PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS]Just finished the game...

SoulSkorpion
05-16-2008, 07:29 AM
...and I must say: Ubi, why didn't *you* finish the game?

You guys never missed the opportunity to kick me in the balls.

1: You're not actually an assasin, you're a guy whose ancestor was an assasin. This means you have to navigate an artistic - but irritating - interface to even play the game and, yes, to actually EXIT it too.

2: It's not a stealth game. It's NOT A STEALTH GAME. You sold this game by lying to me. You KNOW what I'm talking about, I don't think I even need to elaborate. Thief was a stealth game. Deux Ex was a stealth game, if one chose to play it that way. Even Splinter Cell was a stealth game, as poor an exaple of the genre as it was. Assassin's Creed is NOT a stealth game - it's just another generic console platformslasher game a la God of War or its ilk.

3: Stop restricting me. It seems that you went to deliberate effort to restrict the player rather than let them do their own thing, every single time. It would have been less effort on your part to let me pick the moment to make my kill, rather than force me to wait until my quarry has finished speaking, or murdering some poor ******* or whatever.

I didn't complete a single assassination by stealth. Half of them (probably more) are impossible because the great climax before is chaos. The fact is, it doesn't make any difference. It's all too easy to just butcher the guards.

I finally got used to the above and just got on with it. I got over how repetitive and pointless the quests are, and how broken the stealth mechanism was. I started enjoying just, well, butchering guards left right and centre. Not much stealth involved, but then you didn't seem to want me to sneak around anyway.

3: You didn't finish the ****ing story.

I was expecting an "encore" where the character busts out of the complex in the real world. I was expecting some sort of closure. Not cool, guys, not cool. Set up for the sequel, obviously, but it's a sequel I'm not going to buy because you ****ed up. And you lied about this one. Yes, that's what it's called when you tell everyone you're making a stealth game where you play as an assasin and you make a generic piece of **** where you actually don't play as an assassin.

I hope you've got this "graphics above gameplay" nonsense out of your system now, and that the time and effort you spent working on the engine will not be wasted by you guys re-using it for another game. It was pretty.

That's the thing - it was an ok movie but a terrible game.

Blah.

SoulSkorpion
05-16-2008, 07:29 AM

1: You're not actually an assasin, you're a guy whose ancestor was an assasin. This means you have to navigate an artistic - but irritating - interface to even play the game and, yes, to actually EXIT it too.

2: It's not a stealth game. It's NOT A STEALTH GAME. You sold this game by lying to me. You KNOW what I'm talking about, I don't think I even need to elaborate. Thief was a stealth game. Deux Ex was a stealth game, if one chose to play it that way. Even Splinter Cell was a stealth game, as poor an exaple of the genre as it was. Assassin's Creed is NOT a stealth game - it's just another generic console platformslasher game a la God of War or its ilk.

3: Stop restricting me. It seems that you went to deliberate effort to restrict the player rather than let them do their own thing, every single time. It would have been less effort on your part to let me pick the moment to make my kill, rather than force me to wait until my quarry has finished speaking, or murdering some poor ******* or whatever.

I didn't complete a single assassination by stealth. Half of them (probably more) are impossible because the great climax before is chaos. The fact is, it doesn't make any difference. It's all too easy to just butcher the guards.

I finally got used to the above and just got on with it. I got over how repetitive and pointless the quests are, and how broken the stealth mechanism was. I started enjoying just, well, butchering guards left right and centre. Not much stealth involved, but then you didn't seem to want me to sneak around anyway.

3: You didn't finish the ****ing story.

I was expecting an "encore" where the character busts out of the complex in the real world. I was expecting some sort of closure. Not cool, guys, not cool. Set up for the sequel, obviously, but it's a sequel I'm not going to buy because you ****ed up. And you lied about this one. Yes, that's what it's called when you tell everyone you're making a stealth game where you play as an assasin and you make a generic piece of **** where you actually don't play as an assassin.

I hope you've got this "graphics above gameplay" nonsense out of your system now, and that the time and effort you spent working on the engine will not be wasted by you guys re-using it for another game. It was pretty.

That's the thing - it was an ok movie but a terrible game.

Blah.

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:01 AM
It's not finished because it's the first in a trilogy. And, take this as inflammatory if you wish, but if you don't like it then, dude, don't play it anymore

ScytheOfGrim
05-16-2008, 08:06 AM
This is what I hate... when people don't understand the ending...

Why do people hate cliffhangers when they are included in new franchises?
Yet they love them when they are included in established franchises?
Why do we have this inferior concept in our systems?

Okay, I suggest that somebody links you to computerandvideogames' dissection of the ending of the game...
Then, and only then, will I seriously look at your opinion of the ending...

Assuming that you haven't already read it, that is...

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:10 AM
He's fully welcome to his opinion of the ending. I just reserve the right to be fully entitled to my opinion that his opinion is juvenile and needlessly whiney

auntsoesa
05-16-2008, 08:16 AM
did ubi said it would be an stealth game?

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Not as such, though they did imply it would be in a similar style to Splinter Cell supposedly. It seems more to me that the stealth aspect was extrapolated by consumers whilst waiting for the game to be released and then became Gospel. As rumours are so often want to do

cooldude6681
05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Yes. Yes they did. And it is a stealth game. Well, it can be played as one, anyways, if the user desires to.

ScytheOfGrim
05-16-2008, 08:24 AM
I remember you having the link somewhere cooldude...

Mind providing it?

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
It can be played as stealth only to a certain extent. As far as I know, no matter what you do it always goes to city alert once you kill your target. I've even tried doing it with no-one else around and it still went to city alert. I didn't know the Christians had remotely monitored pacemakers that long ago

cooldude6681
05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
I haven't got one on hand, but I can find a link where a Ubi official says it is. I'm sure I can http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:29 AM
If it really is true than I can't expect it being too hard. And I'm not saying it isn't the case, just that I've not come across an official statement to that effect, mostly just scuttlebutt. But then, I deliberately avoid reading about upcoming games around them. I just want to wait for it to be released and then play it in peace

ScytheOfGrim
05-16-2008, 08:31 AM
I was talking about the computerandvideogames thingie... >_>

Ugh... don't make me use Google!
Me + Search Engine = Ten minutes of pondering out key words

... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
Maybe not that long...

cooldude6681
05-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Gorramit. I can admit when I'm wrong.

Article (http://www.xboxgazette.com/interview_assassins_creed_en.php)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The biggest difference with Splinter Cell is that Assassin's Creed is not a stealth game. We do have a feature called social stealth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's where I got confused http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Computer and Video Games article (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175552)

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Don't Google the question Moss

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Well bugger me sideways with a geriatric penguin. You mean I was actually right? wtf? That's not how it's supposed to happen

ScytheOfGrim
05-16-2008, 08:37 AM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175552

Ah! Ha! Ha!

I actually searched something right for once...
Seems like the faeries were on my side for once... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

EDIT:
Ah, man... why'd you have to edit?
Just makes mine look useless... &gt;_&gt;

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Huh? Who? I didn't edit, I double-posted

ScytheOfGrim
05-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Cooldude... not you... him... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

cooldude6681
05-16-2008, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175552

Ah! Ha! Ha!

I actually searched something right for once...
Seems like the faeries were on my side for once... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

EDIT:
Ah, man... why'd you have to edit?
Just makes mine look useless... &gt;_&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's not uncommon for me to edit my posts three or four times after I've posted them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Uhm, yeah, okay. Right. I see. By which I mean I don't.

Dude seriously., wtf did that post mean?

cooldude6681
05-16-2008, 08:57 AM
7:32 I post a post containing a quote & link to an article with Jade Raymond saying AC is not a stealth game.
7:33 I re-read the thread, and decide to add a link to the CVG article to my post.
7:33 Scythe opens the thread, reads the most recent posts, doesn't see a link to the CVG article, and decides to find one.
7:33 You (Bobert) post
7:34 You post again
7:36 I find the link, edit into my post and click "Post Now"
7:37 Scythe posts his post
7:38 Scythe sees that several posts have been made, sees that I've edited my post, and is annoyed that I beat him to the punch
7:40 You post your confusion

Or something along those lines. Make sense?

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah, all apart from the fact that it all happened eleven hours ago, and yet seemed to have been just now

cooldude6681
05-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Are you sure it happened 11 hours ago? maybe it'll happen one hour into the future http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 09:12 AM
It's now 1612

BTOG46
05-16-2008, 09:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bobfish_Almight:
It's now 1612 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Time zones Bob, time zones......
and it's an 8 hour difference, not 11.

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I knew that

whipple1111
05-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I agree with soulskorpion. this was like the poor video game adaptation of a good movie. i hope they get it right next time

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 05:37 PM
I disagree with the first part but I heartily concur with you on the second. As good as it is, it can definitely be a lot better

SoulSkorpion
05-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy the game. I did enjoy mercilessly butchering every guard that crossed my path, after I totally gave up on the stealth system (and what's with the soldiers' outright hatred of horses? It's practically impossible to go anywhere at any sort of decent speed without trailing a column of angry troops). The combat animations are great, highly entertaining.

I just don't think it's a particularly good game. The presentation is excellent, but frankly the gameplay is a massive let down. And I don't appreciate the ending. Cliffhanger or not, each story in a series should be able to stand up by itself.

Selur_Riatla
05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
I think the game as a whole is great. But there are quirks in it.
I hated the timed missions most (I hate all timed things, but especially these ones.) I'd kill the last guy, start walking/running/sprinting back to the guy, then one of the mentally unstable people shoves me into someone carrying wood or something and the guards yell "Assassin! Get him!" Then I have to restart the whole mission.
And it was repetitive. It was:
-Bereau
-Investigation
-Pickpocket
-Evesdrop/Assassination Mission
-Target
-Escape
-Lecture
-Next City
-Repeat

And yes, the guards hate horses. But the horses hate the guards. (If there's a guard standing behind your horse and he's trying to attack you, the horse will kick him. I found this amusiing.)
But the graphics were wonderful, the game wouldn't be the same without them.
And the story line is awesome, which is why I like the game so much. I base my rating on the story line.

And going back to the very original post...
From what I heard, Des is an ex-assassin now a bar tender. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like.
And one of the great things about the game, is that stealth is an option (mostly, I'll admit, it could be 'stealthier.') Some people just can't play Splinter Cell because they hit the wrong button or something and fall and have to restart a mission or whatever (like my friend.)
But like I said, I would much prefer to just sneak up to my assassination target, stab him in the back with the hidden blade, then simply walk off and climb up to the rooftops and run elsewhere, without having to deal with the guards and the screaming and the running n' ****. (Like in the missions you have to do for the other assassins, the timed ones? They have to be conducted with the hidden blade or the throwing knives.)
As for cliffhangers...
I don't like them.
But I also like them.
It depends. I only like them if the sequel is as good/better than the game before it. If not then it's just not worth it. I also don't like it if it's the end of the series and, o-my-god, it just drops off (coughcough-halo-coughcough.)
When A.C. ended I was like "...WHAT?! NO! *one minute later* I can't wait for the next one to come out!"
(I can see it now, me and my brother both locked in our rooms...killing guards and wanna-be dictators this way and that, only coming out from the darkness for food. Yeah, that's life.)
But yeaaah...I like the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And I'm the only one out of my friends who've played it to complete it, so they're all buggered about the game.

Bobfish_Almight
05-21-2008, 11:31 PM
I was kicked in the butt by a horse when I was counter killing a guard once. And another time in the head. It's funny

rebel7254
05-22-2008, 08:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SoulSkorpion:

1: You're not actually an assasin, you're a guy whose ancestor was an assasin. This means you have to navigate an artistic - but irritating - interface to even play the game and, yes, to actually EXIT it too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What difference does it make that your character is "actually" an assassin? Who cares? This isn't a flaw in the game, but rather a problem you have with the premise and storyline. For all practical purposes, you are an assassin in the game, playing as Altair 98% of the time. Nobody "lied" to you about this, you just had different expectations and made false assumptions based on what you had seen. I don't think Ubi wanted to reveal too much about the story of the game before release....whether you agree with this approach or not, it was apparently their goal to keep the true story under wraps until release.

As far as exiting the game (assuming you have the PC version since you are just now playing the game), just press ALT+F4 after you Exit the memory and you're inside the animus. You don't lose anything, and you are instantly back to your desktop.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a slasher. That's just exagerrating way too much. I will agree that, based on the marketing of the game, I expected stealth to play a larger role. However, I'm not a huge fan of stealth games, so this didn't bother me.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe after you've finished the game you should be allowed to assassinate whenever you want, but there would be an uproar if they allowed it the first time through, because a whole bunch of people would miss parts of the story as a result of their impatience, and they would whine about it later on.

In ANY game, once you have finished it, you should be able to skip or fast forward through cutscenes. Likewise, if there is some kind of cutscene preceeding a boss battle or difficult level that players will possibly have to retry multiple times to beat, then you should be able to skip or fast forward through it. This should be a standard, but unfortunately it isn't.

I think AC has a good balance between action, platforming, and stealth. The only thing that was missing entirely was puzzles, although one could argue that some of the informer challenges had a sort of puzzle element to them. I guess incorporating puzzles into the game would make it seem too much like a direct Prince of Persia ripoff. There are already enough similarities to Ubi's PoP games as it is (which I happen to enjoy, as I'm a major PoP fan).

Bobfish_Almight
05-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Rebel : Whoa, dude, you just completely negated the need for anything I had to say. And so eloquently put too.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif wholeheartedly

simonwoods1
05-24-2008, 03:45 AM
Whats wrong with splinter cell!?!?!

Assassins3reed
05-24-2008, 05:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by whipple1111:
I agree with soulskorpion. this was like the poor video game <span class="ev_code_RED">adaptation of a good movie</span> . i hope they get it right next time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which movie? Am I missing something??

spazzoo1025
05-25-2008, 09:27 PM
no , it was just a simile