PDA

View Full Version : So much hype about install problems, what about 56k users?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Well, what about us? Ubi shutting us out as well? Oh no, lets not worry about sales, no, lets continue with this ignorant plan of release which will leave others not available to purchase due to no install or corrupt download files due to over taxing their bandwidth and others on 56k that CAN'T download this due to size. None of this overnight **** works for most 56k users.

Oh, I'm sorry to all those DSL/cable users, I guess we are just to low on the development stage of internet to be able to have access to such speeds.

Leave it to Ubi to screw up one more good thing.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Well, what about us? Ubi shutting us out as well? Oh no, lets not worry about sales, no, lets continue with this ignorant plan of release which will leave others not available to purchase due to no install or corrupt download files due to over taxing their bandwidth and others on 56k that CAN'T download this due to size. None of this overnight **** works for most 56k users.

Oh, I'm sorry to all those DSL/cable users, I guess we are just to low on the development stage of internet to be able to have access to such speeds.

Leave it to Ubi to screw up one more good thing.

Stackhouse25th
04-28-2006, 06:55 PM
like I said, theyre dividing the community

FluffyDucks
04-28-2006, 06:57 PM
You are stuffed...thank you ...have a nice day. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

steve_v
04-28-2006, 07:02 PM
While I feel your frustration as a former dial-up subscriber, I am glad Ubi is making the release available. By your reasoning, none of us should ever have anything until some form of universal utopian is established in our world. Never gonna happen. Time to face the music and make lemonade.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/Lemonade.jpg

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Reasoning? Well then just make everything available VIA download and no one shall ever have to make their trip to the game store or online store to purchase their game, that should make sure only DSL/Cable users play online or acquire games/sims and keep all the 56k users away. Hows that for universal utopian?

Ubi trying to save pocket change from the lawsuit by keeping from using CDs and paying for distribution? If they are that worried about sales not meeting, why not just make the addon a CD and kept only at the Ubi store and no other retailers?

I am facing the music, and if the musician was here I wouldn't hesitate to take a few hits to their knees with my baseball bat.

FritzGryphon
04-28-2006, 07:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">that should make sure only DSL/Cable users play online or acquire games/sims and keep all the 56k users away. Hows that for universal utopian? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's... so beautiful *sniff*

But that would be mean. At least have a single player version of the game available by mail order, that costs twice as much and comes wrapped in a napkin bound with duct tape. The manual is on the back of the stamp.

steve_v
04-28-2006, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by _VR_ScorpionWorm:
I am facing the music, and if the musician was here I wouldn't hesitate to take a few hits to their knees with my baseball bat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Really? Sounds more like a pity party.

lbhskier37
04-28-2006, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by _VR_ScorpionWorm:
Reasoning? Well then just make everything available VIA download and no one shall ever have to make their trip to the game store or online store to purchase their game, that should make sure only DSL/Cable users play online or acquire games/sims and keep all the 56k users away. Hows that for universal utopian?

Ubi trying to save pocket change from the lawsuit by keeping from using CDs and paying for distribution? If they are that worried about sales not meeting, why not just make the addon a CD and kept only at the Ubi store and no other retailers?

I am facing the music, and if the musician was here I wouldn't hesitate to take a few hits to their knees with my baseball bat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do understand they don't make CDs one at a time whenever someone requests one dont you? CDs don't cost anything, but production tooling does. Do you have any idea how much it costs to make an injection mold die to press CDs out? If they don't make hundreds of thousands of copies, they don't pay for the die. How about making boxes? They have to photoetch plates for the printing press, that aint free you know. All of that stuff costs a company money up front, and if they don't think they can sell enough to pay for it, why would they do it? This was a choice between a paid DL or nothing, I think we got the good deal. If you don't want to DL it then to he11 with you. If you want it but say you can't because you have 56k or no credit card, you don't want it enough to try, because I don't believe there is anyone on here that couldnt get 20 minutes of access to broadband either from work, friend, library, or internet cafe. All this crying wolf about splitting the community happens everytime a new addon comes out. I for one wish it would split the community with all the people that constantly whine about such stupid things leaving.

panzerd18
04-28-2006, 08:38 PM
I would try and go somewhere that has a fast connection and download it.

HOWZAT_99
04-28-2006, 08:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You do understand they don't make CDs one at a time whenever someone requests one dont you? CDs don't cost anything, but production tooling does. Do you have any idea how much it costs to make an injection mold die to press CDs out? If they don't make hundreds of thousands of copies, they don't pay for the die. How about making boxes? They have to photoetch plates for the printing press, that aint free you know. All of that stuff costs a company money up front, and if they don't think they can sell enough to pay for it, why would they do it? This was a choice between a paid DL or nothing, I think we got the good deal. If you don't want to DL it then to he11 with you. If you want it but say you can't because you have 56k or no credit card, you don't want it enough to try, because I don't believe there is anyone on here that couldnt get 20 minutes of access to broadband either from work, friend, library, or internet cafe. All this crying wolf about splitting the community happens everytime a new addon comes out. I for one wish it would split the community with all the people that constantly whine about such stupid things leaving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please explain to me why they brought out the Complete Edition, when pretty much everyone already had the game (Except me, Complete Edition made me very happy)

I feel for you scorpian worm, I have only recently come off dial up. I remember getting cut off in the middle of downloads... People needing to use the phone... Try to remember IBHskier37 what it was like when you had 56k. You can say go to a friend to get them to download it for you... but why should we use up their broadband?

The only reason I'm not getting this is I don't like the sound of pay to download, and there have been so many problems, and I feel that I don't have the computer expertise that may be required to get this thing running.

Try to remember that some of this is beyond our means to get.

Somebody said that they may be bringing out a DVD with all 3 addons on it. I hope this is true.

-HH- Beebop
04-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Being an ex-56K'er I can empathize with Scorpion.
However, the file comes bundled with a (harmless) download manager that you can completely uninstall after use and allows you to continue where you left off if disconnected. I agree though that this method of getting content favors the highspeed connection.

I remember it taking all night to d/l the IL-2 demo and that was only 90Mb IIRC.

There are/were places that (in the past at least) would give you mulitple demos on CD for the cost of the CD + S&H. Ubi could/should authorize such a company for our 56K brethern. It not necessary to tool up a die for a CD in that scenario.

Personally I'm not fond of the current method used to get this add-on, but one must go with the times if one wants the content. It does no good to wail and moan as it will change nothing.

The suggestion of finding someone with a faster connection and d/l'ing from there sounds good to me. Just make sure you have a way for you to take it with you...and don't lose you "Unlock" code!

ImpStarDuece
04-28-2006, 09:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOWZAT_99:

Please explain to me why they brought out the Complete Edition, when pretty much everyone already had the game (Except me, Complete Edition made me very happy)

I feel for you scorpian worm, I have only recently come off dial up. I remember getting cut off in the middle of downloads... People needing to use the phone... Try to remember IBHskier37 what it was like when you had 56k. You can say go to a friend to get them to download it for you... but why should we use up their broadband?

The only reason I'm not getting this is I don't like the sound of pay to download, and there have been so many problems, and I feel that I don't have the computer expertise that may be required to get this thing running.

Try to remember that some of this is beyond our means to get.

Somebody said that they may be bringing out a DVD with all 3 addons on it. I hope this is true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The complete edition was brought out in an attempt to bring new blood into the simulation, by putting all 3 of the current main titles (IL-2:FB, AEP and PF) on the one disc for an easy, simple install. It was a little difficult and confusing for new users who bought PF or Il-2L:FB to update or merge their games when they didn't understand the long chain of product history and add-ons. As well as this, it had the sie benefit of making things easier for existing members, should they want to have a single disc back up of their existing purchase.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-28-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm not complaining about splitting the community, that is the least of my worries, as long as I fly with my squadmates I can care less about what version airquake servers are running.

My complaints is about distribution, and no, Ubi doesn't need to make a box with a manual, a simple jewel case with CD inside is all that is needed, its not a full game.

"I would try and go somewhere that has a fast connection and download it."

You people make it sound likes it so easy. I guess I should just pack up my midtower PC and take it to some random place asking if I can somehow connect to their network.

ibhskier37, I have a credit card, its being on 56K with a download speed of only 5.2kbps max that stops me, its over 100mb file. And its Ubi, I doubt they have a hard time distributing CD for purchase. Move along with your whining about splitting the community, thats not what my purpose of the topic was.

The download managers are good(use them all the time), even so maybe the one that comes with it, but look at that speed again, 5.2kbps, you think I'm honestly going to pay the Ubi morons my cash, wait over a WEEk to download this file just to have it come out corrupt and start all over again? I don't think so. I don't download any files that are over 40Mbs.

clipper2
04-29-2006, 02:20 AM
Hey _VR_ScorpianWorm, I agree with you man. I'm a 56k user too.

Freelancer-1
04-29-2006, 03:04 AM
According to this article:

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=15780&sector=M...&subsector=FastStats (http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=15780&sector=Metrics&subsector=FastStats)

There are still 36.9 million users on dialup in the U.S. alone. If they all feel the way ScorpionWorm does about large D/Ls, I see the potential for a huge loss of revenue by companies offering product by D/L only.

Just a little tidbit to fan the flames http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

csThor
04-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Scorpionworm - I haven't heard that you had to connect the PC you want to install the game on to the Internet at all. After downloading the file on some PC with a broadband connection you can burn it on a CD or copy it on a suitable USB stick and install it on the PC you use for playing. I haven't heard any stories about that being impossible. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-29-2006, 10:06 AM
That would be a viable option if one, I had a USB stick(not hard to get in any case), and most importantly, a PC that I can have access to that is capable of DSL/cable. The nearest DSL location is 30 miles away, I work in that city however the libraries there do not allow downloading of any sort and there are no internet cafes.