PDA

View Full Version : searching for ship strategy? Questions

edward5000
07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Not from how the game is built, but in world war 2, what was the best strategy to hunt down enemy ships. Like how do you find those c2 cargo ships? Here are some questions i have if someone can answer them.

What speed is best to do a search pattern?

What speed is the most efficent to use when traveling long distances?

Do you ever stop the u-boat completly and just wait? This would good for those class IIA baots with very limited range.

When you those red ships on the navagation map that were radioed in. Do you run a search pattern where you expect it to go? What kind of search pattern is best for finding them?

Is it always best to attack single ships from periscope depth?

edward5000
07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Not from how the game is built, but in world war 2, what was the best strategy to hunt down enemy ships. Like how do you find those c2 cargo ships? Here are some questions i have if someone can answer them.

What speed is best to do a search pattern?

What speed is the most efficent to use when traveling long distances?

Do you ever stop the u-boat completly and just wait? This would good for those class IIA baots with very limited range.

When you those red ships on the navagation map that were radioed in. Do you run a search pattern where you expect it to go? What kind of search pattern is best for finding them?

Is it always best to attack single ships from periscope depth?

Celeon999
07-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Try to hunt ships on the travel routes shown on the map.

You should determine the speed by taking your fuel reserves into account. This means dont travel on ahead full all the time, thats not necessary.

Yes you can stop the boat along a convoy route and wait but it usually doesnt help that much. Its better cruise along the route at slow speed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Do you run a search pattern where you expect it to go? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Look how far away the contact is from you, if its pretty close, check the reported speed and heading of the contact and try to intercept it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is it always best to attack single ships from periscope depth? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At daylight yes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Its always better to attack submerged when it is possible. When the enemy ships spots you it starts making evasive manouvers making it very hard to torpedo it.

Hope this helps you.

Maverick_U2007
07-17-2007, 12:02 PM
You asked a lot of questions there and all can be answered in details in the Community Manual

Community Manual website
there is a link to it in the Community help as a sticky posted by Viking Grandad. That is where I go for all my help.

As for finding ships to attack try going to 30 metres in depth and let your sonarman (or yourself) do a sweep...you will be amazed what turns up.

Look at the Community Manula though tells you loads of good stuff!

Good Hunting

Subject_rod
07-17-2007, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edward5000:
What speed is best... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would say submerged is more effective than speed! Try calculate the area you cover while cruising and then compare it with the area you cover submerged...

Realjambo
07-17-2007, 01:51 PM
edward5000, welcome to the forum. You ask a good and valid question - we could be here all night discussing this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif - which is no bad thing.

Did you find the Community Manual? It's here (http://www.mysh3.info/shiii/index.php/Main_Page) if you didn't.

hueywolf123
07-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Hunting ships for them would have relied on radio intercepts, and sheer good luck.
The spanner in the works was air cover, destroyers, armed merchantmen, bad weather, zig zagging convoys, etc etc.
As I hear people talk about the 'scourge' of the u-boats, how evil they were - I never hear any understanding of just how hard these guys had it nor how much skill it actually took to 'aim' the fish

edward5000
07-18-2007, 11:28 AM
OK I read that manual and very useful, but it didn't answer a couple of questions.

WHen trying to intercept ships, or when searching for ships is it more effective to submerge and use your hydrophones or to stay surfaced and manually search with watchmen?

Realjambo
07-18-2007, 12:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">is it more effective to submerge and use your hydrophones or to stay surfaced and manually search with watchmen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, one point of view is to consider is bad weather where visibility is poor - and there is plenty of that in the Atlantic!

In bad weather hydrophones will work better than the 'Mk 1 Human Eyeball'.

In any weather, a common practice is to regularly dive to make hydrophone checks as you transit along your chosen course.

When you get a hydrophone contact, mark it on your map with your pencil, several times and you can establish it's rough heading and course in relation to your Uboat by drawing a line using the ruler through these points you have marked.

Then you adjust your own course to intercept, based on the speed of the contact and your own (ideally getting ahead of, and at 90 degrees to your intended target).

That said, you may have to surface to gain enough speed to get ahead of it and get into an ideal firing position. You can always surface, sprint and then dive again when it gets nearer so you aren't spotted, and of course you will maintain the hydrophone contact that way.

Hydrophones will have a far greater range than your watchmen. If you surfaced and a vessel is spotted, it might just be too close or too fast for you to be able to get into that ideal firing position.

I hope that helps! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

edward5000
07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Yes very helpful, that has made me find a lot more ships by diving every so often and using my hydrophones.

Have you noticed any difference by changing depth when using hydrophones? Or will perescope depth be enough?

ALso how can you tell how deep the sea floor is to determine how deep you can dive?

Scape_G
07-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Thermal layers effect range. Get below 30M. Best results are at 50M and 70M. Crash dive takes you to 50...

Your navigational officer can tell you depth under keel. It is listed under 'reports'.