochromatic color pattern, like the one in Gears of War, you don´t notice the lack of these reflections as much, thus it seems more "real" to us.

But don´t expect life-like GFX on X360. It will not happen, they are close to their limit in the present games, I´d say. Maybe game devs are capable of squeezing like 5-10% better graphics (like happened with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory) when the next console gen arrives a few years from now, but don´t expect miracles.

Top graphics always look good on SCREENSHOTS but when the actual product arrives, we usually experience severe framerate issues. That happened with Splinter Cell Double Agent. It looked amazing on the screenies, but the actual gameplay was at stages too slow. Slower than Splinter Cell 3. I think AC framerate looked solid on the gameplay footage, I don´t want it to be an inch slower, smooth framerate is much more important on a game based on precise movement and an agile character.

Notice also, how the mighty Gears of War actually SLOWS DOWN notably on few parts, when there is a lot of action going on and multiple enemies.

simulacra
03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah, the bits we've seen from x06 shows a very complete art direction and I'm sure that AC wont disappoint in that department...

Oblivion_XOXO
03-07-2007, 11:11 AM
From four years in the making, they better have some high quality graphics http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Right Now I'm Playin Rainbow Six Vegas with my Bro

simulacra
03-07-2007, 01:14 PM
What would the time in development have to do with graphical quality, if you want photorealism, go outside.
seeing as platforms are becoming more and more powerful and the possible quality of graphics improvs art direction becomes more inportant.

Just look at cinema, 300 for instance, you ppl think that the movie looks like that because a camera was broken and color corrected the film by itself, no it was a decision by the director to give that movie that look, same as in AC...

Warrior-Persia
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
and thats why i got PS3. Fight Night round 3 for xbox was one of its highest graphical games ever, while on the other hand EA announced that they only uised about 20%$ of PS3s usable graphical power. ONLY 20!!!

Oblivion_XOXO
03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simulacra:
What would the time in development have to do with graphical quality, if you want photorealism, go outside.
seeing as platforms are becoming more and more powerful and the possible quality of graphics improvs art direction becomes more inportant.

Just look at cinema, 300 for instance, you ppl think that the movie looks like that because a camera was broken and color corrected the film by itself, no it was a decision by the director to give that movie that look, same as in AC... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was sayin that the AC Developement team can look at other games such as Gears of War and might say they may want to stand out from this games as well as other games. This four year timespan gives them time to improve over on certain errors or flaws that could have been avoided....Know what I'm sayin http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I'll Talk more on this Topic later...I gotta go http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

tailstriker
03-07-2007, 04:33 PM
i think people just need to remember that next gen != magic.

RetiredHatch
03-07-2007, 04:48 PM
but it does equal improvement

Oblivion_XOXO
03-07-2007, 05:00 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

tailstriker
03-07-2007, 07:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RetiredHatch:
but it does equal improvement </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the 360 IS better then the original XboX.
and the ps3 IS better then the ps2.

so.....

RetiredHatch
03-07-2007, 08:07 PM
dunno just saying