PDA

View Full Version : OT: BOB 4 CFS3 OK?

tagTaken2
04-28-2005, 10:29 PM
The firepower addon, I mean. Looking to add value to my coaster.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but search function still doesn't seem to be working on forums.

tagTaken2
04-28-2005, 10:29 PM
The firepower addon, I mean. Looking to add value to my coaster.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but search function still doesn't seem to be working on forums.

FI-Aflak
04-28-2005, 11:45 PM
I have no direct experience . . . but I've been on these boards and remember the last topic.

I think the consensus was it was much much better than standard CFS3, but still nowhere close to IL2. I think it was recommended for people that wanted to fly in parts of the war that IL2+FB+AEP+PF don't have.

-HH- Beebop
04-28-2005, 11:48 PM
IIRC the Firepower addon for M$FS2004 does give you warplanes but no load outs. As you pass over a city make whistling noises followed by your best <span class="ev_code_RED">KABOOM!</span> sound. Rat-a-tat-tat-tat will do for the guns.

Seriously the planes look like they are rendered nicely but you can't go to war. Now if you want to simulate the Confederate Airforce flying museum pieces to various airshows...............

Skycat_2
04-29-2005, 01:36 PM
-HH- Beebop is describing Shockwave's "Wings of Power" add-on for FS2004 that adds WWII-era heavy bombers to the sim. Not much help in answering the original question, but I think I know where he was trying to go with that reply ...

Shockwave also released a similar product for CFS-3 titled "FirePower" that has all the same bombers plus some new fighters. I understand that the real value comes with the smoke and battlefield effects, and the improved damage and weapon values. If you ask about add-ons for CFS-3 in a CFS-3 forum, people will swear that FirePower is essential to making the sim playable. Personally, I don't have it so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment.

The add-on you are asking about, "Battle of Britain," very quickly followed CFS-3's release and has generally gotten positive reviews. I'd say that its value is limited today, however, because it only adds only a few new planes -- the Hurricane comes to mind but maybe the Stuka is added as well. I believe it has sequential historic missions and probably a dynamic campaign similar to the stock campaigns. But the addon doesn't do much to change CFS-3's overall look, if that is what you are asking.

I'm projecting that if you don't like CFS-3, BoB alone won't reverse that. Free add-ons, especially the Korean War kit, the upcoming Mediterranean Air War addon (possibly for purchase?) or even FirePower will go a lot further. Personally, I'd save my money for one of the upcoming "Battle of Britain" stand-alone titles ... "Wings of Victory" looks promising and of course Oleg's future BoB sim will re-define air combat sims as we know them.

Edit: link to CFS-3 BoB add-on review (http://www.ic-games.co.uk/index.php?location=1&articleid=688).

ytareh
04-29-2005, 03:28 PM
My brother got CFS3 recently and (admittedly hes not great with computers)spent a frustrating hour trying to get it to run (many crashes/restarts) before uninstalling it in a rage.He says Im welcome to it.Im considering buying this 'famous' "Firepower"add on as Ilike the idea of all the Korean etc stuff.Am I just setting myself up for a major headache(Does CFS3 really take other programs with it when it crashes!?).Ive got no new game in the last few months that I actually play.I keep coming back to IL2/PF.Heres a brief summary.LOMAC-even on the second attempt couldnt get into it....sitting with a pen and paper taking notes to allow me to even shoot at trucks let alone engage in air to air missile combat-WAY too complicated even in simplest settings.SILENT HUNTER3-as LOMAC but in/under water!"Torpedo solution"?!I teach Physics and Maths and couldnt be bothered trying to 'fathom' that mystery!(shame cos I liked SH2)EUROFIGHTER-a joke ,not funny,pathetically rendered pilots playing pool for FIVE minutes before a mission briefing!!!NATIONS FIGHTER COMMAND-a real oddball(yet bought in HMV)will not play on XP.B17MIGHTY 8TH-gunner positions mildly entertaining otherwise dull -fighters rubbish compared with "Our Game"!Iknow some of the mods will tell me to research elsewhere(or 'suspend me'!)but Id like some of our community's opinion on CFS3.After all theres a monster thread on SH3.Are there any WW1 add ons for CFS (2 or 3?)Everyone knows IL2/PF is better Im just curious about this game...

steve_v
04-29-2005, 03:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
Iknow some of the mods will tell me to research elsewhere(or 'suspend me'!)but Id like some of our community's opinion on CFS3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Members have their forum access suspended when violating the terms of use, not for asking about CFS3. Here is a recent thread from the PF forum offering a wide array of opinions and perspectives.

OMG! - MS CFS3 - Best $30 I ever spent
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/8221099082/p/1

-HH- Beebop
04-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Skycat_2;

Thanks for the correction. My apologies for wrong info to you tagTaken2. Obviously I don't know my M$ entertainment software. what can I say? I'm an FBAddict.

ytareh;
re: SHIII. A friend of mine is as hooked on that game as I am to FB. Apparently there is some kind of weapons Officer that will do firing solutions for you so you don't have to do the math. Mind you, this friend is a hardcore FPS guy who considers FB a game to "dabble" in. Now he comes to work regaling me with tales of the North Atlanic and I regale him with tales of the airwar in the Eastern Front.
Of course SH just might not be your cup of tea but like FB it seems to be somewhat scalable. If you like sub sims the concensus is this is the one to have. If I had more time, (read Ed MacMahon vists me), I'd try it out. It sounds like a realy good title.

Eldon45
04-30-2005, 08:43 AM
CFS3 with Firepower, Winding Man's Scenery, Fox's Effects, Luftwaffe Oberst's sounds, and 1% airplane addons (and some others) is significantly better than the original product. The Korean theater is free and is what led me to install CFS3 again in the first place. In my opinion, the Korean addon made the whole original purchase worth it, which I appreciate after having written off the original CFS3 a total waste of money.

If you have the original, I figure, why not raise it up from complete pile it was when it first came out? Firepower is only about $12. Now it's a decent game. The only area in which it might beat IL2 in any way is some of the original engine sounds you can download from the net. Otherwise, IMO, there's really still no comparison between it and the IL2 series. At least I get some satisfaction in feeling that I didn't waste $40 four years ago.

Skycat_2
04-30-2005, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
Im considering buying this 'famous' "Firepower"add on as I like the idea of all the Korean etc stuff.Am I just setting myself up for a major headache(Does CFS3 really take other programs with it when it crashes!?) ... Are there any WW1 add ons for CFS (2 or 3?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As said, the Korean War mod is a free download. FirePower adds a flyable B-29 to the game, however, along with B-17, B-24, Lancaster and some others.

As for WWI, there is an add-on in development for CFS-3 called "Over Flanders Field." There was a website showing screenshots of progress, but I believe the site link changed. Offhand, I don't know of WWI mods for CFS-1 and CFS-2, although I don't doubt there are at least user-made planes created for each. I'd recommend you skip CFS-1 unless its ultra-cheap bargain bin price makes it impossible to resist. CFS-2 was an improvement over CFS-1, and still somewhat fun, but the in-cockpit experience feels all wrong after FB/PF.

In general, the big problem I have with CFS-3 isn't that it crashes a lot, but that it sets itself up as a resource hog 'out of the box' and frame rates were horrible. However, there are a bunch of settings you can change, and with the proper advice you can get CFS-3 to run about as good as FB/PF. Air battles over major cities like London will drop your frames, but then again so will FB air battles over Helsinki.

If CFS-3 "crashes", it shouldn't take other programs with it. You'll just crash to desktop. Realistically, with sims like FB and CFS-3 that require a lot of CPU you shouldn't be running background programs anyway. Even disabling your Anitvirus program will help your game's performance if you are willing to take the risk.

Aaron_GT
04-30-2005, 04:12 PM
What does the Korean mod give you?

Eldon45
04-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Aaron_GT--
The Korean theater actually doesn't touch your original install of CFS3--it uses it but presents itself as a completely separate game on your computer, with its own launch icon, own separate folders, and all. The Korean game runs off the 2nd disc of CFS3. Inside your Korean game you will find all the original CFS3 WW 2 airplanes (not too good) with a new (Korean) theater (decent enough) and several new planes from the Korean conflict, including F-80s, F9Fs, F-86s, MiG-15s, Skyraiders, late Corsairs and Mustangs. The new planes seem decent IMO and the jet dogfights are really very fun and different. As far as I can see, adding Firepower and all the other goodies available to CFS3 makes NO IMPACT on the Korean game, so don't buy Firepower and download all those effects, sounds and etc. if you're only interested in the Korean theater! Only do all that if you want to improve CFS3. I say all this because I didn't understand the relationship between the games myself till they were on my computer.

That said, the link to the Korean theater with exact info. on plane addons etc. is here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/~dakota/pages/base_ops.shtml

Skycat_2
04-30-2005, 08:45 PM
... As for the effect improvements offered by FirePower, I never bothered to purchase the product because I've been satisfied with GhostPony and Nanni's free download builds:
http://theghostfiles.org/
They'll take some time to get through, but each upgrade adds to the overall effect. Ghost's site also has new engine sounds and other interesting effects and graphic improvements.

Blade124 of SimHQ, who is in reality part of the Shockwave team, posted some information about what FirePower does for CFS-3: http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=82;t=003065 . If you want to have more realistic damage models, then FirePower has value. By the way, from what I've seen posted, FirePower operates separately from the main CFS-3 folder so you can either play with or without FP changes.

Two more threads that may be of interest for free mods, add-ons and information:
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=82;t=003100
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=82;t=002969

There. Nuff' said. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif