PDA

View Full Version : The Pear Harbor raid (long read/PF)

J.J_Ramone
10-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Ever felt like re-enacting the €œPearl Harbour€ raid? Then Pacific Fighters is your choice of flight sim. PF arrived here in sunny Germany this week and with 40 " less in my pocket the long sough-after game was mine. The installation went smoothly, with no annoying error messages (as in AEP).

After some quick mission training in carrier take-offs, it was time to deliver a devastating blow to the United States Navy. My image of this event is largely based on films like €œTora, tora, tora!€ and €œPearl Harbour€ and I anticipated a very intense mission. I started the Imperial Japanese Navy carrier and picked the Zero carrier version. The mission briefing was, as in all Oleg€s productions, ridiculous. Almost all relevant information is missing. Critical facts like mission objectives, friendly forces, intelligence about enemy forces and the like is replaced by: €œAll pilots know what to do. Good luck€ and a ground attack triangle above the bay in Pearl. At least they seem to have gotten the spelling and grammar correct, as compared to IL2 and FB. (€œComrades, today we attack enemy airfield€¦.€)

The carrier flight deck is manned by invisible crew members. Not a single human being in sight. I had expected cheering sailors, gung-ho pilots having a last shot of sake and a stone faced Yamamoto on the command bridge, saluting his samurais. I guess it is a CPU thing. Anyway, the take-offs are fun; the aircrafts are secured to the deck with €œchocks€ that are released with a button. Full throttle, and you are away. The speed barely reaches the critical 130 kph at the end of the flight deck, so it is a close shave. Great fun! The number of flights seems a little low, though, I could only see around 9 aircrafts in the first wave. Not exactly what I had expected.

A new feature has been included: some kind of €œsuper time compression€. The screen goes black and all you see is a watch ticking. After reaching the next waypoint the system resets into normal time. This is needed, because the maps are HUGE. In flight time was about 1 hour before I reached the island of Oahu. But this time compression should have been a €œwarp jump€ rather than 10x compression. I had to stare into a black screen for 7-8 minutes before reaching the Hawaiian Island. Not really a thrilling experience.

The navy base at Pearl seemed completely caught with surprise. Not a single AAA gun fires. No activity is in progress at all. I start to attack the airfield adjacent to the harbour. A quick strafing run sets a fighter on the runway on fire. And wouldn€t you know it: Ben Affleck and his wingie are trying to take off! However, their choice of ride is not the P-40 but a tubby little fighter that looks like the Brewster in FB. Makes no difference, they are outnumbered and they are going down after being chased by a numerically superior Zero force. By now, the D3 €œVal€ dive bombers have arrived, dropping their 250 kilo bombs on the moored battleships. Some ships are hit, but there are no big Hollywood explosions taking out entire ships. After the first bomb wave, only 2 ships display minor damage. It is obvious that the damage model for ships have improved. The ships tilt slightly and seem to be partially damaged on the deck. But where are the torpedoes? A later check reveals that this decisive weapons option is completely missing! In a Pacific flight sim! I decide to add to the damage by diving down between the ships and strafe them. But where are all the sailors? I was really looking forward of machine gunning down all those panic stricken people running around on the deck or taking a swim. Not a singe human being in sight. I guess it is technical limitation.

To summarise, a fairly well created mission. The biggest drawback is the overall lack of action. There are very few airplanes, low combat activity and very few visible signs of war, like smoke, fires and explosions.

Now I'm off practicing carrier landings!

Cheers,
Johnny Ramone

SeaFireLIV
10-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Hmm, interesting observations... 1st point. Read the Readme!

Humans have been omitted by default from PF because of the FPS drop it may cause.

Reactivate by putting :

3dgunners=1

After game in config ini

People all over guns, trucks and things.
Don`t expect cheering sailers waving though.

The Time compression is good. Black screen, so what? I guess they could`ve put a picture of a nubile swimsuit lady there, while you`re waiting. But it`s good to have it.

Yes, not too many planes around and the zeros (I was playing from the US side), appeared a little thin on the ground. The bombers also didn`t appear to hit as much as they should, ok, no Hollywood explosions, but there need to be more damage. I`ve sen better in a standard LW attack on a Russian airfield.

Solution: I`ve configured the file to increase aircraft, etc, This should increase planes as with FB. But haven`t tried the mission yet - will soon.

Carrier takeoffs real nice, opening cockpit and standing up is very nice too. Very HARD (but I feel realistic) to land aircraft on a STILL carrier, but I like it. Also, extra Tower waffle - did you notice? There`s extra commands like "Vector to target and confirm takoff!" Good stuff. Off to discover more.

Fehler
10-22-2004, 10:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Solution: I`ve configured the file to increase aircraft, etc, This should increase planes as with FB. But haven`t tried the mission yet - will soon.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hoe do you do that? I use Lowgren's DCG for FB, but I have wanted to play the default campaign(s) with more aircraft. Is there a .ini file to update or something? If so, can you show an example on how to manipulate that?

I always assumed that the DCG did something to manipulate the campaign settings, but for the life of me I have no idea what file it dictates this information to.

SeaFireLIV
10-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Go into your FB folder, check the files till you see a `conf` file. Make a COPY of the file first, in case you type something wrong and foul it up. If it goes wrong then you can replace it easily. Simply doubleclick to open Conf. If it gives you waffle choose `notepad` to open it with.

Now you`ll se a lot of waffly text. Check down the lines carefully until you see a bit that looks like this (it`s usually at the bottom):

[DGEN]

Underneath you`ll see several words like RandomFlights=5
Airintensity=Normal

I just changed air intensity to `High`

Make sure you save and restart.

But be careful, it`s easy, but if you foul up due to impatience, a spelling error, whatever, don`t come running to me. Just replace it with the copy original.

p.s In Pearl Harbour, Jap bombers DO attack with torpedoes as well. the reason not much seems to happen is because the attack happnes in WAVES and it takes 2-3 minutes before the next wave hits.

jamesdietz
10-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Empty Deck - No LSO either????MIt the art biz we call this a Stan Stokes kind of painting because of the lack of people in scenes that really demand them in some of his work....So without an LSO are you just sort of on your own - how about in bad weather???

SeaFireLIV
10-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Haven`t flown at night or in bad weather yet...

You are kind of on your own, yes you take off with a deck full of other aircraft, but you won`t get people running everywhere. I mean the hit to FPS would be pretty big, I think. But you can request `Radio Clearance` for the time to go. The ship tower so far seems pretty accurate in when to go and when not to - I like just standing up and looking out the pit myself!

Forgot to add that there`s a special `Help` mode that you use with `no cockpi` view. So you can learn landing... But, sorry, I don`t want no modern `HUD` - I`ll learn the hardway....

Philipscdrw
10-23-2004, 01:41 PM
I can't find the DGen section of the conf.ini file in the FB root folder!

Philipscdrw
10-23-2004, 01:43 PM
What about the DGen .log files? Can I change settings there?

jamesdietz
10-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Yes I noticed the same thing - No DGEN or Airintensity,or RandomFlights...where are they???

SeaFireLIV
10-23-2004, 05:23 PM
EDIT - PLEASE READ -IMPORTANT!

DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO YOUR CONF FILES!

IT BUGGERS UP THE CAMPAIGN AFTER A FEW MISSIONS.

This is something I would do using IL2 Manager and it would place these lines in the Conf folder. No problem with normal FB, so I thought it would not harm PF, but it does!

CANCEL EDITING THE CONF FOLDER - DO NOT DO IT!

Sorry, guys. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif