PDA

View Full Version : Flak

Segwin
03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Hello all:

New to IL2 and have been flying some of the single player missions while tying to get my X52 programmed properly as well as getting the feel of the sim

I was flying the P-51, in one mission called Railroad attack, and was flying through a bit of flak when all of a sudden the windshield gets splattered and it made me jump (always a good sign in a sim if you get caught off guard). It looked like I ran into something. So I egress and start making my way back to base. Little by little it is sounding like someones putting marbles in the engine. I look outside the plane and sure enough a nice stream of black smoke coming out of it. The more time went by the more noise it made and it finally froze up. So I guess the black stuff on the windshield would have been oil.

Anyway, great fun.

Segwin
03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Hello all:

New to IL2 and have been flying some of the single player missions while tying to get my X52 programmed properly as well as getting the feel of the sim

I was flying the P-51, in one mission called Railroad attack, and was flying through a bit of flak when all of a sudden the windshield gets splattered and it made me jump (always a good sign in a sim if you get caught off guard). It looked like I ran into something. So I egress and start making my way back to base. Little by little it is sounding like someones putting marbles in the engine. I look outside the plane and sure enough a nice stream of black smoke coming out of it. The more time went by the more noise it made and it finally froze up. So I guess the black stuff on the windshield would have been oil.

Anyway, great fun.

scaredycat1
03-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Good thing you had your AAA card then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Welcome aboard.

danjama
03-24-2009, 09:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Segwin:
Hello all:

Anyway, great fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to see you're discovering the joys of il2. Also good that your not using externals!

DrHerb
03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I was in a coop once, in a Stuka, cruising along to the target, got reasonably close to the target area (maybe 10/15km out) then BOOM! I exploded. Made me jump back a few feet, turns out I took a flak shell dead on.

Choctaw111
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
How much time to do have? 'Cause Il2 will take up most of it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Jaws2002
03-24-2009, 12:07 PM
In this game your plane will die in so many different ways. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

The first time I ruined my engine was back in the fall of 2001 in that first Il-2 demo. I ran off the runway trying to take off in heavy rain and wind. My prop hit the ground and bent, then i flipped over broke the plane some big chunks. I was sitting there on my side with a wing and tail broken away, one wing pointing towards the sky, was raining and my bent prop was slowly turning in the wind. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I was hooked right there and then and i'm still here over seven years after. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Since then I saw my plane distroyed and damaged in so many ways. Blown to bits by heaavy flak, shreded by cannon fire, hosed by MG fire, overreved my engine, overheated my engine, had my prop pitch control shot up, my throttle cable shot up, got rammed by that control tower that just jumps in front of you when you try to take off, and so many other ways. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Bobbo_Tabor
03-25-2009, 11:41 AM
That black screen, bang you're dead always makes me jump. I guess part of it is it takes a sec to realize it is the game and not my computer but still.

ROXunreal
03-25-2009, 12:25 PM
And then you're tailing your target, getting ready to fire and suddenly, boom, another plane crashed into you from the side http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

crucislancer
03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Segwin:
Hello all:

Is that mission one of the ones that comes with IL-2 1946, or did you download it? It sounds really familiar, but I don’t play single missions that much.

I was recently playing a campaign based on the battle for Milne Bay, and the engine in my P-40 took at hit while attacking Bettys at 20,000 feet out over the sea north of the Sterling Mt. Range. Oil all over the wind screen, but the engine was still running. So, I called for a steer back to base, went into a gentle dive and went into as economical a cruise as I could in the hopes that I wouldn’t lose all my oil before I made it back. I had one eye on the oil pressure gauge the whole time. I was just about ready to touch down when the engine quit. Damn good fun.

Segwin
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
Hello all:

Is that mission one of the ones that comes with IL-2 1946, or did you download it? It sounds really familiar, but I don’t play single missions that much.

I was recently playing a campaign based on the battle for Milne Bay, and the engine in my P-40 took at hit while attacking Bettys at 20,000 feet out over the sea north of the Sterling Mt. Range. Oil all over the wind screen, but the engine was still running. So, I called for a steer back to base, went into a gentle dive and went into as economical a cruise as I could in the hopes that I wouldn’t lose all my oil before I made it back. I had one eye on the oil pressure gauge the whole time. I was just about ready to touch down when the engine quit. Damn good fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pre-canned single mission with 1946.

What you described is the exact same thing that happened to me. Great fun as well.

DKoor
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
If your engine gets hit, it is generally a good idea to run home.
Some times you will make it, some times you wont.