PDA

View Full Version : a few "How To's"

smink1701
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
If someone could help with the following I would really appreciate it.

Is there a trick to dropping torpedoes? I cycled thru all the weapon 1 thru 4 commands but could not get planes equipped with torpedoes to drop their fish. Regular bombs yes, torpedoes for some reason no.

Also, when in cockpit mode, is their a way to move your visual perspective up and down? I know you can zoom in and out, but can you adjust your line of site up and down? You can do it by moving your mouse but the moment you use your hat switch to look around, the forward view goes back to default.

Thanks!

smink1701
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
If someone could help with the following I would really appreciate it.

Is there a trick to dropping torpedoes? I cycled thru all the weapon 1 thru 4 commands but could not get planes equipped with torpedoes to drop their fish. Regular bombs yes, torpedoes for some reason no.

Also, when in cockpit mode, is their a way to move your visual perspective up and down? I know you can zoom in and out, but can you adjust your line of site up and down? You can do it by moving your mouse but the moment you use your hat switch to look around, the forward view goes back to default.

Thanks!

na85
04-15-2010, 02:27 PM
AFAIK there is no trick to dropping torps. Just hit weapon 4. If you're flying modded planes with bomb-bay doors, you have to bind a key to open them, but that would impact your bomb-dropping as well.

Without 6DOF there is no way to move your guy's head up or down in the cockpit unless the aircraft is equipped with a multi-position seat. I think the Zero has this, but few others.

smink1701
04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks but a few more questions...

If I'm flying a USN divebomber that has the fish inside the plane, what key opens doors?

Also, what is 6DOF

na85
04-15-2010, 03:02 PM
You only have to worry about opening doors if you are flying with mods enabled.

Go into the controls menu and look for "Open Bomb Bay Doors" and assign a key to it.

6DOF stands for "6 Degrees of Freedom". Imagine the camera is your head. In IL2 the guy's head has 2DOF. He can shake his head "No" and he can nod his head "Yes" or any combination of those two.

With 6DOF he can also tilt his head to the side, like you might do if you were confused. That's a 3rd degree of freedom. On top of that he can lean left/right, he can lean back/forward, and he can crane his neck up and down like you might do if you were trying to see over a tall wall, or crouch under a doorway. Those add up to a total of 6 degrees of freedom, and there is a mod that enables these things.

smink1701
04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Got it. Thanks.

M_Gunz
04-15-2010, 04:18 PM
You -really- want to look at reassigning keys. Many of the defaults that your stick/throttle/hotas covers
are prime easy spots to move the combo-keys into, like prop pitch to the number keys and trim onto the
arrow keys (unless you have them elsewhere). There are whole sets of unassigned keys you may want to use
some time and the whole exercise will get you familiar with what you have and can do.

Sokol__1
04-15-2010, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, when in cockpit mode, is their a way to move your visual perspective up and down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you dont have TrackIR, get NewView to do this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Go into the controls menu and look for "Open Bomb Bay Doors" and assign a key to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even in MODed IL-2 dont exist "Open Bomb Bay Doors" command. I these you open bomb bay whit key assigned to "Power 10%".

But torpedoes is just "bombs" for game, use the same key (Weapon 4) mapped for release bombs.

Sokol1

Woke_Up_Dead
04-15-2010, 06:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sokol__1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, when in cockpit mode, is their a way to move your visual perspective up and down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you dont have TrackIR, get NewView to do this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Smink might simply be asking if he can look up and down in the "head nodding yes" type of way, notice he says he can do this with a mouse. It should be just a matter of reassigning the controls on your hat from the IL2 controls menu. This will let you use the hat to look down and see the gauges at the bottom of the cockpit, or look up to see the planes above you.

TinyTim
04-15-2010, 10:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smink1701:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, interesting question. Why exactly do you need this? One way, not the most elegant tho, is to use bombsight - it does exactly this - fixes your forward view in arbitrary forward/downward direction. However, jumping in and out of bombsight view adds to workload.

I'm using bombsight rotated all the way up sometimes during torpedo attacks, I find it easier to line up a ship this way in certain planes (like He-111 with no gunsight infront of pilot).

VXB77016
04-16-2010, 02:11 AM
I have my pov hat tweaked so that up is up+forward and down is down+forward. This will change the default straight up and straight down views to a useful downward view of your inst. panel and an upward 45 degrees view. You can find these options in the keymapper.

To achieve Up and Down options for front+right, right, back+right, etc., I map Up and Down to two buttons on my throttle's pov hat and use these buttons in conjunction with my stick's pov hat to achieve full 360 degrees of up or down views. Basically you're turning your up and down button into shift keys. In other words, throttle Up+Stick right= up and right; throttle Down+Stick left= down and left. etc.

Hope this makes sense and proves useful to you.