PDA

View Full Version : How did Altair lose his ring finger on his left hand?

Flowulf
12-31-2007, 06:38 PM
How did Altair lose his ring finger on his right hand? Is it something that the assasins lose to weild the blade, or was it an accident in which he severed his finger?

Flowulf
12-31-2007, 06:38 PM
How did Altair lose his ring finger on his right hand? Is it something that the assasins lose to weild the blade, or was it an accident in which he severed his finger?

DreamerM
12-31-2007, 06:57 PM
It was a "pretty traumatic" initiation ritual on the day he became a Master Assassin.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-31-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't think it's ever specifically stated. It could have been an accident or it could have been a punishment. In Africa fingers were sometimes cut off as a punishment for adultery or theft. Sometimes fingers would be taken as a proof of victory in battle, so perhaps he was left for dead on a battlefield then recovered. One thing is fairly certain - it was not a ritual amputation by the Assassins - El Mualim has all his fingers and so do the other Assassins. Plus it would be a bit of a give-away if the authorities could foil a Master Assassin by simply counting how many fingers each suspect had.

DreamerM
12-31-2007, 08:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beeryus:
I don't think it's ever specifically stated. It could have been an accident or it could have been a punishment. In Africa fingers were sometimes cut off as a punishment for adultery or theft. Sometimes fingers would be taken as a proof of victory in battle, so perhaps he was left for dead on a battlefield then recovered. One thing is fairly certain - it was not a ritual amputation by the Assassins - El Mualim has all his fingers and so do the other Assassins. Plus it would be a bit of a give-away if the authorities could foil a Master Assassin by simply counting how many fingers each suspect had. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al Mualim is not, himself, an Assassin as such. As in, he's not actually going on missions and using the Hidden Blade.

And we don't SEE any other Assassins of Altair's original rank, in fact it's implied that since the crippling of Malik (who'se original rank was beneath Altair anyway), Altair is the last Grand Master assassin in the clan. It could be a ritual reserved for Grand Masters, and thus, Altair is the only one around missing a finger.

And in Japan, Yakuza chop off fingers in dishonor. I doubt that's what it is.

Galax907
12-31-2007, 10:05 PM
If you reed the interview in x-box 360 magazine with one of the writers it says what everything means, and that he did get it cut off when joining the assassins and thats what lucy shows him at the end, is that she is missing the finger too.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-31-2007, 11:36 PM
I realise that, but I discard it because it's clearly the most dunderheaded idea ever to be claimed as canon in any game. It makes absolutely no sense, and the rest of the game is written so well. It's like they picked Shakespeare to write the script and brought in a village idiot to figure out how he lost his finger.

Oh, and by the way, Lucy isn't missing a finger. She is shown numerous times with ten fully formed fingers. She just makes a sign to the guy at one point where she bends her ring finger to indicate the loss of a finger to show that she's an assassin like Altair. It doesn't mean that every Master Assassin has to lose a finger.

DreamerM
01-01-2008, 02:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beeryus:
It doesn't mean that every Master Assassin has to lose a finger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We don't SEE any other Grand Master assassins. Just Altair, and it's heavily implied he's the only Grand Master the clan has. For all we know, ALL other Grand Masters have to undergo the ritual.

Haxixexaxin
01-03-2008, 04:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DreamerM:
It doesn't mean that every Master Assassin has to lose a finger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We don't SEE any other Grand Master assassins. Just Altair, and it's heavily implied he's the only Grand Master the clan has. For all we know, ALL other Grand Masters have to undergo the ritual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe he was the only Grand Master, and the only one allowed to use a hidden blade. Since the blade comes really close to your fingers, its better to have a little place to put it.

dragonslayer316
01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
i believe he has no ring finger because if you look closely where that finger would be in the exact spot that the hidden blade comes out. either it was cut off so the blade could easily come out or it was cut off accidentelly when getting the hidden blade out. i dont know if this makes sense to you but it does to me and it seems the most logic answer.

Pr0metheus 1962
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
LOL yeah. Maybe he invented it and the first time he used it it chopped his finger off. Ouch!

minibinladin
01-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I first heard about this game about a week after miss raymond introduced it to the world.

i have been looking for videos fairly often since that day.

i saw one on Gamer tv where jade raymond said "some of you have been noticing ,from the pictures and videos, that altair is missing a finger from his left hand. This is because of an initiation he went through when he became an assassin."

Not the exact words but its the jist

i'll look around to see if i can find this vid

Sniperslayr
01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
yeah, i agree with minibinladin. I read somewhere that it was removed in a special ceremony as part of his original initiation. I think every initiated assassin has it, just ubisoft could be bothered to remove the finger of every single assassin model. and yes it was removed so the hidden blade could come out more easily, makes sense really

gardskarsten
01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
hmm i am not sure but i think i heard in a movie some time ago that.

"he lost his finger on his first mission where he was suposed to kill som kind of king"

anyone else that has heard someting like that?

Sniperslayr
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
nah man, look at the way the hidden blade goes through the space where his ring finger should be.

grdnangl172
01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
It is a ritual for when a novice is cleared to go out on their first assignment. Makes killing easier with the hidden blade. It was also like a badge of honor among the assassins. Hey was I the only one that checked out all those making of videos???

Pr0metheus 1962
01-04-2008, 04:32 PM
So when important people hold meetings why don't they just get the guards to check for anyone missing a ring finger?

It seems pretty darned stupid to me to make every top-level assassin so easy to spot that you can tell from 20 yards away that he's an assassin. It seems to me that that would make the job that much harder leading to a greater failure rate. These assassins - they do actually WANT to kill their targets, right? Or have I missed the point somewhere?

In-The-Shadows
01-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I think it's sensible about the initiation and easier for the blade... but when he assassinates someone his fingers are spread and his palm is against the targets body. So I suppose in theory that his finger isn't in the way when he kills. Unless when he does it from behind he just "punches" the victim. I'll have to check this out for myself.

DreamerM
01-05-2008, 01:09 AM
So when important people hold meetings why don't they just get the guards to check for anyone missing a ring finger? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they don't know to. We don't really KNOW anything about the Assassins, and what we do know is legend and myth. There's no reason to think they'd know what the missing finger means, especially if the amputation ritual, reserved for Masters, was a secret they kept even closer then usual.

moqqy
01-05-2008, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DreamerM:
So when important people hold meetings why don't they just get the guards to check for anyone missing a ring finger? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they don't know to. We don't really KNOW anything about the Assassins, and what we do know is legend and myth. There's no reason to think they'd know what the missing finger means, especially if the amputation ritual, reserved for Masters, was a secret they kept even closer then usual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, Beeryus: Yes, indeed, it is very stupid. But it is only a game. It is taking away from the realism, though.

DreamerM: Assassins get killed in their missions. In the matter of fact the real assassins were expected to get killed. Don't you think they'd recognize the pattern after a few dead assassins who don't have the ring finger?

DreamerM
01-06-2008, 01:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moqqy:

DreamerM: Assassins get killed in their missions. In the matter of fact the real assassins were expected to get killed. Don't you think they'd recognize the pattern after a few dead assassins who don't have the ring finger? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There weren't that many Assassins to begin with, let alone Masters. I can only assume that the rare times when they killed a Grand Master were far enough between for them not to catch on.

Grand Masters themselves were probably far between. Altair's the only one in the clan during the time the game takes place. They might not have popped up frequently enough to make a coherent pattern.

dragonslayer316
01-06-2008, 06:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DreamerM:

quote:
Originally posted by Beeryus:
So when important people hold meetings why don't they just get the guards to check for anyone missing a ring finger?

quote:
Because they don't know to. We don't really KNOW anything about the Assassins, and what we do know is legend and myth. There's no reason to think they'd know what the missing finger means, especially if the amputation ritual, reserved for Masters, was a secret they kept even closer then usual. First, Beeryus: Yes, indeed, it is very stupid. But it is only a game. It is taking away from the realism, though.

quote:
DreamerM: Assassins get killed in their missions. In the matter of fact the real assassins were expected to get killed. Don't you think they'd recognize the pattern after a few dead assassins who don't have the ring finger?

well thats not right because everyone that as seen the assassin has been killed in his path. am i right ?

From Ginga316: its a game maybe there is no reason. apart from to use the hidden blade.

moqqy
01-06-2008, 07:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dragonslayer316:
quote:
Originally posted by DreamerM:

quote:
Originally posted by Beeryus:

quote:
Because they don't know to. We don't really KNOW anything about the Assassins, and what we do know is legend and myth. There's no reason to think they'd know what the missing finger means, especially if the amputation ritual, reserved for Masters, was a secret they kept even closer then usual. First, Beeryus: Yes, indeed, it is very stupid. But it is only a game. It is taking away from the realism, though.

quote:

well thats not right because everyone that as seen the assassin has been killed in his path. am i right ?

From Ginga316: its a game maybe there is no reason. apart from to use the hidden blade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you're not right.

katz_bg
01-06-2008, 07:32 AM
It was a "pretty traumatic" initiation ritual on the day he became a Master Assassin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not a Master, but when he first joins the order it's a sacrifice you'd have to be willing to give to show your dedication to the common cause and make room for the hidden blade.

the fact that none of the other assassins have their finger cut off is a mistake ubi's design team didn't notice.

Tennathing
01-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I don't know much history about the Mid-East, but didn't punishments for crimes sometimes involve amputations of sorts? IE, a thief getting his hand cut off...
So perhaps missing a few fingers in Altair's day wasn't uncommon anyways.
Just thinking about it from the other side of the fence. Recognizing an assassin immediately by missing fingers kind of assumes that no one else has missing fingers.

katz_bg
01-07-2008, 02:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tennathing:
I don't know much history about the Mid-East, but didn't punishments for crimes sometimes involve amputations of sorts? IE, a thief getting his hand cut off... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> One of the first (maybe even THE first) to establish these laws was Khan Krum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krum_of_Bulgaria)
though they're only mentioned in the wikipedia page they're not described there. I can't find an online source either, but I don't want to buy a 8th grade history book right now to fill in the page.
Thiefs had their hands cut off, liars - their tongues, murderers were killed themselves and so on...

moqqy
01-07-2008, 08:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tennathing:
I don't know much history about the Mid-East, but didn't punishments for crimes sometimes involve amputations of sorts? IE, a thief getting his hand cut off...
Just thinking about it from the other side of the fence. Recognizing an assassin immediately by missing fingers kind of assumes that no one else has missing fingers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many people had their ring finger completely cut? Not many. And if it was well known that assassins don't have the ring finger.. Well, tough luck to someone who also doesn't have one. He'd need to cut more fingers.

DaGnome
01-08-2008, 03:28 PM
This whole discussion could have been avoided, if people just took a minute to check things up :S

Okay, to clear up some things;

1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qGYJr6MQtJc 2.40 into the movie..

2. Beeyrus wrote: "it would be a bit of a give-away if the authorities could foil a Master Assassin by simply counting how many fingers each suspect had."

well, what about the white clothing hes wearing? or all the weapons? except for the guards and all noble people, no one wears weapons...(and Altair dosnt rly come off as a nobleman)...

Why dosnt the guards take notice of all this? Couse its a GAME!!
Ubisoft has done a very similar thing with Sam Fishers Googles (Spliner Cell series), which allways is in a very give-away shiny green..
Its like a trademark for the charachter you play, to make the guy special and cool.

3. Beyruss wrote: "She just makes a sign to the guy at one point where she bends her ring finger to indicate the loss of a finger to show that she's an assassin like Altair"

Well, how would Desmond understand that she meant shes an assassin , if Altairs missing finger dosent mean hes an Assassin?? :P

U kinda shot yourself in the foot there, Imo..

4. The missing fingers function isnt that the blade comes out there, it actually comes out under his hand..
though, if he would close his hand to a fist, then the blade would come out where the missing finger were supposed to be.

and finally, sry for my bad english..im tired and im swedish :P

dragonslayer316
01-09-2008, 03:27 AM
well altairs fist is closed on all pictures and you can see that the blade would still hit his ring finger.

secpndly it is a game yes but there is a reason for everything.....

moqqy
01-09-2008, 07:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dragonslayer316:
well altairs fist is closed on all pictures and you can see that the blade would still hit his ring finger.

secpndly it is a game yes but there is a reason for everything..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, there's not a reason for everything.

chiaroscuro1337
07-01-2008, 12:28 PM
First, it could be a sign that assassins cannot marry; no left ring finger. Second, the place where his finger used to be is where the hidden blade comes out without cutting him, hence it could have been removed to allow him to wield the hidden blade. But there is a conflict. During the game, you find out that the female scientist, I forget her name, does not have that finger; she shows it to you. She obviously does not wield a hidden blade, or even if it would be useful nowadays. Maybe it just stands a a symbol for being an assassin. A neat easter egg, though: even after she shows you that she is missing that finger, watch her type on the Animus' computer keyboard; she has all 10 fingers! Regardless, I believe that the missing finger stands as a rite of passage, for then you can easily wield a blade, but it could also stand for chastidy and/or not being married, or just plain being an assassin.

spazzoo1025
07-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Lucy didn't remvoe her ring finger &gt;.&gt;

she jsut bent it down to show she's on Desmond's side

dr4k3y
07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
the bending of the ring finger i believe is to create the assassins symbol the ill say letter A now we could say altair removed it to show he devotion to the assassins creed and that lucy did it to show the symbol that desmond saw in his ancestors memories therefore the missing/bending of the ring finger has to be that of the sign of the creed

Perdicles
08-16-2008, 10:24 PM

It seems pretty darned stupid to me to make every top-level assassin so easy to spot that you can tell from 20 yards away that he's an assassin. It seems to me that that would make the job that much harder leading to a greater failure rate. These assassins - they do actually WANT to kill their targets, right? Or have I missed the point somewhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
but look o may not be entirly right but if someone started killing people would u pay attention to his fingers? no. and the few who wer able to see that there life was already gone...

Marglar2009
02-09-2009, 10:00 AM

It seems pretty darned stupid to me to make every top-level assassin so easy to spot that you can tell from 20 yards away that he's an assassin. It seems to me that that would make the job that much harder leading to a greater failure rate. These assassins - they do actually WANT to kill their targets, right? Or have I missed the point somewhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well just wanna say that when they yell assassin in game and spot u, u just kill them thus all that notice the missing finger doesnt get time enough to tell about it cause they die http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mboltevski
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Just thinking about it from the other side of the fence. Recognizing an assassin immediately by missing fingers kind of assumes that no one else has missing fingers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You took the words out of my mouth. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
So what you guys seem to be saying is that someone who had had his finger removed - presumably due to either being a criminal of some sort, or due to being an assassin - would be regarded as perfectly innocent by guards all over the Middle East - and that would be regarded as the guards doing their jobs competently.

Yeah, riiiiight! Next you'll be saying that police these days ought to regard someone who's wearing orange prison overalls and handcuffs as an innocent citizen.

I'm not trying to say it's a bad game. On the contrary, I think it's great. But some of the choices they made in terms of how Altair looks are somewhat illogical. This guy is quite obviously armed to the teeth with numerous very visible and very deadly weapons, yet he can pass himself off as an innocent priest or a harmless citizen. He's also missing a part of his anatomy that marks him as a criminal to anyone who happens to look at his hands.

Not that it really matters, after all it's just a game. But still, the issue has come up, so why not discuss it.

stealthero
02-11-2009, 02:50 PM
He lost his finger in his childhood, he had a terrible kitchen accident while cuting some carrots ROFL!
Now, seriously, since Ubi hadnt really specified something (if Im wrong please correct me because I dont really know ok?) and since that detail (the missing finger) isnt mentioned at all in-game, we can assume it isnt THAT important UNLESS! Ubi gave a reason for it in AC2

caswallawn_2k7
02-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I hear he lost it in an accident involving a mouse trap and a chocolate bar

Raide
02-11-2009, 02:55 PM
A terrible muffin-mixing accident. While he is an assassin, he does like to cook on his days off.

Pro Tip: Dont Drink and Cook, and then try to assassinate people. Getting the hidden blade mixed with Blueberry Muffin can be messy.

stealthero
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
I hear he lost it in an accident involving a mouse trap and a chocolate bar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ROFL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

caswallawn_2k7
02-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm sure raide is stalking me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Anruaee
05-04-2009, 07:08 PM
It was cut off as an oath, to prove your fearless, and for space for the hidden blade so it wont cut the finger hell off.

gaspar30
12-18-2009, 12:37 AM
i can't belive nobody knows, the design of the hidden blade requires that the ring finger is removed so the blade has space to come out

nitres15
12-18-2009, 12:08 PM
read the codex pages

altair4567
12-20-2009, 09:44 AM
quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
gaspar30
i can't belive nobody knows, the design of the hidden blade requires that the ring finger is removed so the blade has space to come out <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ur right and it was cut off to show ur commitment 2 the brotherhood in altairs time.
now u hav a mark branded into the ring finger 2 identify u as 1 of the brotherhood.
i think its in the shape of the brotherhoods sign. not sure

genxraver
12-20-2009, 11:33 AM
someone said that it would be easy to spot the assassin 20 yards away just by noticing that they had a missing finger

thats completely wrong first of all. only the BEST assassins were allowed to wear a hidden blade, let alone a double hidden blade. in AC II, the codex pages reveal that the metal needed to forge the hidden blade is very rare, thus only the "worthy" assassins were allowed to wear it. also altair mentions in the codex pages that it is pointless to remove someone's finger because it was still possible to wear the blade while having all 5 fingers intact.

this implies 2 things: first, that the ring finger is INTENTIONALLY removed to facilitate use of the hidden blade.

secondly, NOT every assassin wears a hidden blade. only the "worthy" ones, aka the master assassins, wear a hidden blade. this is because the metal needed to forge a blade is very rare. thus, only the best of the best assassins would lack a ring finger. thus, 99% of assassins would have all 5 fingers so you could not tell that they are assassins just by looking to see if they dont have a ring finger from 20 yards distance

MrNussbaum
12-20-2009, 12:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by genxraver:

secondly, NOT every assassin wears a hidden blade. only the "worthy" ones, aka the master assassins, wear a hidden blade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is wrong. The codex page states that only the "worthy" are allowed to wield TWO hidden blades.

"The third and final improvement is the most simple - the provision of a
second blade - identical in every way to the first. Should an Assassin ever
find himself tasked with dispatching two targets, he need only time his
strike in such a way that he might reach both at the same time. These blades
will be limited in number since the metals with which we forge them remain
difficult to obtain. I will need to think carefully about who shall be
allowed to carry two . . ."

thekyle0
12-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Did this thread just get bumped for the third time? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

shawnm82
12-21-2009, 10:08 PM
If you remember, when Ezio gets the hidden blade fixed by leonardo, he says that it needed a finger to be cut off, then plays the joke on exio saying he fixed the design so he did not need to lose a finger. I am guessing that Altair was using the hidden blade when it needed to sacrifice a finger to use it.

thegrapist666
12-21-2009, 10:18 PM
it says right in ac2 that to become an assassin and to hold the blade you needed to sacrifice your finger, but it leonardo said the sacrifice had been lifted so thats why ezios isnt missing

EmperorxZurg
12-22-2009, 01:23 AM
lol u watch wkuk grapist? He's right too, it was used as an initiation of faith. Since it was the ring finger it also signified to the master of the pupils dedication to the Brotherhood and that he would not allow any distractions(including love) to stop him from his servitude

Crouching.Tiger
12-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Given how badass Alta´r is, and how he seemingly never got hurt by accident (seeing how Desmond loses synchronization every time someone hits him), my guess would be that he simply did it on a wager to show who was the baddest ***(assin) on this side of Persia.
"Hey, Al Mualim, you might have the guts to stab your helpless son figure guy in the stomach, but can you do THIS with a broken carrot?"

EDIT: Wait, so "badass" is okay to write, but not "***"? Thanks for ruining my lame pun, Ubi Forums!

ShadowEXP
12-22-2009, 09:58 AM
If u play ac2 when u get the scrolls for the hidden blade leonardo tells u that you need to do a ritual and sacrifice your ring finger. Until he smashes the table with a butcher knife and tells u that you don't need to do it because its already been broken.

DaShenMaster
05-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Okay here goes nothing. Altair lost his finger as the hidden blade needed a space to go through. This had to be done or the first time you use it, you'd get a nasty shock. Ezio has two hidden blades but 10 fingers, BECAUSE Leonardo Di Vinci formulated a method and spring system which you flick your wrist back and not recieve any wounds. Ezio was skilled in this way that he NEVER cuts himself, also implying he is not suicide it that kinda way.

itsamea-mario
05-28-2010, 06:07 AM
well the losing of a finger isnt need for ejecting the blade, just holding it out, also losing a finger would have been made cerimonial, but ezio does not have this done because as time went on they realised that they needed to be much more descreet, so instead the brand the finger, and cover it with a ring. the new design of blade was not formulated by leanardo, it was done by altair and malik, (read the codex pages) if you think, leanardo could not have creatd the new design because giovani uses the same blade yet kept all of ghis fingers.

in summary, the new blade does not require a removed ring finger because it remains out without the ned to hold. and the amputation cerimony was replaced by the branding cerimony.(seen at the end of section 11)

EmperorxZurg
05-28-2010, 08:14 AM
itsame is right, and also ZOMBIE THREAD

http://www.scificool.com/images/2009/06/Zombieland.jpg

Majest1kMoose
05-30-2010, 06:48 AM
I Don't Feel Like Reading This All So Sorry If It Was Already Stated.
But, He Lost It Due To Inititiation, AND For The Hiden Blade. Later On, After AC1 He Talks About How Al' Mualim's Traditions Were Wrong, And You Don't Need To Cut Off A Finger To Be An Assassin, It's About, Like, Doing The Right Thing. Or Some BS. That's Why He Modified The Hidden Blade So It Sits Higher So You Don't Need To Cut Off Your Finger. It's Talked About In The Codex In AC2.

BK-110
05-30-2010, 07:29 AM
It is implied both by Da Vinci and the Codex Pages in Assassin's Creed 2, that it was needed for the use of the Hidden Blade. We don't see anyone else use the Hidden Blade. Although there are other Assassins, such as Rauf, who seem to have one as well, but are not missing their finger. This is likely to be a mistake by the developers. Either they accidentally left the finger or accidentally gave him the gauntlet with the blade.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Galax907:
If you reed the interview in x-box 360 magazine with one of the writers it says what everything means, and that he did get it cut off when joining the assassins and thats what lucy shows him at the end, is that she is missing the finger too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

She is not missing a finger. She's just bending it to imply that she's an Assassin. You can look at her at any other point throughout the game and see that she has all ten fingers.

EmperorxZurg
05-30-2010, 10:27 AM
maybe you guys should have looked at my above post. This be a zombie thread! The answers already been given long ago, actually on the first page. everything both of you have said has been stated.

thehiredblade
06-01-2010, 05:52 AM
he lost his finger cos of the hidden blade he needs his finger off so the hidden blade can come out without cutting his finger off.Think what would happen if they didn't cut his finger off. Altair is about too do an assassination he jumps from the crowd the hidden blade comes out cutting his finger off then Altair is on the ground and the guard kills him.

Ru1986
06-01-2010, 06:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thehiredblade:
he lost his finger cos of the hidden blade he needs his finger off so the hidden blade can come out without cutting his finger off.Think what would happen if they didn't cut his finger off. Altair is about too do an assassination he jumps from the crowd the hidden blade comes out cutting his finger off then Altair is on the ground and the guard kills him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL might make for a funney comedy sketch that though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Abeonis
06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Grand Masters themselves were probably far between. Altair's the only one in the clan during the time the game takes place. They might not have popped up frequently enough to make a coherent pattern. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am getting tired of people calling Altair a Grand Master. He wasn't, not until after the events of the first game, even during his travels in Cyprus he wasn't yet the Grand Master.

Grand Master and Master Assassin are two different ranks entirely; the leader of the Order and it's greatest assassin respectively.

M1918A2
06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I think Altair did not have a finger because he had a hidden blade, because if you have played AC2 when Ezio gets his hidden blade he is told that they used to have to cut of the ring finger to ensure the comitment of those who have it. And as to him being reconized by not having a finger couldn't they just tell by his clothes? I mean how many people walk around in prist clothes with a sword and a dagger on there back?

EmperorxZurg
06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
M19: Altair did not have a ring finger. This was because of the functionality of the blade and also as a ceremony pledging not to marry and stay loyal to the creed. And no his clothes were actually not giveaways. It was in the middle of a war, it was common for civilians to carry weaponry, so people just thought of him as a very cautious monk. He was actually with the status quo. And they weren't priest clothes either, just monk. Remember Priests are Christian and he was pretending to be just a spiritual monk

Gabbatron1
07-12-2010, 05:52 AM
On assassins creed 2 Leonardo says to ezio that if he wants to use the hidden blade he is going to need to cut his ring finger off as a joke because he has a safer way of doing it.

darkus13
07-12-2010, 06:25 AM
The ring finger was cut off because it is needed in order to use the hidden blade(Da Vinci said this in AC2) so anyone who uses the hidden blade must have his finger cut off.

sameer_monier
07-12-2010, 08:17 AM
okay look i am not sure of this but if i recall correctly, in AC2 when Ezio gives Leonardo the first codex that has the blade, Leonardo tells him he have to cut his finger for it, but then he says he was kidding no need to

I think it was an assassin thing you know

darkus13
07-12-2010, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sameer_monier:
okay look i am not sure of this but if i recall correctly, in AC2 when Ezio gives Leonardo the first codex that has the blade, Leonardo tells him he have to cut his finger for it, but then he says he was kidding no need to

I think it was an assassin thing you know </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, he said that the original design could only work without the finger but he modified it and now it's good to go.

sameer_monier
07-12-2010, 04:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by darkus13:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sameer_monier:

No, he said that the original design could only work without the finger but he modified it and now it's good to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah exactly, that's more like it

EzioAssassin51
07-13-2010, 03:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by darkus13:

No, he said that the original design could only work without the finger but he modified it and now it's good to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah exactly, that's more like it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leo didn't modify it, Altair did, according to the Codex, he found a way to have the blade and not get your finger cut off!

StrikerTheWolf
12-21-2010, 01:59 PM
It was said in Assassin's Creed 2 that there was a sacrifice that had to be made for the blade to work. Altair's hand shows that he had to make the sacrifice to use it. Ezio did not have to, because Leonardo da Vinci tinkered the hidden blade device so that there was no sacrifice needed. Hence Ezio has all his fingers, and how he extends his hand when the hidden blade comes out.

So, the hidden blade was how Altair lost his ring finger.

F4H bandicoot
12-21-2010, 02:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StrikerTheWolf:
It was said in Assassin's Creed 2 that there was a sacrifice that had to be made for the blade to work. Altair's hand shows that he had to make the sacrifice to use it. Ezio did not have to, because Leonardo da Vinci tinkered the hidden blade device so that there was no sacrifice needed. Hence Ezio has all his fingers, and how he extends his hand when the hidden blade comes out.

So, the hidden blade was how Altair lost his ring finger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
altair made the original adjustement to the blade by increasing the angle of thebit which goes around your wrist

CARAPTOR
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
If you play assassins creed 2 Leonardo davinci says that it required a sacrifice but he changed it. The reason no one else has their ring finger cut off is because Altair invented the hidden blade.

Krayus Korianis
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I can't believe people are still going on about the cut finger... Even after so many games.

Alta´r's finger was sacrificed to be able to use the original blade. It required a commitment from the user to do so. Until Alta´r became Grand Master of the Assassin Order.

In the Codex, Alta´r modified the blade so the user could keep their ring finger and be able to blend into the crowd more easily. He also made plans for a second blade to be able to easily take out two targets at once.

Now Assassins use a brand around their ring finger instead of cutting it off. The brand consists of a ring and the Assassin's Symbol on it.

Seriously, after so many games and so many EXPLANATIONS within those games... People still don't understand?

rileypoole1234
01-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Did any of you play AC2? Leo wouldve had to cut Ezios finger off but the design for the Hidden Blade was changed. It was so the hidden blade could work

ninja_7_7
01-19-2011, 06:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rileypoole1234:
Did any of you play AC2? Leo wouldve had to cut Ezios finger off but the design for the Hidden Blade was changed. It was so the hidden blade could work </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you not read any of the posts above you.

oricle
01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
i think he got it cut off after he reached the rank were he would receive the hidden blade. because if you remember in assassins creed two Leonardo said Ezio would have to cut off his finger because to operate the weapon it required "a sacrifice" but Ezio didn't have to because he claimed he made some modifications so he wouldn't need to do so.

SilentDrifterGT
01-19-2011, 10:57 PM
All I would like to say is, that this thread was created in 2007. So naturally, some of it was posted before AC2 was even released.

beacuase...
01-20-2011, 06:16 AM
That video somebody posted, with the (hot) producer doing the development diary also shows how the hidden blade works, and I think there was a massive thread asking that. Crazy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Xanatos2007
01-20-2011, 07:44 AM
He lost his finger in a plumbing accident. Case closed.

itsamea-mario
01-20-2011, 10:07 AM
That explains the Italian connection then. Before the crusades, work was scarce, so Altair did some freelance oddjobs. on one job he had to go and fix the plumbing for a ms. peach. but since she lived a fair distance away, and the job required more tools,Altair asked his friends Mario and Luigi, to help, what with them being proffesional plumbers. whilst he was on the job, he was tightening a bolt, when a giant spikey dinosour thing jumped out and bit his finger off, now in agony Altair found himself immobilised, but luckily mario came to the rescue and saved Altairs life. Altair felt he was indebted to Mario, so he said he would move to Italy and help Mario maintain his land. but he got called of to work when King Richard declared war, So he had no choice but to leave and join the fight.
A few years later Altair had just defeated his master, and decided now would be a good time to retire from assassinating.
His last job was to Kill princess peach for being a stupid b****. then he moved to Italy and helped mario tend to his fields, whilst in Italy Altair had a child, Mario became the godfather, Altair decided that one of his descendants would be named After Mario, in respect to his friend.

Then one day about ten years later, Mario found altair dead in his study, on the desk was a metal sphere, when mario touched it he felt incredible power, he realised that he could use this tool to achieve power beyond belief, control the minds of men and extend his own life.

And thats why the Mario franchise is still popular to this day.

marbatico
01-20-2011, 12:40 PM
the finger is removed to make place for the hidden blade. leonardo tells that to ezio
here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJHW7BnOtnU)look at 1.18

itsamea-mario
01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
No s*** your SO smart!!
You managed to work out a great mystery that NO one else could figure out! your the BIG hero, congatulations on being such a CLEVER and intuitive person!!!!!!!

DashRunner92
01-20-2011, 12:51 PM
The game has stated this before. The initiation of becoming an assassin orginally contained cutting of the ring finger. This was in order to be wield the hidden blade and use it. Leornardo mentions that he is able to make adjustments to the hidden blade designs so the losing of the ring finger is no longer needed. The whole reason behind the branding of the Assassin symbol on the ring finger is to modernize the initiation.

marbatico
01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
No s*** your SO smart!!
You managed to work out a great mystery that NO one else could figure out! your the BIG hero, congatulations on being such a CLEVER and intuitive person!!!!!!!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thats what i do best!

marbatico: for all you're stating the obvious business http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

vindicatar
01-20-2011, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marbatico:
the finger is removed to make place for the hidden blade. leonardo tells that to ezio
here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJHW7BnOtnU)look at 1.18 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At 1:50 i guess no one notices he says "i was only having fun, Ezio! Though the blade once required a sacrifice, its been modified. You can keep your finger" &gt;_&gt;

TrueDemonzBane
01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flowulf:
How did Altair lose his ring finger on his right hand? Is it something that the assasins lose to weild the blade, or was it an accident in which he severed his finger? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>"the blade is designed so that the user most make a sacrifice"-leonardo
the assassins were required to make the sacrifice of their left ring finger, to insure that they could not get married, which is something most people fear in death, never being able to be with the one you love again. but that was too obvious, so at some point between altair and ezio, they changed the ritual to require the burning of the assassin's insignia onto the finger, which isnt as much of a red flag, unless you get close enough to see it
so, it was to keep them faithfull to the brotherhood

EclipseTheDark
01-20-2011, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSUcfdpD7yg

^ That should eplain everything. It's an animated short called Initiation done by TheDuoGroup.

itsamea-mario
01-21-2011, 07:19 AM
@Eclipse.

In your sig you say "cross between a ninja and assassin" well just so you know 'ninja' is japanese for assassin.

Since that didn't contribute to this thread, (and why should it?)
I'll repeat what has been said a billion zillion times, it was cut of 1. for sort of initiation (which had to be modified over time) 2. the old hidden blade model required it.

Or ofcourse you can believe it was a plumbing accident as that is clearly more plausible.

CCHWBH97
02-14-2011, 05:04 PM
To wield the hidden blade, all assassins had to cut off their ring finger, it was designed that way to ensure commitment. Leonardo Da Vinci says that Assassin's Creed 2. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

iN3krO
02-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Altair is the only one that uses the hidden blade at assassin's creed 1 and therefore no one else is missing his finger.

Ezio (Leonardo da Vinci) broke the tradition and that's why Desmond doesn't have to cut his finger (he's the only one that uses hidden blade at nowadays)

PS - Why Desmond and Geovani's name has nothing to do with the eagles?

LaCava1
02-15-2011, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
Altair is the only one that uses the hidden blade at assassin's creed 1 and therefore no one else is missing his finger.

Ezio (Leonardo da Vinci) broke the tradition and that's why Desmond doesn't have to cut his finger (he's the only one that uses hidden blade at nowadays)

PS - Why Desmond and Geovani's name has nothing to do with the eagles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Other Assassin's use it in #1, you just don't get a close look at their fingers.

rob.davies2014
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Altair "Are you sure about this?" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Al Mualim "Oh yes *s******* all the best assassins have done it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif
Altair "How come all your fingers are still intact?
Al Mualim " um... I... er... ah yes... The Grand Master of the Assassins doesn't have to do it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
Altair: hmmm... OK, here goes. *chops finger off*
AAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif
Al Mualim: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Seriously though, I bet they were ll just playing a trick on Altair. Not a single other Assassin has their finger removed, not even Darius, who was using his hidden blade back in 465 BC had all his fingers!

swiftkinfe
02-15-2011, 06:48 PM
The assassins in AC1 had it although the removal of a finger not being present was just oversights on the developers part.

ricecrakka
02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
They should just look for someone who looks badass, wears a white robe, carries weapons, and looks like he'll kill you with his stride.

Xanatos2007
02-16-2011, 09:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
@Eclipse.

In your sig you say "cross between a ninja and assassin" well just so you know 'ninja' is japanese for assassin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://files.myopera.com/drlaunch/albums/94593/thumbs/orry001.jpg_thumb.jpg

Actually, Ninjas weren't assassins (they might've performed the odd assassination now & then but their primary role was that of a spy). The term 'Ninja' simply means a practitioner of Ninjitsu ('nin' = silent, 'jitsu/jutsu' = way/art/path/school).

Japanese for 'assassin' in the sense of a political murderer is 'ansatsu-sha', and in the sense of a paid hitman it's 'koroshi-ya'.
There was a special term for a professional killer in the Samurai era known as 'sikyaku' which, again, is not 'Ninja'.

L0rdeKing
02-27-2011, 03:08 PM
http://imageupload.org/?di=15129884433816
That is the truth http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

LaCava1
02-27-2011, 05:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
@Eclipse.

In your sig you say "cross between a ninja and assassin" well just so you know 'ninja' is japanese for assassin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://files.myopera.com/drlaunch/albums/94593/thumbs/orry001.jpg_thumb.jpg

Actually, Ninjas weren't assassins (they might've performed the odd assassination now & then but their primary role was that of a spy). The term 'Ninja' simply means a practitioner of Ninjitsu ('nin' = silent, 'jitsu/jutsu' = way/art/path/school).

Japanese for 'assassin' in the sense of a political murderer is 'ansatsu-sha', and in the sense of a paid hitman it's 'koroshi-ya'.
There was a special term for a professional killer in the Samurai era known as 'sikyaku' which, again, is not 'Ninja'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True, though I don't approve of the racist ORLY picture.
The Ninja were farmers who were sick of putting up with those darn Samurai.

rileypoole1234
02-27-2011, 07:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ninja_7_7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rileypoole1234:
Did any of you play AC2? Leo wouldve had to cut Ezios finger off but the design for the Hidden Blade was changed. It was so the hidden blade could work </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you not read any of the posts above you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I didn't

Mafiakiller7
06-22-2012, 07:03 PM
In part of the codex in assassin's creed 2 the part that talks about the dual hidden blades altair states that he wanted to create a hidden blade that didn't require the lose of a finger.

xXMrGR1NCHXx
06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
The assassin's did this so when the blade came out they made a fist, the blade would run where the finger once was.

sticks165
06-22-2012, 09:30 PM
old thread is old.
don't revive old threads.

tarrero
06-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Come on......

xXMrGR1NCHXx
06-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Sorry, saw the date before me and figured it was relatively new.

Evenesque
06-23-2012, 06:01 AM
How do you not know this? Leonardo specifically stated when he reconstructed Ezio's first hidden blade that the previous versions required the amputation of the finger in order for the blade to extend unobstructed, but he improved Ezio's so his don't.

POP1Fan
06-23-2012, 12:17 PM
He did something nasty with Maria...and she liked it too much.

obliviondoll
06-23-2012, 12:20 PM
How do you not know this? Leonardo specifically stated when he reconstructed Ezio's first hidden blade that the previous versions required the amputation of the finger in order for the blade to extend unobstructed, but he improved Ezio's so his don't.

No he didn't.

He specifically stated that the design for the Hidden Blade had originally required the removal of a ring finger but had already been modified before their time.

Giovanni (Ezio's father) had been using the Hidden Blade as an Assassin without losing his finger.

Alta´r created the improved Hidden Blade that no longer needs the ring finger to be removed.

Ash_Killem
06-23-2012, 03:59 PM
How is this even disputed? Has anyone here played the game? But others are right in that it was removed as a requirement for the blade to come out more easily but also as initiation to show ones commitment to the order... But this is stopped with Ezio and Leonardo as they fix the design so removing the finger is not needed

obliviondoll
06-23-2012, 04:14 PM
How is this even disputed? Has anyone here played the game? But others are right in that it was removed as a requirement for the blade to come out more easily but also as initiation to show ones commitment to the order... But this is stopped with Ezio and Leonardo as they fix the design so removing the finger is not needed

No, it didn't.

It stopped when Alta´r changed the design of the Hidden Blade.

Have YOU played the games?

Black_Widow9
06-24-2012, 01:12 AM
So 'm pretty sure the actual reason has been answered. Please don't resurrect Topics.