PDA

View Full Version : pacific fighters questions

orenge
05-08-2005, 05:31 PM
hi, i just got pacific fighters last night for $20 at compusa, and its an excellent game, i was surprised it was so cheap, i guess flight sims aren't in as high demand as FPS games.

my initial reaction is that its awesome. i set myself up in a quick battle, and was totally blown away. i opened fire on an enemy plane and was treated to a very impressive fireball explosion and debris.

theres a few things that seem to be weird though. i'm patched up to 304, and i did the standalone install. i have a P3 800MHz with 512MB RDRAM and an ATI Radeon 9550.

on the box it says that planes like the G4M1 Betty is a flyable plane, but i wasn't able to find it in game as a flyable plane. is that coming up in another patch or something?

also, i fired up a dynamic campaign. it was fun, but i noticed friendly planes were crashing before takeoff. also, i would get error messages after i exit the mission. something about something called dgen or something like that, i think it has something to do with the dynamic campaign generator.

also friendly planes seem to do silly stuff when i'm landing, like crashing into the ground and each other. i landed on a carrier and was just watching the ship move, and i noticed that the ship was moving out from under me when it turned, and the ship's control tower crashed into my plane even though i was holding brake.

anybody else experience these things? are they going to be corrected in a future patch?

also, are there any japanese torpedo bombers available? one of the first things i did was bomb pearl harbor, but i kind of wanted to be able to use torpedoes, i had to settle for a dive bomber http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

orenge
05-08-2005, 05:31 PM
hi, i just got pacific fighters last night for $20 at compusa, and its an excellent game, i was surprised it was so cheap, i guess flight sims aren't in as high demand as FPS games.

my initial reaction is that its awesome. i set myself up in a quick battle, and was totally blown away. i opened fire on an enemy plane and was treated to a very impressive fireball explosion and debris.

theres a few things that seem to be weird though. i'm patched up to 304, and i did the standalone install. i have a P3 800MHz with 512MB RDRAM and an ATI Radeon 9550.

on the box it says that planes like the G4M1 Betty is a flyable plane, but i wasn't able to find it in game as a flyable plane. is that coming up in another patch or something?

also, i fired up a dynamic campaign. it was fun, but i noticed friendly planes were crashing before takeoff. also, i would get error messages after i exit the mission. something about something called dgen or something like that, i think it has something to do with the dynamic campaign generator.

also friendly planes seem to do silly stuff when i'm landing, like crashing into the ground and each other. i landed on a carrier and was just watching the ship move, and i noticed that the ship was moving out from under me when it turned, and the ship's control tower crashed into my plane even though i was holding brake.

anybody else experience these things? are they going to be corrected in a future patch?

also, are there any japanese torpedo bombers available? one of the first things i did was bomb pearl harbor, but i kind of wanted to be able to use torpedoes, i had to settle for a dive bomber http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jarink
05-08-2005, 06:48 PM
A flyable Betty most likely will be included in the next patch. The exact time that patch will be available is a subject of great debate, so be careful!

Sometimes the AI planes will do silly stuff like plowing into the side of a mountain or try a loop at 200m. This is especially true if they are lower quality. AI can be a very difficult thing to program; I've just learned to ignore this stuff when it happens. (these things happen in real life, too)

There is a distinct lack of flyable torpedo planes for all nationalities. I think the complete list for a merged install (which includes the older Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion pack) is:
Il-2T
He111-H6
A-20G
Beaufighter Mk XXI

Hopefully we'll see more in the future.

cbytes7
05-08-2005, 08:02 PM
what ports are required to be open on your router / firewall to play ?

orenge
05-08-2005, 11:16 PM
anybody know anything about DGEN.EXE crashing when exiting dynamic campaign missions? its kind of annoying

GoToAway
05-09-2005, 12:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orenge:
anybody know anything about DGEN.EXE crashing when exiting dynamic campaign missions? its kind of annoying </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It sounds like you might not have installed the patches correctly... Dgen shouldn't generate errors (and you shouldn't constantly see AI planes crashing on landing.)

I'd try resinstalling.

Also, make sure that you aren't getting the m versions of the patches since you only have the stand-alone PF.

JunkoIfurita
05-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Yes, definitely re-install.

The EXACT patches you need for Pacific Fighters standalone are 3.03 and then 3.04. Ignore 3.03m and 3.04m - those are for the merged install with Forgotten Battles/AEP.

DGen shouldn't be giving you errors, and the AI planes, while they do occasionally crash into mountains if their flight path is incorrect (AI isn't THAT intelligent), it shouldn't be happening a lot, only very occasionally.

Also, while your computer meets the minimum requirements of the game in processor and RAM, it is borderline so don't expect to be able to have hundreds of planes in the air at any given time.

If you're problems stay after a re-install and correct patching, try posting in the community help forum - that's why it's there after all.

----

orenge
05-09-2005, 01:24 AM
pf_v303.exe
pf_v304.exe
those are the patches i installed in that order
i'll try reinstalling though

Amnio
05-09-2005, 05:26 AM
The AI-problem is enhanced a bit if they are not on landingapproach when you land. Ie. you're flightleader and have missed a few waypoints earlier. They will then often try to follow you down in formation, so try to tell them to return to base to have them prepare for landing instead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i landed on a carrier and was just watching the ship move, and i noticed that the ship was moving out from under me when it turned, and the ship's control tower crashed into my plane even though i was holding brake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Try turning your chocks on. This should "lock" your plane onto the deck.