PDA

View Full Version : difference of USN and USMC?

WildeSau
12-13-2004, 04:26 AM
hi all,

I am living in Switzerland - so a country without any access to the sea. Therefore I don't know much about navys and naval forces.

Something I have asked me forever is the exact difference between the US Navy and the US Marine Corps.

Can someone tell me in general what the difference is and if the following statements are correct:

- the navy is having ships and aircrafts - aircrafts just operating from carriers.
- the Marine Corps is just operating planes and ground troops.

Which one is the bigger unit - the Navy or the USMC (in terms of people or soldiers)?

Thanks for updating a Swiss person in whichs country the lake of Konstanz is the biggest waters.

Michael the WildeSau

cpirrmann
12-13-2004, 05:14 AM
The USMC is a part of the Department of the U.S. Navy. You are correct that it is mostly a land component of the Navy, but they are more than that today. They started as sharp shooters on masts and fighting troops aboard ship in the days of sail as well as land contingents. Now, they do everything from brig guards to fighter pilots, and today there is much cross-over with other forces in their duties. In WWII primarily, they flew from land pases on Guadalcanal and the rest of the Solomons with carrier duty as well and they were still a component of the Navy. The Navy usually carriers greater strength in material but I'm not sure about men. Perhaps the Navy has more men in peace-time and less than the Marines during a conflict as large as WWII. Also, the Navy did have some land-based squadrons such as VF-17 flying F4U's when they were restricted from carrier duty. Also, patrol squadrons are land based. So, you see there are always exceptions, no hard and fast rules.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-13-2004, 07:23 AM
The Marine's also carry/carried the philosophy that their air contingent was primarily in defense of their ground troups whereas the Navy's air contingent was geared towards anti-shipping and air superiority over their shipping convoys.

TB

Chuck_Older
12-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Also, I am told that a Marine is proud of the fact that he is always a front line combat soldier first and foremost, while he is also, say, a pilot. Last I heard, even the helicopter pilots in the USMC wear camo covers on their helmets.

In the Navy, you won't hear a Naval Aviator claim to be a front line troop. The average US Navy sailor is not trained to be a combat soldier to the extent a US Marine is.

BSR_Dude
12-13-2004, 07:41 AM
All USMC aviators wear camoflage cover on their flight helmets as a reminder to all that their primary mission is in support of the ground troops. Additionally, all Marines are trained as riflemen. Cooks and supply personnel are marksmen first and their job is second, this is standard Corps doctrine.

Pappy Boyington was a Marine, and a hard one at that.

Maj_Death
12-13-2004, 09:00 AM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned this so far but the Marine's biggest difference between the Navy and Army is that they specialize in amphibious assaults. The army is basically land only, the navy is basically sea only and the marines are the ones who take care of the transition from sea to land. This is historically speaking though, ever sense WW2 the line between marines and regular army has become virtually non-existant. And yes they started out as ship borne infantry back in the days of sailing ships.

DuxCorvan
12-13-2004, 09:11 AM
You can try also the next test:

Approach a Marine while he's sipping beer in a bar. Put a hand on his shoulder, and gently tell him: "Hey, sailor!"

And he will turn and kindly tell you the difference... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

IV_JG51_Razor
12-13-2004, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DuxCorvan:

Approach a Marine while he's sipping beer in a bar. Put a hand on his shoulder, and gently tell him: "Hey, sailor!"

And he will turn and kindly tell you the difference... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's if you remain conscious long enough to hear it!! LOL!

Tater-SW-
12-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Dux, I thought you usually chased skirts, not sailors. <G>

tater

Chuck_Older
12-13-2004, 10:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maj_Death:
I'm suprised no one has mentioned this so far but the Marine's biggest difference between the Navy and Army is that they specialize in amphibious assaults. The army is basically land only, the navy is basically sea only and the marines are the ones who take care of the transition from sea to land. This is historically speaking though, ever sense WW2 the line between marines and regular army has become virtually non-existant. And yes they started out as ship borne infantry back in the days of sailing ships. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yes, but in WWII, who made the US amphibious assaults in the ETO? The line was blurry even then

lrrp22
12-13-2004, 10:34 AM
...or refer to them as 'Naval Infantry'- they love that, too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DuxCorvan:

And he will turn and kindly tell you the difference... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

horseback
12-13-2004, 10:35 AM
As a former US Navy sailer now working with a number of retired (and not so retired) Marines, I've developed a great appreciation of the roles of the two services.

Basically, the mission of the US Navy is sea control. The USA has always had a great national interest in free trade and passage over the sea, and our Navy is designed to protect that interest. For a contrast, you can look to the recent Soviet or German WWI and WWII navies, whose primary strategic mission was denial of the use of the sea to their enemies (and by extension, those who traded with them). Japan tried to duplicate the American capability, but their industrial base fell a bit short. In terms of personnel numbers, the Navy dwarfs the Marine Corps, for which it supplies with logistic and other (medical, dental, and chaplain personnel provide to the Marines are all Navy) support.

The US Marine Corps was originally patterned after the British Royal Marines, but have taken a more general role of extension of land power (and control) from the sea. Originally, the US Army's reach didn't extend past the North American land mass, and the Marines were America's primary means of providing expeditionary infantry almost up to the Second World War. During WWI, the Marines distinguished themselves in France as an elite infantry force, sometimes to the embarrassment of the Army, and this has led to the Army actively attempting to limit the Marine Corps'role and budget, while trying to duplicate to some degree the Marines' capabilities(I found a surprising number of former Marines in the Army while I was doing some contract work with the Army-almost every battalion, company and platoon commander in the brigade that we were working with had a former Marine as his gunner in his fighting vehicle and/or as his driver for his Humvee, and a number of the top sergeants I got to know spent their first enlistments in the Corps).

The Marines have not failed to note this, and rarely miss an opportunity to get in a dig at the Army. They take some pride in doing the same mission with fewer troops using older or cast-off equipment and limited budgets. (I've been told that the Corps' most important 'war booty' of the first Gulf War was early model M1 Abrams tanks that the Army left unattended when the M1A1s arrived-the Marines were still using 1950s-era M60A3s).

In WWII, the Marines developed the use of close air support that is unmatched by the other services, using close coordination & communication between ground and air units. Lacking the heavy artillary or tanks for eliminating dug-in enemy positions, they turned to air units that had run out of aerial opposition by late 1943-early 1944 in the Pacific (and frankly, the Navy Air types were a little peeved at all the glory the Marines had obtained in the Solomons, and were disinclined to allow further air superiority opportunities for the guys who already had the snappiest dress uniforms without resorting to hogging all the medals and ribbons). With few exceptions, this emphasis in Marine Air has continued to this day.

The Marines fly the same aircraft as the Navy (with the exception of the Harrier), have the ability & training to fly off of carriers, but are usually short term residents of the carrier until land based accomodations can be obtained from the 'earth brothers.' They then take up residence dirtside, and set up their own independent air control and defense systems, allowing the Navy to get its' ships and aircraft out of range of land based enemies and manuever, making the best use of their striking power (and limit the pilferage of their ice cream supplies by commuting jarheads).

cheers

horseback

Chuck_Older
12-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Oh, yes, the USMC makes do with less than stellar stuff.

An Osprey program is still haunting the corridors at my job. God, can't they make that leatherneck killer go away??I wouldn't touch that project with a ten foot pole, my conscience wouldn't let me

horseback
12-13-2004, 10:55 AM
The Osprey is supposed to be the best solution to the range and speed limitations of the heavy helo. Since the Corps has committed to it, there's been no other funding for new heavy lift, long range vertical lift systems, a requirement for modern amphibious ops.

Myself, I can't understand why they didn't get the F-18L non-carrier, or occasional carrier use lightened Hornet. I suspect that it was because it would be more Air to Air capable than the the standard Navy Hornet, with more range and payload to boot, from Northrup (politics-Northrup has had problems with the Defense Dept since the late 1940s -hence the shotgun wedding with McDonnell-Douglas for the original Hornet contract back in the '80s).

cheers

horseback

MG08x15
12-13-2004, 12:05 PM
In WW2 the USMC was about 7% of the size of the US Army. During Korea the Marine Corps was about 10-15% of the Army, and the Corps was fixed at 3-Divisions. During Vietnam the Corps was about 20% of ground forces. Since Vietnam the Corps has stayed, fixed by law, at 3-divisions while the Army shrank to about 10-divisions (33-brigades). The Corps today is about 30% of US ground forces. The US, as a historical curiosity, is maintaining two duplicate armies. The Corps has not performed its primary amphibious function since Inchon, 54-years ago. This is accepted due to the prestige, history, and political clout of the USMC. It has little to do with cost, operational needs, or combat efficiency.

VMF223_Smitty
12-13-2004, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MG08x15:
The Corps has not performed its primary amphibious function since Inchon, 54-years ago. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse me ?

Amphibious Operations since the Korean war.
In July 1958, a brigade-size force landed in Lebanon to restore order there. During the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962, a large amphibious force was marshaled but not landed. In April 1965, a brigade of Marines landed in the Dominican Republic to protect Americans and evacuate those who wished to leave.

The landing (amphibious at Red Beach) of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade at Da Nang in 1965 marked the beginning of large-scale Marine involvement in Vietnam. By summer 1968, after the enemy's Tet Offensive, Marine Corps strength in Vietnam rose to a peak of approximately 85,000.

From the Marine Corps Doctrine 21 Manual

As the premier expeditionary €œTotal Force in Readiness,€ the Marine Corps will be tailored to answer the Nation€s call, at home or abroad.
Opportunities and challenges in the world€s littoral regions will increase America€s reliance on the continuous forward presence and sustainable maritime power projection of Naval expeditionary forces. Those forces will promote national interests, influence vital regions, and fight and win the Nation€s battles.
The Marine Corps will enhance its strategic agility, operational reach, and tactical flexibility to enable joint, allied, and coalition operations and interagency coordination. These capabilities will provide the geographic combatant commanders with scalable, interoperable, combined-arms Marine Air-Ground Task Forces (MAGTFs) to shape the international environment, respond quickly to the complex spectrum of crises and conflicts, and gain access or prosecute forcible entry operations.
Fundamental to this vision, we will€"
Make America€s Marines to win the Nation€s battles and create quality citizens.
Optimize the Corps€ operating forces, support and sustain*ment base, and unique capabilities.
Sustain our enduring relationship with the U.S. Navy.
Reinforce our strategic partnerships with our sister Services.
Contribute to the development of joint, allied, coalition, and interagency capabilities.
Capitalize on innovation, experimentation, and technology.

The Marine Corps function, and has been for some time, is that of a Expeditionary Force. If that means amphib operations, so be it, but it is not limited to that, nor has it been for some time.

The true strength of the MEUs (Marine Expeditionary Units) lie in their ability to augment their forces with air and ground combat elements and combat service support. This means any given unit can call in tanks, amphibious assault vehicles, and fixed wing aircraft €" all of which are part of standard MEU order of battle. Other special operations forces must rely on conventional service support when additional forces are needed.
A perfect example of this versatility was in the 1983 Grenada invasion, where Army special forces were inserted to extract U.S. Embassy staff. The team was able to reach their target, but were then bottled up inside the embassy and unable to get out through enemy troops. The JSOC team then called for Marine support. An MEU which had been diverted to Grenada broke through with tanks and armored vehicles to extract their colleagues and the embassy personnel they had rescued.

US Marine (retired)

WereSnowleopard
12-13-2004, 12:49 PM
I had heard very simple and short way to explain role of USMC is "Marine is first force to arrive line and last force to leave line"

Cheers
Snowleopard

IV_JG51_Razor
12-13-2004, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't argue with the sentiment of your post Smitty, I agree with you 100%. However, I don't think I would have included the landing on Red Beach at Da Nang as an example of the Marines having been used for their intended purpose since Inchon back in '51. That was hardly an amphibious assault under combat conditions. I think Walter Cronkite met them on the beach with a cold beer in his hand. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The reality of it is, that they are READY for the time when they are ordered to fulfill their intended purpose. It's their job to be ready. The US Army is not trained for it, The Marines are. Two completely different missions. It's a shame the politicians in DC don't realize that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

x__CRASH__x
12-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Fly Navy

Semper Per Diem

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/aircraft/ep3.gif

horseback
12-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Carpe per diem! (Seize the meal money! Mileage money ain't hay, either)

cheers

horseback

VMF223_Smitty
12-13-2004, 02:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IV_JG51_Razor:
That was hardly an amphibious assault under combat conditions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say it was an amphibious assault under combat situations.
I said it was an amphibious operation. And the response was to this statement:

"he Corps has not performed its primary amphibious function since Inchon, 54-years ago."

My point in the post, which was clearly shown, is the US Marine Corps is not a static, stagnant, fighting unit that is unwilling or unable to change and evolve with modern warfare.

As for the politicians in DC:

Who gives a rat's patoot ? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Villicus
12-13-2004, 02:39 PM
The U.S. does not keep two separate armies. There is a vast difference in the role and mindset of both the Marine Corps and the Army and they compliment each other well. A Marine is not a soldier and a Army soldier is not a Marine, but both are G.I.s.

Mjollnir111675
12-13-2004, 02:44 PM
@ Villicus:

Dont be a hater cuz "The Department of the Navy" is the letterhead on ALL of yer paychex!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Marines
Always
Ride
In
Navy
Equipment!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

VMF223_Smitty
12-13-2004, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mjollnir111675:
@ Villicus:

Dont be a hater cuz "The Department of the Navy" is the letterhead on ALL of yer paychex!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Marines
Always
Ride
In
Navy
Equipment!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then you should feel honored. We chose you as our coolie boys, squid. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/annisall/images/Harrier_3.jpg

VMA-223 at sunset

BSR_Dude
12-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Let's not forget the passing comment made by horseback: The Marines have by far the best looking uniform. When I was a kid I wanted to be a Marine (my gramps was a mustang), and the uniform was a big part of that.

BSS_Vidar
12-13-2004, 04:30 PM
In 1991, the Marines were also poised to land in Kuwait in a massive amphib landing. The Iraqies were expecting such a landing, so they massed their trops at the beach. The landing never took place; therefore, allowing "Stormin' Norman" to do an end-around and pen their ears back with nowhere to go.

Operation Dessert Sheild/Storm vet.(USN Ret) Flew from the John F. Kennedy in the Red Sea.

DuxCorvan
12-13-2004, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by horseback:
Carpe per diem! (Seize the meal money! Mileage money ain't hay, either) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehem... Carpe diem. "Profit the day". Quintus Horatius Flaccus: Od¦ seu Carmina XI.

The per is not there. (End of Latin lesson). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tater-SW-
12-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Per diem is reimbursement your employer pays you for tarvel costs, dux, it was a joke http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Might have to be American to get it.

tater

dadiceman
12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
The Marines are a Department of the Navy...
The men's department!!!
SEMPER FI!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mjollnir111675:
@ Villicus:

Marines
Always
Ride
In
Navy
Equipment!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mjollnir111675
12-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey!!
All I can say is we haven't lost a gate yet!!
Y'all sher do hold one serious gate leading anywhere that I ever woiked @!
But seriously from one "SQUID" to a "Jarhead":

We shur do beat tha hell outta anything the army/a.f. have ta offer!!! From da big gun's to the best planes!!!The best testament to it all is that if we(U.S.N./U.S.M.C.) hadda go it alone we could and ne'er ask fer help... that is PERIOD!!!

macd1102
12-13-2004, 07:18 PM
from one sailor to another, i agree

copef1
12-13-2004, 07:26 PM
We have a saying in the Army, it goes like this:

"Shoot straight for once you Navy pukes." http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Seriously though, when my father was a Lt. Colonel in the Army, he had to go pick up two soldiers that were thrown in a Marine Brig. He said the cell where they were holding the men was so clean you could eat your dinner off the urinal. He also said he had never seen two army soldiers so happy to see a Lt. Colonel in his life. Those boys couldn't wait to leave.

Villicus
12-13-2004, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BSS_Vidar:
In 1991, the Marines were also poised to land in Kuwait in a massive amphib landing. The Iraqies were expecting such a landing, so they massed their trops at the beach. The landing never took place; therefore, allowing "Stormin' Norman" to do an end-around and pen their ears back with nowhere to go.

I was in the 5th MEB which was part of that big
"fake out". We even went so far as to practice the amphib assault in Oman beforehand with media from all over the world watching to complete the deception. Hauling tail through minefilled water was not that fun though. They were still watching the surf when we smacked the hell out of them from the south and the army started spanking them from the west. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

DuxCorvan
12-14-2004, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
_Per diem_ is reimbursement your employer pays you for tarvel costs, dux, it was a joke http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Might have to be American to get it.

tater <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, OK! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

We call it a dieta. I didn't know it. Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Tater-SW-
12-14-2004, 08:55 AM
De nada.

tater

macd1102
12-14-2004, 11:05 AM
in the navy our saying is, no sailor is expendible, i deploy with a 100, im expected to return with the same, whats the exceptable loss for the army

VMF-214_Pappy
12-14-2004, 02:31 PM
I am a 8 year Marine rifleman vetran.

Marines are the smallest service in the US military with about 177,000 active duty members in 3 Divisions, 3 AirWings, and 3 Service Support groups. There is a 4th Marine division which is a reserve component. At the height of WW2 there the Corps balloned to almost 500,000 Marines. The Security Act of 1950 Estbalish permanetly 3 Active Duty Marine Division's and One reserve, with support componets. Yes Marines started out on Navy ships as sharpshooters. Today Marines are not stationed on ships any more, Navy takes care of there own security. Marines are deployed on ships now.

Marines are the pioneers of Close Air Support. Unlike the Us Army who does not own fixed wing aircraft and relies on USAF for close Air Support, Marines prefer to have there own leather necks covering them from above. Todays Marine Corps flys F18A hornest and AV-8b's The Famous VMF-214 is now the VMA-214 and flys Harriers. F is fighter and A is attack aircraft.

Marines are also known for there higher standards and discpline than other Us military services. Marine Basic training is now 13 weeks, which US army is only 8 weeks. Every Marine is a rifleman is the Crops's etho's. Every Marine from the admin clerk to the truck driver is trained as a basic rifleman before they continue on to there MOS school.

Marines have a great tradition and a reputation as the worlds greatest warriors. Marines dont leave Marines behind. Once a Marine always a Marine. Always faithful. These are guidlines that every Marine is taught and lives. I served my 8 years and left the Marine Corps. Yes at times I regret it and miss it very much. My Brother-in-Law is on his second tour to Iraq and a Marine Mortar Man. He was involved in the battle of Fallujah. In the Past 3 days 10 of my brothers in arms have died. I wish to thank all Marines past and present and there families for there sacrafices for our great country.

I hope the Corps continues to prove to the world why the are the greatest warriors this earth.

Marines in the Chosin Resevoir The 1st Marine Division was surrounded by 12 Chinese Division's. Colonel Chesty Puller's (5 time Navy Cross winner) respones was, "That simplifies our problem, we can attack in any direction now" The Marines fought there way south and boarded ships to Pusan while destorying 10 Chinese Divisions. The F4U Corsair had much to do with there success. The Corsair was a outstanding Close Airsupport Aircraft being able to carry more ordance than the venerable P-47. The Hog saw service all the way too Vietnam.

Semper Fi Marines.

VMF-214_Pappy
12-14-2004, 02:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Also, I am told that a Marine is proud of the fact that he is always a front line combat soldier first and foremost, while he is also, say, a pilot. Last I heard, even the helicopter pilots in the USMC wear camo covers on their helmets.

In the Navy, you won't hear a Naval Aviator claim to be a front line troop. The average US Navy sailor is not trained to be a combat soldier to the extent a US Marine is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check you said he always is a front line combat solider, i am offended being a former marine. Marines dont consider themselves soldiers they consider themselves Marines.

VMF-214_Pappy
12-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Dont forget the Marines are a force in readiness. America's 911. When is absoulutely needs to be destoryed over night call the Marines.

Viking-S
12-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Drifting away from question and topic! Reported to moderators. Lock before getting nasty.

BSR_Dude
12-14-2004, 03:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VMF-214_Pappy:
Marines in the Chosin Resevoir The 1st Marine Division was surrounded by 12 Chinese Division's. Colonel Chesty Puller's (5 time Navy Cross winner) respones was, "That simplifies our problem, we can attack in any direction now" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Grandpa served under Chesty. He stated that Chesty had a set of brass ones. Gramps also respected the heck out of him.

VMF223_Smitty
12-14-2004, 04:28 PM
I think the following story and images tell the story plain enough.

Here is a little known fact. At the Vietnam War Memorial (The Wall) sets a flag pole and at it's base are the seals of all the services: Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Every day throughout the entire year a group from Marine Barracks, Eight & I, Washington, D. C. march to the flag and polish the Marine Corps Emblem.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/annisall/images/Marines_1.bmp

Sadly, the other services have NEVER touched theirs."

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/annisall/images/Marines_2.bmp

This is the Marine Corps difference. Many other servicemen in the other branches of the military take great pride in their Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force service.

The Marines are the personification of Pride, Honor and Pariotism. Call us jarheads, leathernecks, sea-going bellhops or what have you, but the record speaks for itself.

Semper Fidelis - ALWAYS Faithful

United States Marine 1968-1972

Villicus
12-14-2004, 06:40 PM
OOORAAHH!!!! Ditto Dat Devil Dog http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

VMF-214_Pappy
12-14-2004, 06:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viking-S:
Drifting away from question and topic! Reported to moderators. Lock before getting nasty. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is it drifting, look at my post, most of us are not flaming, Man relax a little viking

VMF223_Smitty
12-14-2004, 07:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Villicus:
OOORAAHH!!!! Ditto Dat Devil Dog http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, and by the way - There isn't a thing wrong with the United States Navy.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/annisall/images/haroldww2.jpg

This is a picture of my Dad, veteran of World War Two, served aboard the USS Eldorado, wounded in action during a kamikaze attack at Okinowa, awarded the Navy Cross and the Purple Heart. The NC was awarded for action that saved two shipmates at the risk of his own life.

Salute

My son is a PO3 on active duty Navy aboard the USS Nimitz and a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Anybody bad mouths the Navy in front of this Marine, gets taken apart from the top down. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Fenris459
12-14-2004, 07:46 PM
From the Halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli,
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea.
First to fight for right and freedom,
And to keep our honor clean,
We are proud to claim the title
Of United States Marine.

Our flag's unfurl'd to every breeze
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun
In the snow of far off northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes
You will find us always on the job
The United States Marines

Here's health to you and to our Corps which we are pround to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on heavens scenes
They will find the streets are gaurded
BY UNITED STATES MARINES !!

Says it all right there

Semper Fi !

VMF223_Smitty
12-14-2004, 08:10 PM
By the way all you Leathernecks. Don't forget to support the new National Museum of the Marine Corps and Heritage Center that is going up in Washington DC.

Visit this site for information on how you can help and how you, as an active duty or former Marine can have your name listed on the Heritage Wall

National Museum of the Marine Corps (http://204.2.118.231/store/mchf/index.asp)

OOORAAHH !

BSR_Dude
12-14-2004, 08:14 PM
That was something I didn't know Smitty. It's good to see that they're still keeping up the tradition of doing things right.

VMF223_Smitty
12-14-2004, 08:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSR_Dude:
That was something I didn't know Smitty. It's good to see that they're still keeping up the tradition of doing things right. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif ALWAYS Faithful