PDA

View Full Version : "set up game" bug

diskamyl
11-15-2007, 01:05 AM
when I try to play a certain position taken from a pgn or FEN against any of the CM personalities, Chessmaster doesn't know which side it is to move and you cannot play from that position. so the "set up game" function, which I always used in my analysis does not work in CM11.

Even if you switch sides (ctrl + l), the confusion of CM continues, and you certainly cannot get the proper move sequence.

please solve this problem in the next patch, because it's very dissapointing to go back to CM10 for analysis of positions when you just have bought the newest one.

diskamyl
11-15-2007, 01:05 AM
when I try to play a certain position taken from a pgn or FEN against any of the CM personalities, Chessmaster doesn't know which side it is to move and you cannot play from that position. so the "set up game" function, which I always used in my analysis does not work in CM11.

Even if you switch sides (ctrl + l), the confusion of CM continues, and you certainly cannot get the proper move sequence.

please solve this problem in the next patch, because it's very dissapointing to go back to CM10 for analysis of positions when you just have bought the newest one.

taraboste
11-15-2007, 01:34 AM
You should "Load" the PGN game, then go to the position from where you want continue, then go to the "Setup Game" window where you choose anything but not infinite time. If the computer should move, use the "Wake Up!" command -Ctrl+W. It works here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

diskamyl
11-15-2007, 01:40 AM
yep, I know all that. the problem is not about time controls, I made my post very clear but you somehow ignored that.

again: in a given position for white to move, CM thinks it's illegal for white to move. you simply cannot move the pieces.

actually, it thinks it's illegal for BOTH sides to move.

the same thing happens both in pgn and FEN.

taraboste
11-15-2007, 03:34 AM
Is not clear enough what the problem is. Try to be more specific, with more details. I don't try to avoid it, I want to fix it.
Give me the pgn file (just copy here the text) and let me know from what position you want to continue the game. Tell me the move number or something else...
Thanks.

diskamyl
11-17-2007, 01:20 AM
ok taraboste, thanks for your interest first.

now I want to make things as clear as possible, going step by step.

1)I opened up fritz, and from a game, I copied this FEN:

r1bq1r2/pp1p1ppk/3Qpn2/2p3B1/1nP5/2N2N2/PP3PPP/R4RK1 b - - 0 12

Now, in this position, you'll see it's black's turn to move. Ok.

2) I opened CM11, opened play/training mode, then clicked on Edit/Forsythe Board Position.

3) I clicked Game/Set up Game. I as default, "played from the bottom," which was initially white. Than, I chose the black side as the CM personality Alhekine, and set the Time controls as "30 seconds to move". then clicked OK.

4)now, the position is infront of me, as Alhekine is my opponents as black, and I'm White. the first problem is: although it's black to move in the FEN and Alhekine has only 30 seconds to move, it rejects to move, and his clock doesn't start ticking.

second problem, is that I, as white, can make a move! it's illegal in the position, but yet, I moved my knight to e5. Now, third problem: CM11 displays the move in the Game status as 12... Ne5! (it thinks it was black who moved). then, Alhekine who is black, in 30 seconds, moves the pawn to b6!, and the Game status displays this move as 13.b6 (like it was White's moves, but it was blacks')

this is the a variant of my problem. the second variant seems to be worse:

let's pick another FEN where it's black to move again.

Here's the FEN:

1r2r1k1/4Rpbp/p2P2p1/8/Np2n3/2p4P/PP4PB/3R1K2 b - - 0 1

as you see, it's black to move again. Now the same steps, go to CM11, edit/paste/Forsythe Board Position. then, Game/Set up game/ I play from the bottom again, but this time I'm BLACK, and this time let's choose Capablanca for variety as the opponent, and as WHITE. and choose the time controls 20 seconds to move. then click OK.

now, I see the position in front of me, where I have the black pieces in the bottom, Capablanca has the white pieces, but this time NEITHER side can move any piece! I simply can't move any black pieces. and when I try to move the white pieces (although I know they're not mine), they cannot move too.

I tried to be as clear as possible, I'm so sure that this is really a bug, and it's reproducible in ANY kind of FEN where it's black to move. hope this helps, and hope this will be solved in the next patch.

diskamyl
11-17-2007, 09:29 AM
bump - I hope this bug doesn't go unnoticed until the next patch.