PDA

View Full Version : Dear Micro$quash: CAN I USE MY COMPUTER NOW?!?!

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Hello Micro$quash. I have again genuflected at the altar of the new OS, because you presented me scant options

I have small request to make of you, however:

When you're done using my PC, can I use it for a little while? Because I paid for it, you know. remember me? The guy with the cash?

When I first hooked up this machine, I exorcised many Vista features that were needless gimmicky doo-dads. But I also improved the PC with more memory and more video card. I had planned those things

What I hadn't planned on was your insistence on the constant updates to Vista that you perpetually put on my machine at the cost of my system performance and my peace and quiet

Even now, the 'busy' light is blinking, and the oh-so pleasant noises of writing are taking palce. Again. Last night, it was 7 updates, and it took 12,000K of memory to do that. It took half an hour, and then it took 20 minutes to install, when I powered down.

Then this afternoon, it took 20 minutes to initialise the 7 updates. I had wanted to just play a little chess. But the damn noise irritated me so much I stopped and did the dishes instead

Now, I know you want to update things to make it better for me. But so far, my standard memory usage with my RAM has gone from 19% to 22% to 24%, all with the same amount of RAM...and it's jumped again after the last round of "needed updates"

Well, I am at a loss, because sometimes I like to use my PC, too. And some things I do require some peace and quiet, or maybe oh, ALL my system resources. I mean, if that's OK with you, that is

I'm flattered that you like my PC so much you are constantly using it. But can I use it for a while now? The busy light is still on, and the noise is so maddening. I'd like to beat the PC at chess today sometime. Just let me know when it's convenient for you to stop f*ing with my PC, and I'll use it after

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Hello Micro$quash. I have again genuflected at the altar of the new OS, because you presented me scant options

When you're done using my PC, can I use it for a little while? Because I paid for it, you know. remember me? The guy with the cash?

When I first hooked up this machine, I exorcised many Vista features that were needless gimmicky doo-dads. But I also improved the PC with more memory and more video card. I had planned those things

What I hadn't planned on was your insistence on the constant updates to Vista that you perpetually put on my machine at the cost of my system performance and my peace and quiet

Even now, the 'busy' light is blinking, and the oh-so pleasant noises of writing are taking palce. Again. Last night, it was 7 updates, and it took 12,000K of memory to do that. It took half an hour, and then it took 20 minutes to install, when I powered down.

Then this afternoon, it took 20 minutes to initialise the 7 updates. I had wanted to just play a little chess. But the damn noise irritated me so much I stopped and did the dishes instead

Now, I know you want to update things to make it better for me. But so far, my standard memory usage with my RAM has gone from 19% to 22% to 24%, all with the same amount of RAM...and it's jumped again after the last round of "needed updates"

Well, I am at a loss, because sometimes I like to use my PC, too. And some things I do require some peace and quiet, or maybe oh, ALL my system resources. I mean, if that's OK with you, that is

I'm flattered that you like my PC so much you are constantly using it. But can I use it for a while now? The busy light is still on, and the noise is so maddening. I'd like to beat the PC at chess today sometime. Just let me know when it's convenient for you to stop f*ing with my PC, and I'll use it after

smokincrater
10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes they do like to jam things with stuff you don`t really need. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

msalama
10-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, eh.. just UPGRADE BACK to WinXP if you can is my advice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VW-IceFire
10-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Loud hard drive may be a case of the bearings starting to wear down. Most of the newer drives, particularly from Seatgate, feature noise dampening materials that keep them nearly silent.

Still doesn't excuse the work the computer is doing all the time. Mines busy right now doing the same thing. Fortunately only a faint noise and a blue LED light are the only things indicating that something is happening.

Vista needs a tune up to get it really back to what we've expected with Windows XP. Its way behind Linux now in terms of how fast the system responds. The thing is that everyone blames the glitz and fancy interface for all of this but I think its more fundamental than that...something in the core of the plumbing is the real problem. Graphical 3D accelerated interfaces have been available for MAC OS X since 2002 or around there and Linux runs perfectly fine with no huge memory hogging with Compiz and Beryl and the like.

Thing is I LIKE Vista and can't see myself going back to Windows XP and its fisher price interface and ancient featureset.

mbfRoy
10-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Have you tried to defrag the HDD? Yep, that's also going to make noise, but maybe it'll make things better afterwards!

B16Enk
10-10-2007, 04:11 PM
What an excellent post.

I stopped using Vista, largely because I reformatted and lost the boot option.

I found the seemingly never ending cycle of updates download, must install whilst you shut your PC down, and then the 10+ minutes of waiting to use my PC the next morning while the updates were initialised, utterly frustrating too when all I wanted to do was check my email.

Except it appeared that I had a corrupt Windows Update, it was (when I finally looked into it) cylcing through the same updates every other day or so.
Forgot to tell me it was failing, I had to dig...

OT, but I had to turn off images to post this reply, someone has PhotoBucket (so easy to rename that) to host their Avatar/sig pic.
Some appeared, but one was resolute in it's shyness, or it was busy waiting for it's Vista PC to finish a reboot after essential life enhancing, security hardening and human disenchanting patches were applied....if I had left the images showing I could still be waiting to post when BBB462cid was finally able to play chess in silence http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Ok, learn the OS before you start bashing it. That writing to the harddrvie is the indexing and restore features, they can be turned off. Go here: www.blackviper.com (http://www.blackviper.com) and look up the vista supertweaks, you will be happy with the difference. As for the memory usage, vista uses memory differently than other MS OSs, it precaches certain things so it looks like it's using a lot more ram than xp but the instant that that ram is need it's released, so it's never as bad as it looks. And I can't beleive the nerve it takes to complain about MS updating the OS, "oh it's crappy and slow and theres bugs" one minute and then "oh I can't stand how I gotta download these bug fixes and performance fixes", WTF?! Run the blackviper tweaks, make sure it's not like B16Enk said and ms update is screwed up, go to microsoft.com and download the perfomance and reliability updates that aren't available through ms update, and quite yer bi!#ing. /end rant

Sorry if thats out of line but this vista bashing is really getting on my nerves, vista is already at a stage far superior to XP SP2 before the first SP is even out. There is absolutely no legit reason to bash vista other than M$ is an easy target and people are afraid of change.

triad773
10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Every time I get fed up with MS I toy with the idea of going 100% Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com)

But I too am in the grips of the evil empire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Mac OS with Bootcamp is great but the hardware is too much for my budget http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Justa thought

crazyivan1970
10-10-2007, 04:57 PM
You got my attention now.... what is so superior?

Divine-Wind
10-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I am sitting here happily using XP. Our new computer has Vista on it, and whilst it looks pretty and slick, I am too attached to my old games to give them a flick.

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Ivan, check out this thread http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/2811070395 , Icefire and myself do a half decent job of explaining. Divine-Wind, what games don't work on vista?

JG52Uther
10-10-2007, 05:03 PM
JG52Uther=happy XP luddite!
I will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to vista.

mortoma
10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Reformat, install WinXP. Problem solved, you're done!! Use you Vista disk to play frisbee with your dog.

mbfRoy
10-10-2007, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Sorry if thats out of line but this vista bashing is really getting on my nerves, vista is already at a stage far superior to XP SP2 before the first SP is even out. There is absolutely no legit reason to bash vista other than M$ is an easy target and people are afraid of change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with you. Some people are forgetting (or are not informed at all) that Vista is supposed to be a new "step", it's not a reskin of Windows 2000 with "neat media features"(heh!) as WXP was, but actually an OS that's supposed to scale better over time. Right now it might be slower than XP with some games (hey! just like XP compared to Win98 when it came out!) but in the long run it's supposed to be able to give better bang.

It's also a SAFE os, MS has done their homework at last, or so it seems! In fact that's the strongest point it's supposed to have right now... It may be damn annoying to have a pop up window every time you do ANYTHING (yep, it IS annoying) but considering the amount of different users that are going to be using it it's not a bad system at all. After all, you can disable it easily.

And last but not least, it comes with a scoring system. To me, scoring 5 means that you've got the absolute MINIMUM to get it running "perfectly", anything below it is going to have a negative impact on performance obviously.

People must keep in mind that this OS is supposed to last a few years... in just 3 years the fastest PC around is going to run it FAST.

As for the loading times... well, that's up to the hard disk drive, RAID setups can reduce writting times significantly.

Cliffnotes: same whinning as when XP was released in terms of performance, although the difference this time is that XP is already a very stable OS. Pretty much the same whinning as when Apple launched OS X although Vista does have some backwards compatibility

mortoma
10-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Vista may be a "safe" OS but if you use the right third-party software, XP is also "safe". People simply are not having any trouble with XP. So for this reason, many are resisting the impulse to jump on the bandwagon simply because it's the latest and greatest. Wait a minute! Is it really the greatest though?? I see no reason, not one, to switch to Vista at this time. XP is awesome if you know how to use it.

Another facet of this whole shebang is that not only does XP do everything well, but many are dreading the hours of learning a whole new OS when they don't need to. At least not yet. If you stick with XP you have no learning curve to deal with, easy peasy!!

Wepps
10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I see you upgraded from a Yak-7 to an I-15bis.

BaldieJr
10-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Vista is the bullet Microsoft fired at its own foot.

neural_dream
10-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Grow up. A bunch of old farts whining for an OS instead of cheating on their wives. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

mbfRoy
10-10-2007, 06:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
I see no reason, not one, to switch to Vista at this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me neither! But simply because I have never had any security issues with XP, and I've done some research when needed to make sure everything was still running as expected. I know LOTS of people though that a) cannot be bothered to read ANYTHING related to computers b) Are not sensible at all when surfing c) Cannot tell a difference between a suspicious e-mail and a dead crab. In my experience, those are a majority, and the solution they are usually offered (AV programs) is worse than Vista.

Divine-Wind
10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wepps:
I see you upgraded from a Yak-7 to an I-15bis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They have the bis model out? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

fabianfred
10-10-2007, 08:57 PM
http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista

JG6_Oddball
10-10-2007, 09:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Ok, learn the OS before you start bashing it. That writing to the harddrvie is the indexing and restore features, they can be turned off. Go here: www.blackviper.com (http://www.blackviper.com) and look up the vista supertweaks, you will be happy with the difference. As for the memory usage, vista uses memory differently than other MS OSs, it precaches certain things so it looks like it's using a lot more ram than xp but the instant that that ram is need it's released, so it's never as bad as it looks. And I can't beleive the nerve it takes to complain about MS updating the OS, "oh it's crappy and slow and theres bugs" one minute and then "oh I can't stand how I gotta download these bug fixes and performance fixes", WTF?! Run the blackviper tweaks, make sure it's not like B16Enk said and ms update is screwed up, go to microsoft.com and download the perfomance and reliability updates that aren't available through ms update, and quite yer bi!#ing. /end rant

Sorry if thats out of line but this vista bashing is really getting on my nerves, vista is already at a stage far superior to XP SP2 before the first SP is even out. There is absolutely no legit reason to bash vista other than M$ is an easy target and people are afraid of change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/62060,five-ways-linux-is-better-than-vista.aspx

Since you have no problem reading I would guess you have no problem trying another OS. and "learn the OS before you start bashing it" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S!

p.s Having to fish around to find how to turn off features that were not asked for in the first place is BS, I get notified by kubuntu of updates...I CHOOSE when to install them

BoCfuss
10-10-2007, 10:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fabianfred:
http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most everything in that arcticle wouldn't be an issue if there weren't so many internet thieves out there. I tend to think that the real reason people hate Vista so much is that it hasn't been "cracked" properly yet. Wich is also the reason it costs so much. Thanks thieves. I like vista just fine. When XP first came out I was working for HP. What a mess.

BaldieJr
10-11-2007, 12:16 AM
what do thieves have to do with anything? whats this guy talking about?

fabianfred
10-11-2007, 12:21 AM
as far a sI can see it...the thieves are tha big corporations...trying to force you to use the software they want...and not leave you to make your own choices

BaldieJr
10-11-2007, 02:00 AM
computational power in the hands of the people is a threat. ask china.

the best way to kill it is at its source: software.

slipBall
10-11-2007, 04:28 AM
Vista is the new Great and Powerfull Oz

Hawgdog
10-11-2007, 04:52 AM
Whos that kid on Simpsons that points and says "ha-ha"?

That kid is Microshaft.
And he's pointing at YOU Vista users!
A more scalable OS? cute
Thieves? And there will be thieves hacking whatever the technology is 200 years from now.
Some please, please tell me how XP is NOT scaleable? Its software for Gods sake.
Service pack III? huh, wha? You mean we could have had had DX10..getouttatown no way.
Vista is "faster"...how so? I've already got my counter to that so make it good.
300.00 for what? A faster animated icon that fetches my searches? It magically unloads memory faster..than what?
Oh yawn and pancakes on my head.
I cant find my quote from Bill Gates in 1999 where he said XP would likely be the final, infinitely updateable OS, just. buy. it. now.

DKoor
10-11-2007, 05:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawgdog:
I cant find my quote from Bill Gates in 1999 where he said XP would likely be the final, infinitely updateable OS, just. buy. it. now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Microsoft is da bomb. Be sure.

x6BL_Brando
10-11-2007, 06:16 AM
It was inevitable that M$ would bring on a new OS. After all, most any commercial company needs to bring on something new at regular intervals in order to generate sales. The new, heightened security system is the big hook designed to attract the average plug-in and play user as well as corporate customers; in other words, not the kind of computer-savvy individual who has an inkling of how their computer actually works.

My objections are pretty much the same as most. M$ is using its monopoly to enforce Vista use amongst new users - and stomping on the independent software manufacturers who, up until now, have provided enhanced security programs to cover the numerous holes in MS' own security solutions. No doubt there will also be software issues that prevent the use of peripheral hardware, requiring users to go out and buy new items that would otherwise continue to function in XP - in the same way that the 98 to XP shift did. The big difference, in my opinion, is that 98 really was a buggy pos, while XP remains a stable platform if correctly set up.

Are there any statisticians out there? I would be interested to know how the built-in obsolescence factor of PC OSs and peripherals compares to that of the car and motorcycle industries?

I won't be switching to Vista any time soon. DX10 is just not that appealing, and I have quite enough bloatware to be going on with without buying any more. I understand the need that M$ has to get round the large-scale piracy of XP, but I'm not about to ditch my legit (and expensive) OS just to help a billionaire corporation out of a hole.

B

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-11-2007, 09:14 AM
I don't think ANYONE should switch to vista, it wouldn't bother me a lick if no one did. What does bother me is when people say vista sucks and then give BS reasons as to why. Vista does not suck, I like vista better than I ever liked XP, haven't booted my XP partition since I installed vista. It's faster (yes it is faster for me, if you don't know how to make your vista faster than xp then sucks to be you, I'm not trying to convert anybody), more stable, and dangit it does look nice. I don't care if every single one of you never upgraded and ran XP until doomsday, just don't tell others not to try vista for BS reasons. And as for the linux links, wtf? What does linux have to do with this conversation, all I'm trying to do is dispell the anti-vista myths everyone blindly keeps spouting cause they think it makes them look smart.

Krt_Bong
10-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Vista Does Suck AND Bill Gates is an Evil Greedy Baastard and if it was so great how come the price of XP went through the roof and there are 4 versions of Vista (which ALL Suck) everyone I know that I play online with who has Vista has innumerable problems just trying to run the same progs that ran just fine in XP. You like it? fine, but you're a minority here I'm afraid.

Freelancer-1
10-11-2007, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
I am sitting here happily using XP. Our new computer has Vista on it, and whilst it looks pretty and slick, I am too attached to my old games to give them a flick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to ease up on the Dr Seuss books, dude.

They're starting to affect your posts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Cheers,

slipBall
10-11-2007, 10:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Krt_Bong:
Vista Does Suck AND Bill Gates is an Evil Greedy Baastard and if it was so great how come the price of XP went through the roof and there are 4 versions of Vista (which ALL Suck) everyone I know that I play online with who has Vista has innumerable problems just trying to run the same progs that ran just fine in XP. You like it? fine, but you're a minority here I'm afraid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to buy a new XP Pro till I saw the new price http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif.....Gates had a interesting start in the software business...he is still the same as back then

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Well, for anyone who is interested the OEM vista is only like $110.

Edit: well, there goes the last hope I ad of convincing everybody I'm not trying to get people to swithc I guess, lolz.

Sergio_101
10-11-2007, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB462cid:

I'm flattered that you like my PC so much you are constantly using it. But can I use it for a while now? The busy light is still on, and the noise is so maddening. I'd like to beat the PC at chess today sometime. Just let me know when it's convenient for you to stop f*ing with my PC, and I'll use it after </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vista is the worst crapware since Windows Me.
Actually Me is much better.
As a former Vista user I can highly recomend you purchase a copy of Win XP.

Vista looks nice, warm and fuzzy, but that's where the joy ends.

Vista is written for the lawyers.
Vista is written by a Microsoft corperation
that wants total control of your computer, and your life.

The unsolvable problems with Vista are legion.

****canning the piece of junk and installing XP
was the smartest thing I did.

Boycotting MS would be nice.
But that is nearly impossible.

Boycotting Vista is a second best.
Those ***holes that designed this POS need a dope slap.

But what we need more is a good alternative to big brother (MS).

-----------------------------------------------

But at least it's 15% slower than the same computer with Win XP..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Sergio

stalkervision
10-11-2007, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
"Loud hard drive may be a case of the bearings starting to wear down. Most of the newer drives, particularly from Seatgate, feature noise dampening materials that keep them nearly silent.

Still doesn't excuse the work the computer is doing all the time. Mines busy right now doing the same thing. Fortunately only a faint noise and a blue LED light are the only things indicating that something is happening."

&gt; Don't worry guys, it's probably just a "trogan virus" on your harddrive sending out thousands of e-mail spams at your expence is all... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Ok, learn the OS before you start bashing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, firstly, I am not bashing VISTA. I don't like the constant updates MICROSFT is sending me ALL the time, through their installation process. Do you see the difference here?! Thanks

Secondly, please do me a favor: read what I post before you bash ME. You behave as if I'm an excited little girl. You obviously missed most of what I posted. It's not Indexing or restore. How am I certain? I already turned them off months ago . Seriously now, does EVERYone on the internet have some sort of disability that prevents them from having some form of reading comprehension??

That writing to the harddrvie is the indexing and restore features, they can be turned off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bullspit.

It is the "trusted install" program. I indicate this in my post. It is not indexing, or the restore features

The process called "Trusted Install" is the cause of this, NOT indexing and NOT restore. Jesus. Did you read a speck of what I posted before you decided to put me down for not knowing anything??

How do I know It's "Trusted Install"? Well, because I looked in Task manager and saw for myself: 12,000K when running "Trusted install" and writing to the drive, 3K after the drive stops being written to, and "Trusted Install" is not running at all at other times. When the drive stops being written to, "Trusted Install" just so happens to either shut off, or go to 1/4 of it's previous usage. Now, what conclusion do YOU draw here from that data?

Right: if "Trusted Install" is running every time this happens, and whenever it's not happening that process isn't running, and whenever it runs I have to install and initialise updates that Microsoft sent me via Trusted Install immediately thereafter, I can be pretty sure it's not from Indexing, right? Right. Holy old hell boy, what's wrong with you that you can't bother to read my description and beleive it?

So stop telling me it's for indexing and restore points. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif You're wrong

When I go into task manager and see that my normal memory usage is up, again, because Trusted Install is again working, I know damned well what's causing the drive to be written to-again...and when Vista gives me a message that says "installing updates 1 of 7" right after I shut down following one of these "Trusted Install" sessions that downloaded (SURPRISE! Seven updates!) to my drive, I know what's up, especially when the next time I start the PC I get a message that says "initializing updates 7 of 7"

You're going to have to let other people be smart once in a while, you know it?

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Not once in your post did you name trusted install as the process that was running. If windows update is bothering you so much why not turn off automatic updates, then you can just install what you want when you have the time. Maybe I did misread your post because I took it to say there were three distict problems, windows updates taking a long time at startup and shutdown, a writing to the harddrive problem, and a memory usage problem. If you had been more clear about the actual issue instead of all the sarcasm I might have understood better. I appologize for misreading your post, and perhaps it was a mistake to take out my frustrations at the anti-vista bandwagon on you. It's not my intention to make enemies with my opinions.

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2007, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro: It's not my intention to make enemies with my opinions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then hop off the high horse and you won't have to sneer as you look down your nose at people!

In my original post I mention the updates I was getting. How do you think I got them, Pony Express? You took this opportunity to take your frustrations with other people BSing about Vista out on me so don't act surprised when I tell you I don't care for it! Instead of trying to help, you decided to take a mildly amusing thread and get all serious and insulting.

As far as "enemies" go, I have never held a grudge in my life. If I like something you do, I say so. If I dislike it, I say so. But I don't dwell on it, and I don't re-live it or cultivate it

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif Thats fair enough.

DrHerb
10-11-2007, 02:59 PM
My girlfriend's laptop has Vista on it, Im "meh" when it comes to Vista, theres some cool features in it but Im more than happy with my XP install in my gaming rig

neural_dream
10-11-2007, 03:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB462cid:
Then hop off the high horse and you won't have to sneer as you look down your nose at people!
...blah blah blah...
As far as "enemies" go, I have never held a grudge in my life. If I like something you do, I say so. If I dislike it, I say so. But I don't dwell on it, and I don't re-live it or cultivate it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't have to shout all the time mate.

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2007, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:
...blah blah blah...
As far as "enemies" go, I have never held a grudge in my life. If I like something you do, I say so. If I dislike it, I say so. But I don't dwell on it, and I don't re-live it or cultivate it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't have to shout all the time mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2007, 04:01 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif Thats fair enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not mad at you by the way. I'm just very direct. Probably too direct

smokincrater
10-11-2007, 04:13 PM
There is nothing wrong with something that is old. I drive two cars one made in 1989 and the other in 1977(one year before I was born). I also have two computers One that STILL runs Win 98 and I play the games that I fell in love with GPL etc? and One that runs Win XP upgraded from win 98 that I do office work and high end games on. Commercialism http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif is root cause chucking out perfectly good things in favour things that are just as good but are little more shiner and faster.

We truly are slaves to the modern economic models we brought upon oursevles.

Waldo.Pepper
10-11-2007, 05:22 PM
http://smallprint.netzoo.net/reag/

na85
10-11-2007, 08:51 PM
And I can't beleive the nerve it takes to complain about MS updating the OS, "oh it's crappy and slow and theres bugs" one minute and then "oh I can't stand how I gotta download these bug fixes and performance fixes", WTF?! Run the blackviper tweaks, make sure it's not like B16Enk said and ms update is screwed up, go to microsoft.com and download the perfomance and reliability updates that aren't available through ms update, and quite yer bi!#ing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe if Microsoft released an operating system that wasn't garbage out-of-the-box then people wouldn't complain so much about having to patch.

Perhaps your fanboi goggles have blinded you to how much flak MS has taken over some of the issues with vista?

Like, oh, I don't know, the draconian EULA that some say violates the user's Fair Use rights?

The overly intrusive security warnings? ("Are you sure you want to allow this?" Yes. "Are you SURE?!?!?!")

As an operating system, it's mediocre at best.

Does it improve on XP in some areas? For sure. Is it better than XP in general? Debatable.

na85
10-11-2007, 09:10 PM
For the record, I'll buy Vista once some Hero of teh Internets figures out how to disable or remove the DRM software that's in it.

Until then, I'm not touching it.

BoCfuss
10-11-2007, 09:46 PM
"For the record, I'll buy Vista once some Hero of teh Internets figures out how to disable or remove the DRM software that's in it.

Until then, I'm not touching it."

In other words, until you get it for free, thats noble to be sure. Down with big business and all if it makes you feel better.

BoCfuss
10-11-2007, 09:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
http://smallprint.netzoo.net/reag/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't agree to it then.

smokincrater
10-11-2007, 10:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
http://smallprint.netzoo.net/reag/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good Stuff http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

JG6_Oddball
10-11-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't think ANYONE should switch to vista, it wouldn't bother me a lick if no one did. What does bother me is when people say vista sucks and then give BS reasons as to why. Vista does not suck, I like vista better than I ever liked XP, haven't booted my XP partition since I installed vista. It's faster (yes it is faster for me, if you don't know how to make your vista faster than xp then sucks to be you, I'm not trying to convert anybody), more stable, and dangit it does look nice. I don't care if every single one of you never upgraded and ran XP until doomsday, just don't tell others not to try vista for BS reasons. And as for the linux links, wtf? What does linux have to do with this conversation, all I'm trying to do is dispell the anti-vista myths everyone blindly keeps spouting cause they think it makes them look smart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linux has everthing todo with it...why? becuae i have ABSOLUTE control over the OS, i dont wonder what it is doing in the background...its doing nothing till i tell it to, I have almost all the same programs windows does with out the the antivirus,spyware,vAlid software check BS...
it runs for months boesnt crash and does not molset me with incesnt pop up messages...but you would not know that because your just a MS junkie with no real motivation to learn something new.

linux has come along way...IL2 on linux
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/JG6_oddball/il2unbuntu.png

na85
10-11-2007, 11:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoCfuss:
In other words, until you get it for free, thats noble to be sure. Down with big business and all if it makes you feel better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't put words in my mouth please.

You'll notice I specifically said "buy" in my earlier post. Here, I'll point it out for you:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
For the record, I'll buy Vista once some Hero of teh Internets figures out how to disable or remove the DRM software that's in it.

Until then, I'm not touching it.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> For the record, I'll buy Vista once some Hero of teh Internets figures out how to disable or remove the DRM software that's in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'll buy Vista once... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> buy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-12-2007, 10:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG6_Oddball:
I don't think ANYONE should switch to vista, it wouldn't bother me a lick if no one did. What does bother me is when people say vista sucks and then give BS reasons as to why. Vista does not suck, I like vista better than I ever liked XP, haven't booted my XP partition since I installed vista. It's faster (yes it is faster for me, if you don't know how to make your vista faster than xp then sucks to be you, I'm not trying to convert anybody), more stable, and dangit it does look nice. I don't care if every single one of you never upgraded and ran XP until doomsday, just don't tell others not to try vista for BS reasons. And as for the linux links, wtf? What does linux have to do with this conversation, all I'm trying to do is dispell the anti-vista myths everyone blindly keeps spouting cause they think it makes them look smart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linux has everthing todo with it...why? becuae i have ABSOLUTE control over the OS, i dont wonder what it is doing in the background...its doing nothing till i tell it to, I have almost all the same programs windows does with out the the antivirus,spyware,vAlid software check BS...
it runs for months boesnt crash and does not molset me with incesnt pop up messages...but you would not know that because your just a MS junkie with no real motivation to learn something new.

linux has come along way...IL2 on linux
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/JG6_oddball/il2unbuntu.png </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, I'm in a calmer mood today so please don't take this the wrong way. I mispoke a little yesterday, what I meant was we were debating the merits of vista, I agree linux is 100% better than any MS OS (don't assume I'm an ms junkie, I run several distro's on different machines), it's just that I was trying to play devils advocate and get people to realise that vista is not as bad as some say it is.

na85, I knew the F word would come out sooner or later, altho with the way I sound I guess I can't blame you, I just got in a mood over the "incorrect" vista bashing, there are things wrong with vista and the way MS does things, but I rarely see anyone bash vista on those items, always on things that are no longer or never were a problem with the OS. I agree that most of the current negative view of vista is from being released too soon, if vista were being released for the first time today, I think it would be a hit. Oh, and anyone who is even thinking about getting vista, please for the love of pete turn off UAC, lol.

neural_dream
10-12-2007, 10:17 AM
And to get something useful from this conversation: Does Vista at the moment improve the performance of Flight Sim X?

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-12-2007, 10:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:
And to get something useful from this conversation: Does Vista at the moment improve the performance of Flight Sim X? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about improved performance, but I've seen some screen shots of the DX10 upgrade and it does indeed look very pretty.

Hawgdog
10-12-2007, 11:10 AM
And to get something useful from this conversation: Does Vista at the moment improve the performance of Flight Sim X? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about improved performance, but I've seen some screen shots of the DX10 upgrade and it does indeed look very pretty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just fell of my LOLocart.
Most of the games are not DX10 yet. but the funnay was it doesnt seem to improve perf, thats at least what I'm getting. Several fancy pants things that are very cute and very metro..but XP is still king.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
it runs for months boesnt crash and does not molset me with incesnt pop up messages...but you would not know that because your just a MS junkie with no real motivation to learn something new. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, I'd say activate the spellchecker shields Captain!

Swivet
10-12-2007, 11:54 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif...I feel your pain, am sticking with XP for as long as i can, and when XP first came out i didn't wanna go to it either when i had W98se and that god forsaken WindowsME. But usually with a new computer fresh outta the box, or a reformat i know i am going to spend atleast a day or two, cleaning out the junk and obtaining drivers and updates. Dont use it till the blinking stops, and ya know the blinking is from your hardrives reading your chess game and not "windows automatic updates" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2007, 05:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swivet: Dont use it till the blinking stops, and ya know the blinking is from your hardrives reading your chess game and not "windows automatic updates" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well no, actually, the activity was from updates that were being downloaded. You can take that to the bank. Having the PC play chess doesn't require 20 minutes of nonstop writing to the drive when it's the player's turn. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif This also happens when I don't play chess.

I agree with you about OS changes, but I can say with complete confidence that Vista is much much better than WinME. For starters, Vista has succesfully handled each and every program I throw at it, without issue, from Il2:1946, to ArmA, to Bioshock (which is gorgeous), to the 1998 classic, Outlaws! to Photoshop, Vista handles it all with no trouble, and if something does have to shut down, Vista handles it gracefully, I will admit

WinME was much more of a pain for me than Vista

Matz0r
10-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Vista is fascism for computers...

tagTaken2
10-13-2007, 05:23 AM
I lost interest in Vista when I heard they'd dropped their new filing system.
When I read here that Vista doesn't support MSFFB2 software, I separated my XP disks in case of disaster.
I'm not tooo stressed about DRM (not pirating too much... although I have actually never purchased a license for Winzip despite regular use, which I feel bad about sometimes) but apart from 'improved' system stability with Vista, I can't think of another reason to upgrade. Just how much difference does DirectX 10 make? And is it worth all the unsupported games and hardware?

mortoma
10-13-2007, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoCfuss:
"For the record, I'll buy Vista once some Hero of teh Internets figures out how to disable or remove the DRM software that's in it.

Until then, I'm not touching it."

In other words, until you get it for free, thats noble to be sure. Down with big business and all if it makes you feel better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think people resent the DRM just because they can't have a pirated copy of Vista itself. In many cases people have lots of MP3s that will be rendered useless by the DRM on Vista. I have copied my entire library of music CDs into MP3s and I did this a long time ago. With DRM, even if you copied/ripped personally owned CDs into MP3 format, you can't use them, they are rendered inoperable. I feel you have a right to rip CDs you already own into MP3 format. Microsoft and the big greedy corps do not think you do.