PDA

View Full Version : just flew my first full campaign mssion and

tonedog2005
12-25-2005, 05:19 PM
i started a berlin JAN 45 campaign using expansion "the last days" on full realism except map line/icons and external view.

how many people here fly usin no icons. how u supposed to know of the little specks on the horizon are fried or foe? i thought i was on the tail of a P51 and it wasnt until i fired i found out it was a friendly. i also had map icons on cos if i hadnt i wouldve been well lost. after a few seconds into the dogfight it passed me by and i needed the map to find my flight again.

it was a CAP and after the dogfight i got a mission success on the screen so i just stuck it on auto pilot. it felt like an arcade game. in that the bad guys are dead and there wont be any more. do the AI pilots ever land? they circled 8 times till i eventually jumped ahead of them.

final point. what exatly do all these add ons actually do? what is different from the campaign that "the last days" generated to the stock IL2 FB dynamic campaigns?

sorry for long post

tonedog2005
12-25-2005, 05:19 PM
i started a berlin JAN 45 campaign using expansion "the last days" on full realism except map line/icons and external view.

how many people here fly usin no icons. how u supposed to know of the little specks on the horizon are fried or foe? i thought i was on the tail of a P51 and it wasnt until i fired i found out it was a friendly. i also had map icons on cos if i hadnt i wouldve been well lost. after a few seconds into the dogfight it passed me by and i needed the map to find my flight again.

it was a CAP and after the dogfight i got a mission success on the screen so i just stuck it on auto pilot. it felt like an arcade game. in that the bad guys are dead and there wont be any more. do the AI pilots ever land? they circled 8 times till i eventually jumped ahead of them.

final point. what exatly do all these add ons actually do? what is different from the campaign that "the last days" generated to the stock IL2 FB dynamic campaigns?

sorry for long post

Kuna15
12-25-2005, 05:52 PM
- About your icons question you can find that one out on three ways;
you can try to recognize aircraft shape (as you will see it before markings) and second way is to ask your squadmates to help you -- if they are replying positively that they are engaging foes there is a high chance that spots you see are foes (otherwise if they are by any chance friendlies there are foes around you but you didn't spotted them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif).
Third way is to engage time skip if game doesn't allow it there are foes nearby (either aircraft or AA).

- I am flying all my campaigns on 'realistic' settings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

- About firing solutions; you never should fire your weapon if you clearly can not see enemy aircraft. Because of two reasons; you are out of range if you don't see it clearly, and second you can destroy friendly aircraft. There is a thrid reason too but only apply for humans -- they can see your tracers and evade.
So it is by far better to close up on 150m and riddle & destroy enemy aircraft with one accurate burst.

- AI does land alway try to anyway. But they are disciplined and do not land one after another on distance of 300-400m. They ask for permission and if they don't get it they make another circle over runway.

John_Reed
12-25-2005, 06:13 PM
You have to order AIs "Home to base" after having passed the last waypoint at least, then they will land properly. Otherwise they mostly crash when trying to keep your level after you've landed.

Tally ho!

John

Skycat_2
12-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Regarding expansions and addons, we'll disregard the official expansions to Forgotten Battles (Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters) that add new planes and DGen 'dynamic' campaigns. That leaves a multitude of unofficial or partially supported addons like The Last Days, Fall Blau, Operation Barbarossa, Battle Over Europe, Combat Over Europe, etc. What do they do, you ask?

Most addons are simply a package of scripted missions tied together into campaigns and may have custom skins included on the disc. Scripted campaigns aren't neccessarily bad; authors may spend hundreds of hours researching historical campaigns, carefully placing objects in the Full Mission Builder, and writing thorough misison briefings. Custom missions offer greater opportunity for creativity and for historical accuracy than randomly plotted dynamic campaigns; I've seen some great use of cinemas between missions for example, and I've played custom campaigns that force you to switch planes mid-way or fly over different maps. One of the original add-ons, "Operation Barbarossa" for IL-2 Sturmovik, started you out with easy missions like landing at your new base or strafing caputured vehicles to 'train you.' The inclusion of historic custom skins by some addons give a fresh feel to their campaigns. Finally, some addon developers like to include PDF files or other materials that act as training documents or historic background to the campaigns -- "Combat Over Europe" comes to my mind.

Some addons are 'dynamic' like the stock campaigns in FB. DGen campaigns track specific kill types (including date and location) whereas scripted campaigns generally just count the overall number of planes shot down and total vehicles destroyed. I know for certain that "Battle Over Europe" is more DGen and NGen (online) campaigns by Starshoy, the creator of the DGen program that is used in FB, AEP and PF; basically, BOE is the missing DGen campaigns for the Normandy and Ardennes maps (those maps were created for BOE by the authors but were included into FB via official patch which required 1C:MG's cooperation). I believe that there are other 'dynamic' campaign addons but I don't know which titles are offhand. BOE comes with about 100 custom skins for the campaigns.

So, in a nutshell the addons give your more missions -- sometimes dynamic but typically scripted -- and usually some custom skins. They may also include training materials and perhaps other files like speech files or new splash screens. They may also include official patches on the CD-ROM. They do not, however, include exclusive, completely new aircraft or maps.

The exact nature of the 'for Russian market only' addons or expansions that Oleg says will have new planes is unclear to me. Are some of these 1C:MG projects or partnerships? Even Oleg is uncertain if or how the material will be offered to the Western market. Anyway, that might be the only exception to the 'they're missions and skins only' rule that generally applies to non-official addons.

As for the icons, I still use them in campaigns because my ability to discern planes at a distance isn't very good. I feel that in real life you'd be better able to see and recognize planes than you can on a computer monitor, but I have no way to back that up. It would be great if there was a less obtrusive icon like maybe a simple colored dot that would only appear if you were within a certain range of another plane. I've been trying to break out of the habit though with no icons in QMB and single missions.

Udidtoo
12-26-2005, 12:16 AM
dieg777 explains how to set up your icons to suit your own tastes. Range , color,amount of info, its all adjustable.

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/config_guide.htm

Scroll down until you see [game] iconTypes=3

He even shows you an example of the command syntax to try out in the console. If your not familiar with the console open it in game with shift + tab. Capitals and spacing must be exact.