PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to put a new video card in my computer?

slo_1_2_3
08-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Is it something I buy and just plug in where the other was ? Is it something I need to be a professional computer technician to do?
I'm kinda wondering cause I'd like to beef this computer up instead of getting another, cause those new ones are expensive,but since I mention new computers,how hard is it to just build your own?And finally ,do I ask too many questions?

slo_1_2_3
08-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Is it something I buy and just plug in where the other was ? Is it something I need to be a professional computer technician to do?
I'm kinda wondering cause I'd like to beef this computer up instead of getting another, cause those new ones are expensive,but since I mention new computers,how hard is it to just build your own?And finally ,do I ask too many questions?

VW-IceFire
08-07-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't think its that hard.

Open up the case, unscrew the one screw that is probably holding your current cards back plate onto the case, remove the card, put the new card in with firm but gentle pressure, put the screw on, plug in extra power connectors if required and go.

Yeah thats just a bit of a conscious stream. Just do a couple of Google searches for tutorials. Its not rocket science, it does require a certain level of knowledge but I wouldn't consider it a high one. Just read the instructions and you'll be fine. Make sure that the card will fit in your machine and that you have all the necessary requirements.

horseback
08-07-2007, 11:01 PM
I've done it several times, and I found it easy. The hard part is selecting the right card for your system.

First, does your computer already have a video card, or is it running on an "integrated" video processor with shared video RAM?

Does it have a dedicated videocard slot? If so, is it new AGP (8X), old AGP (4X), or latest & greatest PCIE (16X) interface?

If you have no videocard slot, you're stuck with basic PCI (1X), which will probably still be an improvement over most integrated video and shared RAM on your motherboard.

And no, there is no such thing as asking too many questions when you're dealing with expensive electronics and electrical potentials that can kill you or cost you a boatload of cash if mishandled.

As a simple mechanical process, changing or installing a videocard is relatively simple, if you know what you are doing. I completed over a year of US Navy Electronics Technician training over 31 years ago, and I've worked in the field ever since. I take a lot of things for granted that you might have no clue about.

Rule 1: Have a clear idea about what you're about to do. For example if you're replacing an AGP or PCIE card, there's a mechanical latch on the back edge of the plug that you have to unlatch or risk ruining your videocard and the plug.

Rule 2: Have the right tool. Most cases use a Philips type screw to anchor the covers and card edges. A number 2 Philips screwdriver with a good tip is a beautiful thing.

Rule 3: Be careful. Too much force breaks things. Too little force won't get the job done.

Rule 4: Look up Electrostatic Shock Damage (ESD). Have an ESD bag to put the old card, if there is one, into (backup parts are good things), and consider investing in an ESD wrist strap to wear while you do the installation.

cheers

horseback

knightflyte
08-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Another thing. When removing your old card BE VERY careful of retaining clips. They're hard to reach at the very back edge of the AGP/PCIe slot.

It's not a big deal if you know it's there. But don't try to pull or yank the card out without making sure you unfasten the clip. You could damage either the card... or worse..... the motherboard.

zardozid
08-07-2007, 11:51 PM
all of the above...

take your time. Don't force anything...if your having problems take a breath and re-evaluate the situation.

ONE last thing... <span class="ev_code_RED">UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER</span> , and let it sit <span class="ev_code_RED">UNPLUGGED</span> for a half an hour. Don't stick your screwdriver in the power supply!

p.s. Next to getting laided or fixing your own car up-grading your computer is the best thing you can do for your ego...(you will be strutting around the house for the rest of the day...LOL) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Esel1964
08-08-2007, 12:00 AM
As stated earlier,as long as it fits your rig,the mechanical installation is a 5-10 min.deal.
I often find the 'nerve-wracking' part is the software installation.

Good luck,M8! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

tagTaken2
08-08-2007, 12:38 AM
What horseback said.

Especially Rule. 4

NAFP_supah
08-08-2007, 04:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Esel1964:

I often find the 'nerve-wracking' part is the software installation.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And even that is quite easy most of the time. This is one of the more doable things as far as computer maintenance is concerned. Building a new PC from parts isn't too hard either, you just need to be aware of a few stumbling blocks and you need to make sure all parts fit on your new motherboard, Processor slot ... memory type ... videocard connector and ofcourse IDE or S-ATA Hard discs. But once you take a compartementalised approach it's quite easy. In the end it's all just plugging parts on your motherboard http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif a few general tips:

1. Exclude pet's from the room you are doing any maintenance in.

2. To remove any static charge from your person you may have built up touch a appliance that is earthed or touch a radiator of your central heating.

3. Never use a screwdriver with a magnetic tip and be carefull not to slip inside the case and damage your motherboard.

4. Don't worry too much and don't be scared, it's really just plugging things into your motherboard, the things are designed to be installed like this. Millions of people have done it before you, me included (and I am not natures brightest light) and most of the time it works just fine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
08-08-2007, 04:05 AM
It`s easy!

Just make sure you choose a compatible card PCI pr PCIe, follow the instructions. Don`t shove or push, be gentle and don`t cut off any wires to make it fit!

DrHerb
08-08-2007, 10:42 AM
To save on electric shock risks, I always unplug my powersupply from the wall, then hit the on/off switch on my pc, the fans spin for less then a second but at least you know the residual power is gone

Eldude95
08-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I killed my first computor doing this. Then I killed my next one from over use.Anyone else had this happen to them?

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I always uninstall the display drivers first, THEN I turn off my pc, unplug everything, open the case, take out the old card, put in the new card (obviously being careful of static and excessive pressure as previously advised), plug everything back in and boot.

During boot it'll ask for the option to install the disc...i always say no because i've already gone to the manufacturers website and DL'd the latest drivers. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dive in mate, it's fun.

TB

ZappaTime
08-08-2007, 02:33 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
Well said, that's the sensible way TgD Thunderbolt56, particularly regarding display drivers. www.guru3D.com (http://www.guru3D.com) may be a good source of info, reviews and of course, loads of the latest drivers and advice on how good they are.

zardozid
08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
When I changed GPU from ATI to Nvidia I was careful to remove the old (ATI) drivers before installing the new Nvidia drivers...And then, when I switched Nvidia drivers from the "stock" "approved" driver to the NGO optimized (IMO the best) driver, someone told me to try the "Nvidia **** program remover" because I might not have removed all of the old Nvidia files...I then re-installed the new NGO driver and my computer DID run better...

I guess what I'm saying is remove ALL of the old drivers...

AND try the NGO drivers... BEST DRivers (http://www.ngohq.com/)