PDA

View Full Version : Attacking runs questons

Phobia337
01-23-2008, 09:28 AM
I have had the game since forever but just recently got back into it. I got my cousin and dad into it as well and we went and started a coop campaign. Well few questions.

First there is no autopilot with speed advance to get by the long long stretchs of open flying. So a hour or more of just flying alone can get old. BUT that is not a problem until you have to attack a aircraft carrier at the end of a hour run and get shot down and have to do it over.

Let me explain what happened. We did the midway campaign and the first mission has you fly out for a good hour real time then attack a aircraft carrier fleet. Well we wee cruising along at 5,000M and spotted the 4 ships in front us. So we choose to come down to 4,000M and swung out hard right so we could come at the ships broad side. PLUS they had some nice clumps of clouds we could come out of directly towards the ships.

We make the correct moves and pull down coming out the clouds. BOOM, BOOOM, BOOOOOM. Flak starts exploding all around us, then the MGs on the ships started firing. I went into a barrel roll, with alot of right rudder so I would corkscrew down towards the target. I get clipped, Lose all right alierons splash into the ocean. Rest of my team end up making couple more passes but getting knocked down by flak. One lost engine, engine locked up. Other lost elevators and could not pull up.

My question, or I should say OUR question is. How is the best way to attack these and how do you attack vs flak?

Is diving almost straight down on target better? or more horizontal low altitude pass better?

Air to Air we are pretty good from all the dogfighting we have done against one another. BUT against ground targets we all tend to get clipped by flak or ground cannons.

Any tips guys?

Thanks buds
Phobia

Phobia337
01-23-2008, 09:28 AM
I have had the game since forever but just recently got back into it. I got my cousin and dad into it as well and we went and started a coop campaign. Well few questions.

First there is no autopilot with speed advance to get by the long long stretchs of open flying. So a hour or more of just flying alone can get old. BUT that is not a problem until you have to attack a aircraft carrier at the end of a hour run and get shot down and have to do it over.

Let me explain what happened. We did the midway campaign and the first mission has you fly out for a good hour real time then attack a aircraft carrier fleet. Well we wee cruising along at 5,000M and spotted the 4 ships in front us. So we choose to come down to 4,000M and swung out hard right so we could come at the ships broad side. PLUS they had some nice clumps of clouds we could come out of directly towards the ships.

We make the correct moves and pull down coming out the clouds. BOOM, BOOOM, BOOOOOM. Flak starts exploding all around us, then the MGs on the ships started firing. I went into a barrel roll, with alot of right rudder so I would corkscrew down towards the target. I get clipped, Lose all right alierons splash into the ocean. Rest of my team end up making couple more passes but getting knocked down by flak. One lost engine, engine locked up. Other lost elevators and could not pull up.

My question, or I should say OUR question is. How is the best way to attack these and how do you attack vs flak?

Is diving almost straight down on target better? or more horizontal low altitude pass better?

Air to Air we are pretty good from all the dogfighting we have done against one another. BUT against ground targets we all tend to get clipped by flak or ground cannons.

Any tips guys?

Thanks buds
Phobia

general_kalle
01-23-2008, 09:32 AM
you can download excellent coop missions and campaign online. i can only reccomend Cat'o nine tales.

has shorte flight time.
whenever i build mission i will max allow a 30 minutes flight time before aktion
MAX

the campaigns that are in the game can be quite long

Phobia337
01-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Yea mission are a easy fix to flying long distances but that is not much of a problem. I am more asking how is the correct way to attack these emplacments?

cawimmer430
01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phobia337:
Yea mission are a easy fix to flying long distances but that is not much of a problem. I am more asking how is the correct way to attack these emplacments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only successfully attacked Japanese aircraft carriers directly from the front/rear since they have no guns or defensive weapons in these areas.

In IL-2, attacking ships in my experience is basically suicidal. You need a lot of luck (aka AI not cheating) basically. Try also flying low and close to the water, it helps a bit, especially if you're flying something small.

A few days ago I tried attacking a ship with a He-111 loaded with two torpedoes (FMB). My torpedoes missed and my Heinkel took a beating. One engine out and various instruments busted, but she was still in shape to get away from the ships fire and I basically managed to limp out and crash land on nearby land.

Basically you need a lot of LUCK to make it out of attacking ships. If you're going to fly Japanese and attack an American naval force, you might as well sign up for Kamikaze missions. The defensive fire you will encounter is just crazy! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Dance
01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cawimmer430:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phobia337:
Yea mission are a easy fix to flying long distances but that is not much of a problem. I am more asking how is the correct way to attack these emplacments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only successfully attacked Japanese aircraft carriers directly from the front/rear since they have no guns or defensive weapons in these areas.

In IL-2, attacking ships in my experience is basically suicidal. You need a lot of luck (aka AI not cheating) basically. Try also flying low and close to the water, it helps a bit, especially if you're flying something small.

A few days ago I tried attacking a ship with a He-111 loaded with two torpedoes (FMB). My torpedoes missed and my Heinkel took a beating. One engine out and various instruments busted, but she was still in shape to get away from the ships fire and I basically managed to limp out and crash land on nearby land.

Basically you need a lot of LUCK to make it out of attacking ships. If you're going to fly Japanese and attack an American naval force, you might as well sign up for Kamikaze missions. The defensive fire you will encounter is just crazy! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

But when you DO make it, it's an incredible rush, well, untill you're taken out by the enemy CAP struggling home alone. :S

Crash_Moses
01-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Well, historically there were two methods of attacking ships. I'm going to assume, since you were flying the Midway campaign you were flying the SBD-3 or the Val. Doesn't really matter as this applies to both. And both take practice, practice, practice.

Dive bombing - Approach the ships between 15,000 and 20,000ft. Once they are visible start descending at a shallow angle. This will give you a little extra speed to ensure you spend as little time over the target as possible. Once you reach 9,000 to 10,000ft you should be right over the ships. Deploy your speed brakes (SBD pilots also lowered their landing flaps...there was a switch in the cockpit that triggered both) and roll over and down. Try to point your nose between 70 and 90 degrees down. Use your rudder to center yourself over the ship (trim is of great help here) and try to get centered early on as any last minute adjustments are going to throw your aim way off. Also you'll have to make adjustments for ship movement, etc. Somewhere between 2,500ft and 1,500ft release your bombs and pull out of the dive. Retract your brakes and flaps and head away from the enemy as quickly as possible using a zig-zag pattern. SBD pilots would typically head off in all directions to split enemy forces and confuse them as to where their carrier was.

Skip bombing - This is more dangerous than dive bombing but more accurate. Basically follow the same procedure as above but time your shallow dive so that you keep up speed as you approach the side of the ship. Getting low to the water will help keep the gunners from hitting you but it'll also slow you down so don't get too low too fast. The faster you go the earlier you can release your bomb (don't forget to set a delay of one second before you take-off...otherwise you'll be caught in your own blast). I like to time it so I don't have to pull up after I release the bomb (to miss the ship) but if you do...immediatly put your nose down again once you reach the far side. If you keep climbing you'll become a slow easy target for sure. Dive for the deck and break left or right...whichever way home is...and keep zig-zagging!

I have a pretty nice dive-bombing track. PM me and I'll e-mail it to ya.

S!

Phobia337
01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Hell ya crash. Nice explaining. We came in pretty much how you mentioned in the dive bombing section. But right when I went to released my ordiance (which missed) I was tapped on the right alerion and it through my hard right and I could not get back left even with hard rudder. I was into to much of a dive and it took to long to bring it back before the BLUE CURTAIN OF DEATH, splash and it was all over for me.

Luck was just not on my side http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I would like to get that track from ya bud.

I am a huge war buff, collector, ect. But never really fell into aviation so much so I am lacking on my know abouts of tactics, different weapon systems, ect.

Any other tip, tactics you all could help with for attacking ground targets. Air targets I am really good at.

Crash_Moses
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
That's the problem with war...somebody's always shootin' at ya! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Be happy to send you the track. I'll send you a PM with my e-mail.

When I was a novice mud-slinger I stopped by Dart's Page often. The man has a knack for stating things in the simplest terms...excellent training videos. You'll be picking off AAA guns in no time...

----&gt; Dart's Page (http://www.darts-page.com/)

I also recommend Bearcat's Nugget's Guide to Getting Off the Ground (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645).

And when you're ready to start level bombing in the PBJ (my other favoritest plane) just click the link in my sig.

And welcome to the forums! S!

Phobia337
01-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks bud

I read the nuggets guide yesterday. Only thing I found in there helpful was the raising the seat to see over the front for takeoffs and landings. Everything else I am pretty solid on.

I am going to check out the other guys thread and see what might give me a hand in there. BUT I want to thank you for helping out.

I think this forum is going to be a place you will see alot more of me. Looks like alot more mature people than what other titles tend to have in their forums.

Thanks again man
Phobia

Phobia337
01-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Any other tips on attacking ships and any tips on dealing with flak?

Crash_Moses
01-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Best way to avoid flak is to vary your height. If you think the flak is getting a little thick climb up 1000' or drop 1000'. It takes the ship gunners time to recalculate your altitude.

In the case of withering machine gun fire one of the best tactics is slipping. This is especially effective when skip bombing. Just kick the rudder left or right and apply opposite aileron to keep the plane level and pointed towards the target. The plane will 'slip' sideways but will keep its nose pointed towards the target. It also helps when you have a bad guy behind you chewing up your rudder.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Phobia337
01-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks man

Do you all see anything wrong with my Sig HTML code cause I have no clue why it is not showing? It is hosted and all.

Phobia337
01-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Retrying it with BB code

Edit: Looks like that was it. Wonder why it says HTML in profile then lol

Dance
01-23-2008, 03:52 PM
I find when attacking nuns, looking out for that distinctive black and white camo is a good tip..ohh hang on a mo' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif

VW-IceFire
01-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I usually find myself attacking ships in a twin engined bomber or fighter-bomber using skip bombing methods. Harder to do in a Pacific scenario where you have a slow dive bomber. All you can hope for in a dive bomber is to get over the fleet without the flak and fighter cover getting you and dive straight on the target.

For skip bombing a ship my preferred plane is the A-20C or A-20G. Three second bomb delay. Spot the ship from medium altitude, initiate a shallow attack dive on the target ship so that the broadside of the ship is my target. Aim for the bow, drop the bomb, pull up, immediately nose down to avoid more flak, and watch the fireworks go off 3 seconds after the impact.

Usually I throw in a turn as part of my attack dive...so as to keep the plane moving on 3 axis in relation to the gunners. The AI rarely can hit you while doing this....same goes for humans really.

Crash_Moses
01-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Note the shortened wingspan for tighter turns. This model is underpowered but don't underestimate the fuselage mounted twin guns...they're deadly.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/Crash_Moses/flyingnun1.jpg

Lurch1962
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
If your coop time with the buds is precious, and you'd like to increase the fun:frustration ratio, you could adjust the ships' gunfire rates to a lower setting. Am at work right now and forget the conf.ini setting, but I'm sure you could find it out, or someone else reading this could supply the answer.

Phobia337
01-23-2008, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dance:
I find when attacking nuns, looking out for that distinctive black and white camo is a good tip..ohh hang on a mo' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never understand your comments. I been reading for about a week now and your comments are off the wall

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I usually find myself attacking ships in a twin engined bomber or fighter-bomber using skip bombing methods. Harder to do in a Pacific scenario where you have a slow dive bomber. All you can hope for in a dive bomber is to get over the fleet without the flak and fighter cover getting you and dive straight on the target.

For skip bombing a ship my preferred plane is the A-20C or A-20G. Three second bomb delay. Spot the ship from medium altitude, initiate a shallow attack dive on the target ship so that the broadside of the ship is my target. Aim for the bow, drop the bomb, pull up, immediately nose down to avoid more flak, and watch the fireworks go off 3 seconds after the impact.

Usually I throw in a turn as part of my attack dive...so as to keep the plane moving on 3 axis in relation to the gunners. The AI rarely can hit you while doing this....same goes for humans really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Nice, thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Note the shortened wingspan for tighter turns. This model is underpowered but don't underestimate the fuselage mounted twin guns...they're deadly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is Dances dream lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If your coop time with the buds is precious, and you'd like to increase the fun:frustration ratio, you could adjust the ships' gunfire rates to a lower setting. Am at work right now and forget the conf.ini setting, but I'm sure you could find it out, or someone else reading this could supply the answer </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Good Idea, I was in there today messing with my water, tree detail. I am going to look and see if I can find the AI firing rate on ships. Thanks Lurch