PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson discusses the Dambusters remake

Lord_Rhah
09-15-2006, 05:24 AM
Thought a few people here might be interested in this:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30076

And yes, he does talk about what they are going to do regarding the name of Gibson's dog...

Lord_Rhah
09-15-2006, 05:24 AM
Thought a few people here might be interested in this:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30076

And yes, he does talk about what they are going to do regarding the name of Gibson's dog...

ploughman
09-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Nice read, you can hear his enthusiasm. I like the bit where he talks about his man "quietly building a Lancaster bomber." As you do.

Should be a good human story and I dare say the raid itself will be breath taking.

BBB_Hyperion
09-15-2006, 05:59 AM
How much effort for some hours of power shortage http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Grue_
09-15-2006, 06:12 AM
"We want to ground the film in 1943. We want to ground the film in what was happening in England at that time. What were the pressures, what was happening, what the Nazis were doing in 1943, why they had to be stopped, why the war had to end somehow. The world of 1943 is very much where this film is going to be set, not the political world of 2006. That is the job of documentary filmmakers, not feature filmmakers." http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The problem I always find with CG aeroplanes is that they don't 'fly' properly (King Kong for example). It would be great if they could merge flight sim physics with CG graphics to produce an authentic looking aeroplane.

WOLFMondo
09-15-2006, 06:39 AM
Great news! Finally a war film too look forward too!

AWL_Spinner
09-15-2006, 06:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The real Guy Gibson was 25. He was commanding this attack at the age of 25 and commanding 20 year old pilots. I find that remarkable. I just think back to what I was like when I was 20 and I couldn't imagine myself doing what they were doing.

There are not many stars who are 20 years old, they just don't really exist, so I would imagine we'll be looking for unknown young actors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant. It'd be far, far better with youthful unknowns to illustrate that generation of bomber command crews than "names". Two big thumbs up for that one and I agree with Jackson - I can't imagine myself or my peers at 20-25 doing what these young men did, shouldering such responsibility. Of course, that's a reflection on the entire wartime generation.

And this is also interesting:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So, they always had the feeling that if a plane was lost, the bomb would explode, but there was actually a plane that did crash and the bomb survived intact. The Germans dismantled it, they drew it, they measured it, they did blueprints of it, which are accessible today. So, the best information about the bomb and how it was used is actually the German's drawings, which is kind of ironic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(as the British ones were destroyed for reasons of security)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The world of 1943 is very much where this film is going to be set, not the political world of 2006. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As above, amen to that. Well done sir, I look forward very much to further development of this movie.

As to the post above about CG aircraft, I agree totally. I've not seen one really convincing CG air sequence yet, most of them are ruddy awful. Yes the aircraft themselves can look quite good but invariably the physics come a shoddy second to the graphics. Jackson seems to acknowledge that his CGI'll be a cinematic first in this regard and, as he's a warbird afficionado himself, lets keep fingers crossed eh?

leitmotiv
09-15-2006, 08:19 AM
I have no doubt he and his director will do a fantastic job, and am glad we do not have to worry about Affleck, Hanks, Crowe or any of the usual suspects playing Guy Gibson.

stanford-ukded
09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
This puts it in the same league as Dark Blue World - all unknowns, but a great film.

I think his comments on grounding it in 1943 are the clearest hint yet the politically correct crowd won't get their way. Connected to this, if anyone here watches Deadwood (fantastic series, btw) the word "******" is used frequently - and aired on mainstream television.

stanford-ukded
09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Ah it starred out my politically incorrect statement http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
09-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Agree, stanford-ukded, looks to me like Jackson knows his turf and intends to do it right---besides, he has so much industry clout after RINGS he can afford to ruffle feathers. However, if Oprah embarks on a personal crusade, they'll be renaming the dog Old Yeller.

Aaron_GT
09-15-2006, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Brilliant. It'd be far, far better with youthful unknowns to illustrate that generation of bomber command crews than "names". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might be a good way for those young actors to get a good contact, in the form of Jackson, for their careers too.

If they need an unknown actor to play Wallis I'm available and I am sure I could do the job http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p1ngu666
09-15-2006, 11:48 AM
sounds good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. remmber the scenes in LOTR series where pretty damn good. does anyone know if theres a museum for the props for lotr? that would be a really good museum http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

the age thing,.. thats partly true, but ive seen a soldier with 10years of fighting experience. he was 17...

AWL_Spinner
09-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Posted on the PPRuNe forums, just had to share http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
The Dam Busters Raid in a 'PC' world
====================================

Guy Gibson "Hello Chiefy, all ready for tonight's op then?"

"Chiefy" Powell "Almost ready, sir €" just one or two small issues to sort out."

Guy Gibson "Issues? Whatd'yer mean, issues?"

"Chiefy" Powell "Well the engines need sorting sir, they've all been playing up"

Guy Gibson "Playing up!? €" The Merlin is the single most reliable engine of the war, for Chrisake!"

"Chiefy" Powell "Well, they've been running rough and having "deferred success" after about an hour with the new fuel, you see €" and, ahem, could you not refer to a deity like that, sir? The squadron's Ecumenical Council is very concerned that we don't offend those with a differing religious bias €" The Multi-Faith Chaplains were most particular on that point"

Guy Gibson "Deferred success?"

"Chiefy" Powell "Precisely sir! Station Commander's Standing Orders €" engines and pilots don€t "fail" any more €" the word promotes low self-worth negative feelings sir"

Guy Gibson "Well, what€s all this about 'new fuel'???"

"Chiefy" Powell "Unleaded sir. A petrol engine meeting the Euro IV emission standards and using petrol meeting the Euro IV specification will emit 46% less nitrogen oxides, 50% less hydrocarbons and 56% less carbon monoxide. 100 octane €" sorry, RON100 - is out."

Guy Gibson "Hmmph €" well is 'G for George' bombed up yet?"

"Chiefy" Powell "Er, no sir. The Health and Safety Executive discovered that the bomb, er sorry, the IED, was filled with RDX High Explosive and the chemical toilet on the same aircraft had caustic soda in it"

Guy Gibson "So?!!"

"Chiefy" Powell "ICAO Dangerous Goods regulations, sir €" can€t carry the two together" ... and it's 'G' for 'Gay' now sir"

Guy Gibson "Jesu .. I mean Golly, no, Gosh! €" well has the route been finalised?"

"Chiefy" Powell "Nearly done sir! Apart from re-routing away from the island of Borkum."

Guy Gibson "What!"

"Chiefy" Powell "RSPB have been on sir, it seems there's a breeding colony of Storm Petrels on it and it's more than our job's worth to go near it, quite apart from the GreenPeace trawler monitoring any deviation €" Oh, and Leutnant Otto Brayk of Jagdeschwader 52 has sent an email to say he and his boys are looking forward to meeting you over Gilze-Rijen Airfield"

Guy Gibson "My God .. I mean Gracious! Has some bast.... er, who's opened their mouth and talked?"

"Chiefy" Powell "No-one, sir €" it's in the flight-plan. I filed it this morning. You do know that to fly VFR over the Netherlands at night the Dutch Ministerie van Verkeer en Waterstaat require a plan €" you should have done it last week but I phoned and they said it'll be OK this once. And not below 2000 feet in the Amsterdam FIR please sir. The Green party are very big there now."

Guy Gibson "Well, we'll see about that €" is my kit ready? My Mae West?"

"Chiefy" Powell "Water Flotation Device if you please, sir €" Bomber Command's Harassment co-coordinator has renamed it €" Mae West has too many sexual connotations.

Guy Gibson "Well where are my flying gloves... and my helmet?"

"Chiefy" Powell "They were kid-leather sir!! €" 5 Group€s Animal-Rights Officer nearly had a fit! And no helmets any more I€m afraid €" can€t get a Turban under them."

Guy Gibson "This is just too much! You'll be saying that I can€t get to the dams next!"

"Chiefy" Powell "Funny you should mention that Sir, Brussels Flow Control says that there is likely to be holding at the MOHNE waypoint €" and there is the issue of sufficient fuel. You can't enter the Dusseldorf FIR with less than 20mins extra, and that makes the Lanc. really tight on gas."

Guy Gibson "Look here, Chiefy, if I don€t get back I€d like you to have my next egg €" and bury my poor dog outside my office at midnight would you?"

"Chiefy" Powell "Eggs are a "non-featured item" of the menu at this time sir €" the Group Healthy-Living Food-Diversity Task-Force have been concerned that as the Food Standards Agency's "Guidance on the Egg Products Regulations 1993" is currently being revised, that we as a forward-thinking, pro-active unit should show the way to the rest of the Service. And er, sir....

Guy Gibson WHAT??!!

"Chiefy" Powell "The squadron Ethnicity Monitoring Team would like you to re-name your dog."
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flying_Nutcase
09-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Awesome Spinner! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

FltLt_HardBall
09-15-2006, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:
sounds good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. remmber the scenes in LOTR series where pretty damn good. does anyone know if theres a museum for the props for lotr? that would be a really good museum http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at the National Museum in Wellington, New Zealand last month and they had one of the models of the corsair ships from Return of the King in the main lobby. Those are the ones that Aragon and his buddies overrun. The model was about 15 feet long.

Xiolablu3
09-16-2006, 06:36 AM
I dont see why they have to call the dog anything.

he could just shout 'Here boy', and then be told 'Im sorry sir your dog was run over'.

Its not like the dog is such a massive part of the story anyway.

But then again, if someone made a film with a Black man and a dog called 'Honky', I would think it was funny, not offensive.

I guess Bearcat and Stiglr can give more input on this, than any of us...Would you think it was best to use the original name or just forget it. Are people being oversensitive?? AFter all, people will realise its a long time ago and views were different then, which have changed for the better. Its a tough one.

Xiolablu3
09-16-2006, 06:38 AM
'We want to ground the film in 1943. We want to ground the film in what was happening in England at that time. What were the pressures, what was happening, what the Nazis were doing in 1943, why they had to be stopped, why the war had to end somehow. The world of 1943 is very much where this film is going to be set, not the political world of 2006. That is the job of documentary filmmakers, not feature filmmakers.'

'You know, not just the name of the dog, but there is controversy in the whole bombing campaign. There's a lot of antagonism now, especially in the UK and Canada, as well, towards what (the British) did in the war. You know, the fire-bombings of the German's houses, which is absolutely horrific, but I just think it's important... I think there's a job documentary filmmakers should do and anybody is welcome to do a documentary about the Dambusters or the bombing campaign from the perspective of 2006, but we don't really feel it's our job, and I know that Christian feels pretty strongly about this, that we're not wanting to make a movie that tells the story of the Dambusters from the 2006 political perspective. '

Sounds like he's got it perfect.

Great man for the job, well done Jackson!

leitmotiv
09-16-2006, 06:59 AM
That piece is a classic, Spinner.

BigKahuna_GS
09-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Peter Jackson has to be the premier film maker now and it is encouraging that someone of his caliber is re-telling this story and is not letting political correctness get in the way. There is something about the younger generations forgetting about the sacrifices that previous generations have made for their security and freedom.

A good case n point would be the younger generations of Koreans thinking that they can just make peace with their lunatic dictator neighbor to the North and all will be well again. The war that tore their country in two and a bitter struggle for survival by South Koreans before them does not register on their radar.

I am anticipating a terrific film. Can't wait to see it.

http://www.flightglobal.com/ImageArchive/PhotoArchive/1939-1945/previews/fa_18489s.jpg

http://www.flightglobal.com/ImageArchive/PhotoArchive/1939-1945/previews/fa_18490s.jpg

http://www.flightglobal.com/ImageArchive/PhotoArchive/1939-1945/previews/fa_18292s.jpg

smokincrater
09-16-2006, 03:15 PM
We have already come up with a solution for the dog. Check out a search of a simular thread.

Warrington_Wolf
09-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Upon reading this article I am looking forward to Peter Jackon's new film. He seems to be quite knowledgeble on the subject and his enthusiasm and his respect for the people involved in the Dambuster raids is obvious.
Lord Of The Rings was great and I reckon this will be too, it will also bring the story of the Dambuster raid to a whole new generation of people which can only be a good thing.

P.S. I hope they keep the original soundtrack.