PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Campaigns and Skins

binky9
08-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Being new to IL2, and having tried unsuccessfully downloading a campaign and skins, which involved a lot frustration, I'm wondering if there is a set of instructions somewhere that guides the computer challenged of us through the process.

I'm a fairly good single/multi-engine, and glider pilot, but I don't know a whole lot about computers.

UltraPack, uTorrent, JSGME, etc. were all new and strange animals that I hadn't counted on meeting up with when trying the download a campaign.

Some basic hand holding that doesn't assume any previous knowledge as to where various files should go when downloading would sure be welcomed.

I've searched the Nuggets site, etc., and didn't see what I am describing. Is it out there, somewhere?

binky9

binky9
08-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Being new to IL2, and having tried unsuccessfully downloading a campaign and skins, which involved a lot frustration, I'm wondering if there is a set of instructions somewhere that guides the computer challenged of us through the process.

I'm a fairly good single/multi-engine, and glider pilot, but I don't know a whole lot about computers.

UltraPack, uTorrent, JSGME, etc. were all new and strange animals that I hadn't counted on meeting up with when trying the download a campaign.

Some basic hand holding that doesn't assume any previous knowledge as to where various files should go when downloading would sure be welcomed.

I've searched the Nuggets site, etc., and didn't see what I am describing. Is it out there, somewhere?

binky9

saipan1972
08-20-2010, 02:11 PM
for skins i would go to mission4 today. all u have to do is find the skin u want, dwnld it to your desktop. once its on your desktop click and drag to the folder called "skins" in your il2 root directory. place the skin in the appropriate folder. run a qmb, select the plane, then click on the advance set up and u should be able to select your skin.

binky9
08-20-2010, 02:33 PM
saipan1972,

What's a qmb and where is the advance setup? (Are you starting to understand my problem with downloading?) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Thanks,

binky9

Zeus-cat
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
QMB stands for Quick Mission Builder. It is one of the options on the main maenu when you start the game. QMB has nothing to do with downloading.

1) Download the mission or skin. Make sure you know where you download the file to. I recommend making a folder for downloads and always put the downloaded files in that folder.

2. Most missions should have a readme file that tells you where to put the files. If not, unzip the file and store the unzipped files in the download folder you created.

Skins
3. Open a new Explorer session and navigate to the IL-2 directory. For skins you will open the PAintschemes folder, then the Skins folder, then the appropriate aircraft for the skin you downloaded. Go back to the dowmnload folder and grab the skins and paste them into the aircraft folder. When you play the game you can change the skin by using the arming screen. One of the options in arming is the skin.

Campaigns
4. Open a new Explorer session and navigate to the IL-2 directory. For missions open the Missions folder, then the Campaign folder, then the 2 letter folder for the country. If you put a campaign in the wrong country folder it will still work, but the ranks and medals might be wrong. You can try my Straight From the Farm campaign. It goes in the UN folder (US Navy). Copy the entire Straight_From_the_Farm folder to the UN Directory. Start the game and you will find the campaign under US Navy.

Xiolablu3
08-20-2010, 04:40 PM
mission4today has loads of campaignd for simple downloading, no utorrent etc

Ultrapack is a mod pack you dont need this for most campaigns

binky9
08-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the advice and insight, everyone. I'll think about your suggestions, and see if I can get things working.

binky9

jeffmorgan_947
08-21-2010, 02:44 AM
I was in the same predicament binky9 being from an older generation,so I have an idea what you need to know,after a lot of trial and error,i found the best way was to choose your download [mission4today as suggested] double click your download and extract down this path.

computer/drive[c]/program files/ubisoft/IL-2 sturmovik1946/missions/campaign/and then select which countries airforce your download represents,highlight this and then click extact.
Then open up 46 sim as if to play and/select pilot careers/ select new/ and scroll down,eg GB will be in RAF.
The same with skins,open the skin download select all[highlight the first and hold the shift key when highlighting the last and then all will be highlighted] then after IL-2 sturm46 select paint schemes/skins and look for you aircraft to skin [try and be exact]and then exract.
All the helpers on the forum are great and they mean well, their generations were brought up on computers,but some of us were brought up on mothers milk!! good luck with your installation. JM

binky9
08-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Jeff,

In a few simple words, you have solved almost all of my problems. For Instance, nobody even mentioned "Pilot Careers", before. I always wondered what that was for.

Everything is now, pretty much , where it should be. Although the campaign and the skins are in the right places, there seems to be an "air.wellington mkIII file missing.

I'm pretty sure I downloaded it, but will double check that.

Thanks for your help to another different generation guy.

binky9

binky9
08-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Jeff,

The Wellington and Halifax files required for the Kammhuber compaign come up being .7Z files, which can't be opened. So, I don't know where to put them. There are folders for both in "Skins", but no skin files, and puting the .7Z files there don't help.

In loading one of these two a/c, it says an SAS file is required. What does that do?

I don't understand why the campaign file can't draw the extra files from where ever they are required and put them in the right places.

During the loading of the campaign, I get a notice that an air.Wellington_MKIII file is missing. When I hit OK, I'm bounced out of the loading of the campaign.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for being such a pain. Then again, maybe you're getting sorry you got involved.

Thanks,

binky9

Zeus-cat
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
binky9,

I am not sure, but I think the error you are getting is because the Wellington is not in the version of the game that you have. There are several mods floating around and one of them probably has the Wellington in it. You probably downloaded the campaign from the mods section at M4T or some other site.

If you have not done so I suggest you try a campaign for the basic version of the game so we know that you can download and install campaigns and start them in the game.

binky9
08-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Zeus-cat,

I appreciate your help. Here's what I have done, on your advice. I have IL2 4.09M and UP 2.01 loaded. I use MS XP, and have plenty of RAM memory. I downloaded your "Straight Shooter" Rufe campaign to IL2 Sturmovik 1946/missions/campaigns/JA. The campaign is definitely there. However, it does not show up when I go into "Pilot Career" and click on "New". The only campaign shown at the beginning of "Pilot Career" is the Kammhuber Line, which is the one that started all of my problems.

Any suggestions?

binky9

Zeus-cat
08-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Here is how the Straight Shot campaign should loook in hte JA folder.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Zeus-cat/Camp1.jpg

Here is what the contents of the Straight Shot folder should look like.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Zeus-cat/Camp2.jpg

If you have the campaign set up like this it should work.

FlatSpinMan
08-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Hey there binky9,
One idea that can make installing things easier is to make a short-cut direct to the main IL2 folder and paste it on your desktop. Thatway, if yo uwantto install skins or missions or whatever, you just click on the folder icon on your desktop and that will take you right to the relevant files.
Here's how.

1. Click My Computer> Hard drive (usually Chttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif > Program Files > Ubisoft

2. Now you will be able to see the main game folder. Right-click on it and select the "Create Shortcut" option.

3. Label it whatever you like by right clicking on the it and selecting "Rename"

4. Copy and paste it to your desktop.

The advantage of this is that you can physically copy and paste the relevant skins and missions etc directly into the appropriate folders and visually verify what is in there.

FlatSpinMan
08-22-2010, 06:10 AM
A 7Z file is just one type of compressed or zipped file. These are used obviously enough, to compress the contents of a file by I don't know, maybe 60% (?) so that it can be uploaded and downloaded faster. Other common ones are WinZip and WinRar.

The contents of a zip file cannot be accessed if they are still 'zipped up' so placing a .rar or .7z or .zip file into your campaign folder will have no effect.

If you download the free version of WinRAR it will allow you to 'unzip' (aka "extract") the contents. It also let's you zip things up, if you so desire.
The free version is in theory a trial only one, but you can use it forever.

FlatSpinMan
08-22-2010, 06:23 AM
When downloading campaigns from Mission4Today, note which section it comes from. 4T (as it's known) has two separate download sections.

One is for the standard version of the game,
DOWNLOADS link (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads)
the other is for modded versions.
DOWNLOADS 4 MODS link (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3)

If yo udownload one from the ods section you will need whatever mods are listed in the campaign info or readme. All downloads in this section are required to include links to the necessary mods.

M4T do not handle questions about mod problems though, so if you do have such questions, go to the modding sites. They'll be better able to answer your questions.

Anyway, the problem you mentioned about the Wellington and Halifax

"air.wellington mkIII file missing."

is indeed due to the fact that they are modded planes and not in the regular game.
As your version doesn't have them, you will be unable to play that campaign.

Installing mods individually can be a bit tricky. If you haven't already,I'd suggest going for an All-in-one pack, like the UltraPack 2.1. This is a comprehensive package of modifications to terrain visuals, ground objects, new planes, better sounds, better cockpits etc.
We can't link to mods sites here but just google the above term.

If you have a mod package, it is possible to add items to it as you like. I'm not sure exactly but there's something called a 'buttons' file which is evidently pretty vital to the process.
You also need to add some lines of code to a few files. That's a simple copy and paste job though, once you know where to look.

Hope these posts have helped. Keep asking questions, don't feel reluctant to. IL2 by now has become a huge sprawl of content so it is tricky to get everything set up just right.

jeffmorgan_947
08-24-2010, 02:26 AM
binky9. As you can see,if you have a problem there are a lot of people on this forum who will come to your rescue, Zues-cat and Flatspin are two of the best.

Just one point which i did not make clear with regards skins, the skin file that comes with your download [ open up to reveale all the aircraft paintschemes,and select the one to paint,double click and highlight first and last paint jobs[there could be just one or there could be many] and click extract,open up 46,go down that suggested path[paintschemes/skins] find the plane and unzip.

I found this all a bit beyond me at one time,but i found that writting down your actions helps,and soon it will become second nature. good luck. JM.

Doolittle81
08-25-2010, 02:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by binky9:
What's a qmb and where is the advance setup? ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
binky9 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to commend all the participants in this thread, and especially the Moderators. Too many times over the years, many replies would have been sharp, critical, disdainful, or the oft-Repeated "Use the Search function!"

It was refreshing to see all the help being extended to Binky9..both on detailed nuances of IL2 game folders/files, but also on matters such as how to work with Zip and Rar and 7Z files. Even some advice on working with MODs!!

Very commendable!! S!
http://members.cox.net/doolittle80/1941Salute.gif

Zeus-cat
08-25-2010, 09:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would like to commend all the participants in this thread, and especially the Moderators. Too many times over the years, many replies would have been sharp, critical, disdainful, or the oft-Repeated "Use the Search function!"

It was refreshing to see all the help being extended to Binky9..both on detailed nuances of IL2 game folders/files, but also on matters such as how to work with Zip and Rar and 7Z files. Even some advice on working with MODs!!

Very commendable!! S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. However, it would be nice if he came back here and posted if he finally got it to work. He seems to have just disappeared.

binky9
08-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Zeus-cat,

I didn't disappear, I was just busy trying to get the mod to work. Without success. I did download a couple of single missions for night fighters, which work fine.

I really appreciate the help everyone has given me, but I think I will stick to the single missions for now, because the downloading process is so much more straight forward. Given my lack of computer skills, and all of the hoops that have to be jumped through with mods, that's probably, and unfortunately, the best choice.

Thanks,

binky9