PDA

View Full Version : Get me started

BP_Zip
12-31-2004, 08:03 PM
I've been away for a while, so I need some help with setting up Pacific Fighters.

I've spent the last month studying up on computers, and have just finished putting a decent system together.

Now, I install FB, then AEP, then Pacific Fighters, then apply the 303m patch.

Then what? What file starts the combined game? How do I get Hyperlobby to start the combined game? I have to rename a file?

Thanks.

BP_Zip
12-31-2004, 08:03 PM
I've been away for a while, so I need some help with setting up Pacific Fighters.

I've spent the last month studying up on computers, and have just finished putting a decent system together.

Now, I install FB, then AEP, then Pacific Fighters, then apply the 303m patch.

Then what? What file starts the combined game? How do I get Hyperlobby to start the combined game? I have to rename a file?

Thanks.

HotelBushranger
01-01-2005, 12:10 AM
If you've got FB+AEP+PF installed, you don't have to rename anything. You've dont the right patching, so youer alright there. With Hyperlobby, you pick the Forgotten Battles game, and it asks for youre exe. Now, you have to rename pf.exe to il2fb.exe. Hopefully, some PF servers will be up soon too.

I would assume pf.exe would start to combined game, i dunno ive got PF standalone.
Good luck

Cheers,
HBR

441Spyder
01-01-2005, 02:08 AM
look in the combo install folder usually this is the default
C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles-FB+AEP+PF
you should see "il2fb.exe" click this to be sure that it starts the 3.03m version then you will know what the path to your game is

now for the fun bit

open hyperlobby and then as you hit the connect button you hold down the CRTL+ SHIFT keys at the same time as you hit the connect
it will bring up a window for the path of the game let it search and it will locate most likely more than 1 version perhaps not but if it does then select the 1 that you know is you combo install
then after selecting the correct path to you 3.03m install click save and away you go have fun flying on hyper lobby

BPLIzard
01-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Zip? OMG bro, where have you been? Last time I've read a post from you was when Eve tempted Adam to partake on the forbiden fruit. Good to see you again.

Spyder seem to have covered everything. I hope we can see you again online. Happy New Year, bro.

Kuoster
01-01-2005, 03:18 AM
Pretty much in the same state as zip, But what if u only have the PF standalone. Do i do the same, rename my exe into il2fb.exe and then join the normal IL2 hyperlobby section? How will i know which servers are pure PF, Combined, which are patched, which arent, Which are WHICH patch, ect. And Will the Pacific Fighters still run/initiate correctly after renaming its original .exe When i click the PF desktop icon itself?

Sorry for the array of probably dumb questions http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

DuxCorvan
01-01-2005, 04:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BPLIzard:
Last time I've read a post from you was when Eve tempted Adam to partake on the forbiden fruit. Good to see you again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since Adam & Eve are supposed to be the first humans, what alien brood do you belong to, Lizard? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Ooops! 'Lizard'? Mmmm, I remember the "V" TV series...! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Athosd
01-01-2005, 06:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kuoster:
Pretty much in the same state as zip, But what if u only have the PF standalone. Do i do the same, rename my exe into il2fb.exe and then join the normal IL2 hyperlobby section? How will i know which servers are pure PF, Combined, which are patched, which arent, Which are WHICH patch, ect. And Will the Pacific Fighters still run/initiate correctly after renaming its original .exe When i click the PF desktop icon itself?

Sorry for the array of probably dumb questions http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hyperlobby is configured to use a file named il2fb.exe when launching any of the Forgotten Battles games. Since the exe in the merged install is already named il2fb.exe there is no need to modify the file for that type of installation.

However, for your standalone PF install your game exe is named pf.exe - to connect via Hyperlobby this file must be renamed il2fb.exe.

Your default desktop icon for standalone PF won't be able to launch the game with this change (its looking for pf.exe). It is however a simple matter to either create a new shortcut for the renamed file - or redirect the existing one.

The game will run fine with the renamed exe (both on and offline). Though you may want to change it back before installing any future patches.

Regards identifying servers in Hyperlobby - you have to hope that the host has put some version information in the name section.
Its a fairly safe bet that most/all servers will be 3.03 (standalone or merged) by now - however it may be difficult to find a standalone game.

Good luck.

Athos

CdtWeasel
01-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Heya zip, if ya still happy with that BP tag o yours, just come on by the sty. Set up comms and someone will help you get set up right quick, but what these guys here are saying should work out ok, but with the merged it is il2fb.exe not pf.exe like the first post says.

BP_Zip
01-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks, everybody.

I've found all my game CD's, so I'll be installing everything shortly. I had to wait on Pacific Fighters, as I made the mistake of having it a Christmas gift http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif That, and I took a while figuring out what sort of computer to build, and researching how to build it.

Hiya, Lizard. Yeah, I've been away awhile. It's winter, so it's definitely gaming season again. One reason I put a new computer together is because the old one didn't handle warm weather, and I'm too cheap to have central air installed in my house. The old computer case just wasn't made for good ventilation and the graphics card would overheat and crash.

The new rig is designed for good ventilation, with a Lian Li 6077 case, with a Seasonic Tornado power supply, with a big 120 mm fan right above the CPU heatsink/fan. I've got a Thermalright XP-90 heatsink with SilentCat 90 fan. The case has twin 80 fans on the back, another 80 blowhole fan and an 80 intake fan in front.

See you all in the virtual skies real soon, and thanks again.

Zip