PDA

View Full Version : Backseat (SBD) driver

codeseven7
01-01-2006, 01:37 PM
In PF, is it possible to be in the gunners seat in an SBD and have the AI pilot land on a carrier?

codeseven7
01-01-2006, 01:37 PM
In PF, is it possible to be in the gunners seat in an SBD and have the AI pilot land on a carrier?

VT-51_Razor
01-01-2006, 01:49 PM
yes - in a coop or single player mission, where the plane has the proper waypoints established. The AI will even bomb a target for you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WWSensei
01-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Razor is partially right. IF you start in a coop as the gunner the AI will fly the aircraft, but you can never switch to the pilot position. If you start as a pilot and switch to gunner the AI will NOT take over the pilot seat.

Offline it can do exactly what you are asking.

codeseven7
01-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Cool. So, offline, set the waypoints, start off as and stay the gunner throughout and the AI pilot will actually land the SBD on a carrier! I gotta see this!!

PBNA-Boosher
01-01-2006, 07:49 PM
that SBD gunner's pretty deadly to Zekes and Liquid cooled engines!

mortoma
01-01-2006, 10:25 PM
You could do it in a Dgen campaign too. You could be the gunner every mission if you wanted to. I doubt you'd last long. God help you if you are an SBD gunner attacked by NIK1 Georges!! The gun will not even scratch a George. A lucky pilot kill is the best you can hope/pray for.

TC_Stele
01-02-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm curious to know if there were any famous tail gunners from any country during WW2? I know that in game they can be pretty deadly even when doing some high G turns. But how would they fair in real life with the elements we don't experience in game?

stansdds
01-02-2006, 12:44 PM
From what I understand, everyone in a real aircraft lives about 1 second behind the pilot. Only the pilot knows when a change of course is going to occur during combat, so everyone else gets tossed around. I would think this would make the life of a gunner rather difficult. Large bombers flying in formation might be a different story since the pilot is doing his best to maintain formation and is not taking evasive action.

neural_dream
01-02-2006, 05:10 PM
In my next DiD (dead is dead and delete if you die) campaign I'll be the nose gunner of a He111. I suck flying it anyway. Let's see how long I'll last http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif.

icrash
01-02-2006, 05:15 PM
TC_Stele,
I've seen a picture of a bomber, B-25 I think, where the gunner positions had kill markers. One of the gunners was an ace with 5. Darned if I remember can remember his name. I have my best luck @ dorsal gunner on a B-25 w/ 3 kills and its a toss up between pilot & rear gunner with 2 apiece. I don't seem to have much luck on other planes, especially the two seaters.

Kuna15
01-02-2006, 06:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TC_Stele:
I'm curious to know if there were any famous tail gunners from any country during WW2? I know that in game they can be pretty deadly even when doing some high G turns. But how would they fair in real life with the elements we don't experience in game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were many gunners with considerable successes; I have just read a book about IL-2 attack aircraft and there is a few stories about some IL-2 rear gunners shooting down German fighters and even one Japanese fighter etc..
There were many others.
Unfortunately their exploits are so publicized so they are quite hard to find... anyway they had successes in shooting down the charging fighters. They weren't as deadly as those in our game but for sure they gave a nasty surprise now and then to enemy fighters.

Kuna15
01-02-2006, 06:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by icrash:
TC_Stele,
I've seen a picture of a bomber, B-25 I think, where the gunner positions had kill markers. One of the gunners was an ace with 5. Darned if I remember can remember his name. I have my best luck @ dorsal gunner on a B-25 w/ 3 kills and its a toss up between pilot & rear gunner with 2 apiece. I don't seem to have much luck on other planes, especially the two seaters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that you would have much much more success against fighters if Ai can dodge/evade better. Ai pilot usually make a gentle turn if at all, so attacking fighter don't have so hard work to do.
In my SBD campaign I use to man both positions (set autopilot automation off and turned off rear gunner auto pilot). My fav move was some kind of split S if enemy fighter follows me and on half way I would jump into gunner position and put as much lead I could in attacking fighter than jump to pilot seat. And repeat process. It worked great. Untill N1K's and J2M's showed up, they are much stronger planes (DM) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif.

icrash
01-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Kuna, it seems that just about the time I get lined up & start tossing lead, the pilot tries something and ruins my shot. On the pilot side, he can't shoot back so all he can do is run while taking evasive action; can't really blame him there.