PDA

View Full Version : 100 versus 87 octane fuel in the Battle of Britain

WTE_Galway
10-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Found this recent (April 2008) article which might intrest those with a more technical bent ....

The English Historical Review Advance Access originally published online on April 15, 2008
The English Historical Review 2008 CXXIII(501):394-411; doi:10.1093/ehr/cen007

ABSTRACT ONLY

Aviation historians have advanced the supply of 100-octane aviation fuel as a critical and recognisably American contribution to the Battle of Britain during the critical events of 1940. A study of the contemporary Air Ministry records in the Public Record Office indicates that this assertion can be challenged. This challenge can be made both on the grounds of the aircraft performance benefit involved, as indicated by contemporary RAF testing, and on the national origin attributed to 100-octane fuel supplies. These records demonstrate that, contrary to the assertions of aviation history, the supply of 100-octane fuel to the RAF in time for use in the Battle of Britain must be attributed to pre-war British planning and investment during the rearmament period of the late nineteen- thirties.

[... text removed due to copyright issues pending a summary ...]

WTE_Galway
10-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Found this recent (April 2008) article which might intrest those with a more technical bent ....

The English Historical Review Advance Access originally published online on April 15, 2008
The English Historical Review 2008 CXXIII(501):394-411; doi:10.1093/ehr/cen007

ABSTRACT ONLY

Aviation historians have advanced the supply of 100-octane aviation fuel as a critical and recognisably American contribution to the Battle of Britain during the critical events of 1940. A study of the contemporary Air Ministry records in the Public Record Office indicates that this assertion can be challenged. This challenge can be made both on the grounds of the aircraft performance benefit involved, as indicated by contemporary RAF testing, and on the national origin attributed to 100-octane fuel supplies. These records demonstrate that, contrary to the assertions of aviation history, the supply of 100-octane fuel to the RAF in time for use in the Battle of Britain must be attributed to pre-war British planning and investment during the rearmament period of the late nineteen- thirties.

[... text removed due to copyright issues pending a summary ...]

stathem
10-07-2008, 02:07 AM
IBTK

Good read Galway, many thanks for finding that.

20 pages?

No41Sqn_Banks
10-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for sharing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE_Galway
10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stathem:
IBTK

20 pages? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I meant to copy and paste the abstract and intro but got the whole thing by mistake.

The original article can be found by searching in google for the author "Gavin Bailey" and "100 Octane"

Aaron_GT
10-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Yes, sorry if I had to come down on it. A link to the Historical Review site, if you have it, would be more than acceptable here.

WTE_Galway
10-09-2008, 05:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
Yes, sorry if I had to come down on it. A link to the Historical Review site, if you have it, would be more than acceptable here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not sure if oxford journals links work if you are outside a subscribed university, but for what its worth this was the original link.

http://ehr.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/cen007v1

stathem
10-10-2008, 12:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stathem:
IBTK

20 pages? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I meant to copy and paste the abstract and intro but got the whole thing by mistake.

The original article can be found by searching in google for the author "Gavin Bailey" and "100 Octane" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, the 20 pages comment was a prediction of the amount of over-blown discourse I expected the article to generate here, rather than about the length of the article. Evidently I was wrong.

Although I fully understand Aaron's reasons for clipping it, I'm glad I got to read it in full before he did so. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif