PDA

View Full Version : A date which will live in infamy

99th Obsidian
12-07-2004, 01:30 PM
Lest we not forget the day that launched the sim we fly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif True there were many other battles in the Pacific but this is the one that "awoke the giant". I would like to thank Oleg for including such a detailed map of Pearl Harbor. Out of rememberance, fly a Pearl Harbor mission or two today. R.I.P. all who died for their country 63 years ago. Gone but not forgotten.

|CoB|_Spectre
12-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Here, here! So began one of the most significant events in human history, the after effects which we still feel today. I'm somewhat surprised, being the overwhelming reception given to Pacific Fighters, there was no response to your post, Obsidian. It is somewhat disturbing that those who enjoy these simulated exploits should let slip-by a moment of recognition and remembrance of those on whom the fate of the world rested. Men and women just "doing their duty". The phrase "lest they forget" seems more ominous than ever before.

Blackdog5555
12-07-2004, 03:42 PM
yes

Philipscdrw
12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
What? Is it the third anniversary already? I remember getting my first issue of PCPilot magazine, which had a demo of a new Russian flight sim on the cover, which I played and thought 'This is cool. I like being the gunner in the Il-2.' and didn't think much more of it at the time, being 15 and generally underappreciative of everything. Then I read the preview in the magazine and thought: "Gosh, I'd better have a deeper look at this!" And then I mail-ordered it from somewhere... I remember receiving it, opening the box, and reading all about constant-speed propellors. (Then two months ago, I got back from the shop with PF, cut off the shrinkwrap with the handy oxyacetalene torch, and read exactly the same words in the new manual...) I found these forums (they had a different URL back then, didn't they?) and the beloved Il2center.com (RIP)... never looked back really, or played more than about 30 minutes of any CFS game since!

eddiemac0
12-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Philipscdrw,
This post is about Pearl Harbor. I hope that wasn't a joke.

VMF223_Smitty
12-07-2004, 06:57 PM
On this day I honor the men and women who are on the front lines protecting the Freedoms that we, as free nations enjoy.
I also Honor the young men who died on this date in 1941 at Pearl Harbor. To the greatest generation: Salute

The photo is one of the USS Nimitz, my son's ship and a guardian of Freedom. God Bless the ship and all who serve on her.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/annisall/images/CVN68.jpg

VMF223_Smitty
12-07-2004, 07:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
What? Is it the third anniversary already? I remember getting my first issue of PCPilot magazine, which had a demo of a new Russian flight sim on the cover, which I played and thought 'This is cool. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

eddiemacO
Given the age of this young man, 18 (if he was 15 three years ago), his light hearted comments about a tragic event is understandable. I don't criticize him for it, I will wait for the day to come when he understands that the virtues of Duty, Sacrifice and Honor are far above our poor attempts to add or subtract.

Smitty
Commanding
MAG-23

Chuck_Older
12-07-2004, 07:18 PM
In PhillipsCDrw's defense, I'd like to point out that the first sentence in the original post reads thusly:

"Lest we not forget the day that launched the sim we fly."

This is a semi-confusing sentence in reagrds to Pearl Harbor, at the very least.

On this December 7th, I'd like to add to the list of US Servicemen and Servicewomen we keep in our thoughts, by mentioning our Nation's armed forces who will be spending the Holidays in a faraway land.

May they all come home safe, sound, and soon.

J_Weaver
12-07-2004, 07:31 PM
As a 19 year old I find the lack of understanding and respect for what happened in WWII by people of my generation very sad.

My family and extended family poured their lives into WWII.My Grand Father built liberity ships: 2 3rd cousins served in the army, 1 in Europe, his brother New Guinea and the Philippines, wounded twice: My uncle's (by marriage) father was a bombardier in a B-24: another cousin's husband was a ball turrent gunner in a B-17: 1 Great Uncle served in the Navy, was wounded in the head in during a Stuka attack in North Africa: another in the Army in Europe. By the grace of God they all made it home in one peace. I've always been in awe of these men. I think I owe it to them and their generation to try to understand and respect what they did all those years ago.

VMF223_Smitty
12-07-2004, 07:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J_Weaver:
As a 19 year old I find the lack of understanding and respect for what happened in WWII by people of my generation very sad.

My family and extended family poured their lives into WWII.My Grand Father built liberity ships: 2 3rd cousins served in the army, 1 in Europe, his brother New Guinea and the Philippines, wounded twice: My uncle's (by marriage) father was a bombardier in a B-24: another cousin's husband was a ball turrent gunner in a B-17: 1 Great Uncle served in the Navy, was wounded in the head in during a Stuka attack in North Africa: another in the Army in Europe. By the grace of God they all made it home in one peace. I've always been in awe of these men. I think I owe it to them and their generation to try to understand and respect what they did all those years ago. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

J_Weaver:

This old Marine stands and salutes you and your family. As long as there are men of your stature around, we need to stand in fear of nothing.

Smitty

x__CRASH__x
12-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Active Duty Navy here giving a salute to those servicemen who were jumped that day in aggressive deception.

"Lest We Forget"

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilence"

VMF223_Smitty
12-07-2004, 08:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
Active Duty Navy here giving a salute to those servicemen who were jumped that day in aggressive deception.

"Lest We Forget"

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilence" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Salute Crash !!

Semper Fidelis

Smitty
MAG-23