PDA

View Full Version : Italians in the battle of britain

wintergoose
11-27-2005, 08:03 AM
I read in a old book that on the 24.october 1940 the Italian was taken part on a bombing attack on London.
There also was a picture in the book showing the bombers in heavy fire.
The did not go werry well for the Italians.

Have anyboddy som information on this Italian mission? What plane, what losses, was it only this singel opperation?
I cant find anyting in my books.

wintergoose
11-27-2005, 08:03 AM
I read in a old book that on the 24.october 1940 the Italian was taken part on a bombing attack on London.
There also was a picture in the book showing the bombers in heavy fire.
The did not go werry well for the Italians.

Have anyboddy som information on this Italian mission? What plane, what losses, was it only this singel opperation?
I cant find anyting in my books.

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-27-2005, 08:15 AM
The Italians did indeeed mount a few attacks against Britain, from bases in Belgium. Although I've never seen attacks on London mentioned.

Certainly CR42's were shot down over Canterbury. There's one in the RAF Museum at Hendon, I believe.

Treat this as a bump while I look further afield or someone with more info' posts.

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-27-2005, 08:41 AM
A little bit more to keep you going...

A quick search reveals that 50 CR 42's operated from Belgian bases, including Maldegen, between September and November 1940. They were recalled on 3rrd January 1941, after suffering heavy losses.

G50's were sent to Belgium, but their limited range meant that they played virtually no part in operations against Britain.

As for bombers, 80 brand new Fiat BR20 Cicogna's were were also sent to Belgium and were active over the ports of Harwich, Ramsgate and Ipswich on day and night operations between October and December 1940, before being withdrawn.

*edit* I knew I'd seen a site somewhere - here you go:
http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/falco_bob.htm

Lots of nice pictures.

DIRTY-MAC
11-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Here you go:
The Regia Aeronautica in the Battle of Britain
http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/falco_bob.htm

VW-IceFire
11-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Interestingly enough...Oleg is modeling this part into the Battle of Britain as well. So there will be three airforces well represented...the RAF, the Luftwaffe, and the Italian Air Force (Regiane Aeronautica is it written?).

I think this was a disasterous episode for the Italians but they learned quite a bit from the whole thing. I think one thing was that they never painted their planes in bright colours ever again...

wintergoose
11-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Than you, just what I was looking fore

JG52Uther
11-27-2005, 10:20 AM
There is indeed a beautiful CR42 at the RAF museum in Hendon,that i believe crash landed on a beach after an oil feed failure.

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-27-2005, 11:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Uther:
There is indeed a beautiful CR42 at the RAF museum in Hendon,that i believe crash landed on a beach after an oil feed failure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone kindly posted some photo's of it here a while ago....I can't find it on my H/D http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

-----------------------------------------------

Corpo Aereo Italiano (CAI)

13º Stormo
38 Fiat BR.20's

43º Stormo
27 Fiat Br.20's

18º Gruppo
50 Fiat CR.42's*

20º Gruppo
48 Fiat G.50's*

5 Cant Z.1007's (Reconnaissance)

* Fighter units were controlled by the 56º Stormo Caccia

On 19 October, 1940, all units arrived at Ursel. The Channel Front lasted from 25 October 1940 to 3 January 1941.

OOB By Jim Heddlesten

Source:

"Italian Aces of World War Two": Giovanni Massimello and Giorgio Apostolo