PDA

View Full Version : How to reach top speed?

PSYOP_mongoose
06-19-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I just can't reach top posted speeds in any fighter while trimmed out, full boost, and at various prop pitch settings.

I don't know what it is, but I just can't pull away from AI while not being able to keep up with them when they decide to sprint.

Any ideas?

PSYOP_mongoose
06-19-2006, 08:07 PM

I just can't reach top posted speeds in any fighter while trimmed out, full boost, and at various prop pitch settings.

I don't know what it is, but I just can't pull away from AI while not being able to keep up with them when they decide to sprint.

Any ideas?

danjama
06-19-2006, 08:12 PM
AI Cheat.

To check your speeds correctly, use cockpit off (ctrl-f1), this gives you correct airspeed in digital display.

Generally, use 100% pitch and full throttle with boost, check supercharger and mixture settings, and close your radiator for max speed.

PSYOP_mongoose
06-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks danjama.

Just to confirm the speed I'll try cockpit off, but I prefer to be in the box so to speak.

No outside views, no F6, it's all SA for me, and I do keep the radiator tucked unless I need to let it breathe a little.

To bad about AI cheats though. I always fly against 3-4 AI aces, and it does get a bit boring when AI refuses to fight and just keeps climbing away.

Not being able to gain some distance/alt to reposition is also a bit of a bummer, since when I bleed all the energy it's rather hard to keep dancing against multiples.

Oh well, sure is challenging though.

Thanks again.

PSYOP_mongoose
06-19-2006, 08:31 PM
p.s. Low altitude bad weather buffeting also does not seem to effect AI gun accuracy what so ever.

I like a bit of shake while pulling lead, but I do have to admit that it does tick me of when AI cuts me like I was on the platter while I'm all over the place and can't get a shot my self.

Having to kick out all the time just when I about there knowing that AI won't have a prob pegging me down while I wont hit squat, forces me to get really up close and personal.

OK I'm done babbling, back to the stick.

VW-IceFire
06-19-2006, 10:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PSYOP_mongoose:

Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As stated...the AI do a little bit of cheating. Namely that they are perfect in engine management while humans are not so much. Even the best pilots online are nowhere near as efficient. Just human.

Secondly if you want to look at rated top speeds in a book...those are given at true air speed (TAS) while gauges and the speedbar are in indicated air speed (or IAS). The two are close at sea level but diverge significantly with altitude (such that you could be at an altitude where the speedbar indicates 300kph and yet you are traveling at over 650kph accross the ground).

LStarosta
06-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Also, step on the ball. Flying a coordinated aircraft nets you a few extra knots.

StellarRat
06-20-2006, 02:59 PM
To convert your IAS (indicated air speed) to TAS (true air speed) you add 2% for every 1000 ft. of altitude. So, if you're in a Mustang at 27,500 feet (it's best altitude for speed), you should add an additional 55% to whatever your air speed gauge is telling you. Makes a huge difference at high altitude.

PSYOP_mongoose
06-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks StellarRat!

That one hits the spot dead on. I'll scale it both in imperial and metric.

Another question, it's not related to speed though, but still.

Side slip and yaw over compensation.

In the air rudder/aileron feel is natural, but in the sim I tend to overcompensate, especially at slow speeds, and deflection shoots are wasted.

I know practice practice, but any ideas?

LStarosta
06-20-2006, 09:33 PM
You can decrease sensitivity and establish a null zone on your rudder axis to make it feel more natural.

Xiolablu3
06-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Forget AI really, its good for a quick blast thats all.

Online is where the real fun/action is, get on there as soon as possible.

PSYOP_mongoose
06-21-2006, 12:50 PM
LStarosta, I'll try changing the settings on my pedals, maybe it'll help a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Online is where the real fun/action is, get on there as soon as possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't I know it Xiolablu3, but unfortunately I can't.

This ePortal does not ICS with the workstation on which I have my flight sims, it's LAN only. I can exchange files but not ICS.

It's just the way it's set up and I can't change it until I add another workstation and gut the network, so for now I'll have to settle for AI.