PDA

View Full Version : Newbie dilemna re joystick confusion

PakWolf
12-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Salute all! .... and a thank you for the information source you have been while getting PF up and running. Just purchased the Gold Pack FB but have not yet installed. Not sure if I can put both the 'standalone PF' and the 'merged' on the same partition. Don't want to install anything on the "C" partition except for the operating system (XP).

Been flying (use that term loosely) on UBI Maddog's server during the daylight settings, my mature eyes don't handle the night settings very well:-)

There is a very good and accurate pilot that flies there occasionally in his beloved p-38 and he tells me to dump my old Sidewinder MSFF Pro (gameport) and my new (non FF) Sidewinder Precision 2 (USB). Claims that the benefits of FF are offset by the unnecessary vibration that inhibits shooting accuracy and a lack of travel for rudder control. Welcome comments from experienced twisty stick users that have made the transition to pedals please. This pilot claims my accuracy will improve threefold due to better rudder control (more travel and no FF).

Have just finished trialing a friend's X-45. Personally, and it could be my inexperience, don't like the feel of the throttle or should I say, ... flying with the poor rudder toggle button that is to far under the handle and again very little travel.

If responses favor the move to a more precise rudder controller I will buy the CH Fighterstick and pedals (USB). Travel: noticed my MS twisty sticks only offer a few degrees of twist (or approx. 1/4 inch of travel each way). The x-45 did show me that I will have a huge learning curve, with a change to pedals, but I can't see myself improving much with the sight movement as it is presently on my two MS sticks. I have so many hours on them I dread the thought of relearning but will if I must. Thanks for any replies.... PakWolf

PakWolf
12-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Salute all! .... and a thank you for the information source you have been while getting PF up and running. Just purchased the Gold Pack FB but have not yet installed. Not sure if I can put both the 'standalone PF' and the 'merged' on the same partition. Don't want to install anything on the "C" partition except for the operating system (XP).

Been flying (use that term loosely) on UBI Maddog's server during the daylight settings, my mature eyes don't handle the night settings very well:-)

There is a very good and accurate pilot that flies there occasionally in his beloved p-38 and he tells me to dump my old Sidewinder MSFF Pro (gameport) and my new (non FF) Sidewinder Precision 2 (USB). Claims that the benefits of FF are offset by the unnecessary vibration that inhibits shooting accuracy and a lack of travel for rudder control. Welcome comments from experienced twisty stick users that have made the transition to pedals please. This pilot claims my accuracy will improve threefold due to better rudder control (more travel and no FF).

Have just finished trialing a friend's X-45. Personally, and it could be my inexperience, don't like the feel of the throttle or should I say, ... flying with the poor rudder toggle button that is to far under the handle and again very little travel.

If responses favor the move to a more precise rudder controller I will buy the CH Fighterstick and pedals (USB). Travel: noticed my MS twisty sticks only offer a few degrees of twist (or approx. 1/4 inch of travel each way). The x-45 did show me that I will have a huge learning curve, with a change to pedals, but I can't see myself improving much with the sight movement as it is presently on my two MS sticks. I have so many hours on them I dread the thought of relearning but will if I must. Thanks for any replies.... PakWolf

Ritter_Cuda
12-26-2005, 03:55 PM
i think conrols are a very personal thing. I have the ch sick and peddles and love them. but
they are pricy
FF move this means that when you have the head shake when you pull the trigger your sight might move alittle more. now I have friends that love there FF they say they can fly the edge of the stall as they can feel when the plane is geting into trouble.
I think I would start small. look at the wear and tear on your stick. make a choice to weather it is to worn to do the work. BUY the peddles they are grea and will work with the stick in the game. the game will suport 4 input devices so start small and think though each change.
this sim got a long time to get to know it.
Cuda

FoolTrottel
12-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi PakWolf,

I'm not sure about dumping the MS Sticks.
I do not use one, but from what I've read here, those sticks are very good.

FFB? I use it, I like it. If you do not want to use it, switch it off.
Why change sticks for that?

Do get some pedals. It will take getting used to them, but getting yer feet in the game is good.
(I use homebuilt ones, good enough for me. I built them long before any twist sticks were available, so I can't comment too much on that transition, though I can say it will definitely be a big improvement)

Before you do too much learning on the new controls, make sure you've got PF patched up to the latest version! (And if any controller-trouble occurs, try changing sensitivity settings..)

Have Fun!

horseback
12-26-2005, 05:51 PM
I made the transition from a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 twisty stick rudder control to CH pro Pedals about 2-1/2 years ago.

If you really like the PP2 other than the twist rudder, hang on to it; just get the rudder pedals and assign the rudder function to the pedals and the aileron & elevator functions to the PP2 in the HOTAS section of the Controls section in-game.

Be warned, however, that the CH Pro Pedals will claim the Controller #1 position in your system, so the two brake pedal functions will replace the PP2's X-Y function in PF and Forgotten Battles/AEP unless you assign them to Brakes in the Controls Menu in-game, and re-assign the PP2's X-Y to ailerons and elevator. You joystick buttons may also have to be re-assigned to their former default positions as well.

cheers

horseback

hamselv2
12-27-2005, 07:39 AM
I use the Microsoft Forcefeedback Pro 2 (USB) with maximum forcefeedback (software version 4.00). I guess that I lose some accuracy because of the forcefeedback, but on the other hand I gain a lot of control of the plane because I can feel when the plane comes close to 'the edge'. I wouldnt fly without forcefeedback. The Microsoft Forcefeedback stick is a great and accurate piece of hardware - and that's not only my opinion. If you turn off the forcefeedback you will still feel some very light shaking.
Adding to this I like that - with forcefeedback turned on - I can feel bullets or flak hit my plane.

PakWolf
12-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Salute!

Thanks all for the feedback, helped me make my decisions. Going to start slow and add pedals only and see where it goes from there. My ultimate goal is to get the accuracy required to hold a steady bead on targets and I feel some setups are superior.

Everyone seems to have their own good reasons for doing what they do. Experimenting seems to be the only way to find out what works for me.

....PakWolf