PDA

View Full Version : Why, again, is it so hard to optimize(or port) games for the PC?

AubreyWilborn
01-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi, all. I've been on the ACB for PC thread, speculating and pondering with all the other PC gamers, about just when Ubisoft will tell us when we'll get ACB. We're still waiting on a real release date, although Ubisoft told us in summer of 2010 that the PC version would be shipped in November.

Anyway, Gabe Graziani( "UbiGabe") has sworn on one of his little video things, that the delay is due to optimisation-the game needs to be tested, and re-tested to make sure it can work properly on computers. But all this has me wondering: how hard is it to make a multiplatform game, really?

The reason I ask, is because of the way system requirements seem to be arranged for PC games, as opposed to console ones. The requirements for PC games seem to be so much broader, and less precise than console requirements-and you only need to to match two, or three of a PC's minimum requirements to run a PC game. PC gaming requirements seem more like loose guidelines than the precise requirements of Xboxes and PS3's. So why is it more demanding to make a PC ready game?

Case in point-when I first played AC2, my computer didn't have enough RAM for it(at least according to the system requirements). And the game ran fine. Heck, I've upgraded my PC since then, and "Can you run it?" .com STILL says I'd have no chance at all of running AC2, due to my relatively old processor.

Anyway-if my computer can run the game, surely alot of other can as well, so what IS the hold up?

AubreyWilborn
01-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi, all. I've been on the ACB for PC thread, speculating and pondering with all the other PC gamers, about just when Ubisoft will tell us when we'll get ACB. We're still waiting on a real release date, although Ubisoft told us in summer of 2010 that the PC version would be shipped in November.

Anyway, Gabe Graziani( "UbiGabe") has sworn on one of his little video things, that the delay is due to optimisation-the game needs to be tested, and re-tested to make sure it can work properly on computers. But all this has me wondering: how hard is it to make a multiplatform game, really?

The reason I ask, is because of the way system requirements seem to be arranged for PC games, as opposed to console ones. The requirements for PC games seem to be so much broader, and less precise than console requirements-and you only need to to match two, or three of a PC's minimum requirements to run a PC game. PC gaming requirements seem more like loose guidelines than the precise requirements of Xboxes and PS3's. So why is it more demanding to make a PC ready game?

Case in point-when I first played AC2, my computer didn't have enough RAM for it(at least according to the system requirements). And the game ran fine. Heck, I've upgraded my PC since then, and "Can you run it?" .com STILL says I'd have no chance at all of running AC2, due to my relatively old processor.

Anyway-if my computer can run the game, surely alot of other can as well, so what IS the hold up?

ace3001
01-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Dude, MrShade's probably gonna lock this thing cause of the current existing thread. =S
Oh, and btw, I think it's pretty certain now that this is not due to "optimization", though I gotta admit AC2 was a highly scalable port. First time I played AC2, I had 1gig of RAM, a Celeron D 2.2GHz processor and a 6600 graphics card, all below minimum requirements, but worked. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ass4ssin8me
01-30-2011, 11:07 PM
You are quite clueless, when it comes to these things... Every PC, is different, whilst, All X-boxes are the same, and all PS3s are the same, without being modded.

So, why would it be eaisier? Please do re-search, before implying that something is easy, when from, a designers point of veiw, it most probably, isn't.

ace3001
01-30-2011, 11:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ass4ssin8me:
You are quite clueless, when it comes to these things... Every PC, is different, whilst, All X-boxes are the same, and all PS3s are the same, without being modded.

So, why would it be eaisier? Please do re-search, before implying that something is easy, when from, a designers point of veiw, it most probably, isn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is true, I guess. For PS3 and X360, there's only one possible hardware combination each. But PCs are different. That's what makes it tougher. But other developers manage to do it on time, which is not the case with Ubi.

Murcuseo
01-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Regardless of the delay being for optimization, or not, the fact is, over analysis of the question "Why is it delayed?" will achieve nothing. Especially as all opinions expressed here are based on speculation and guess work. Noone will have a true idea of how hard it is to port a game like AC onto PC, because noone will have had to do it. So, starting a thread like this is pointless.

Lock please.

LCGuardian
01-31-2011, 03:55 AM
I guess the first stage is to draw a distinction between porting, which I understand as just creating a PC version (of any quality), and optimisation, which is creating a PC port with a range of PC specific features which will support a variety of different hardware components.

Apparently its hard to optimise for the PC because of the range of hardware available on the platform compared to consoles. That said, almost all other developers and publishers can manage to create at least bare PC ports of multiplatform titles which release on the same date as their console equivalents. So it can't be an impossible task, despite what Gabe would have us believe.

dylan1lk
01-31-2011, 04:29 AM
Dude, it is not about the optimization but business and money, you know. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Mr_Shade
01-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Please post in the ongoing PC topic.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1069024/m/6891094098 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/6891094098)