PDA

View Full Version : Spit Ix in 3.03

Tvrdi
12-26-2004, 09:39 AM
ok, it seams, again, that Spit IX has an ultimate cooler in 3.03....no overheating, online after long dog with full throttle and boost engaged..why ther messing up always with owerheating in spit???

Spitf_ACE
12-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Does the fact that everything, prop pitch, radiator etc is automatic. mean that as soon as the engine starts to overheat, the radiator will open and the revs will be reduced to cool it.

My engine often says overheat, then normal, then overheat again, without me touching the throttle. However i can definately hear the revs drop.

RedDeth.....
12-26-2004, 03:24 PM
the spit 9 should NOT overheat. it actually had a problem of running too cool at high altitudes. it was very efficient at staying cool. they would actually try to keep it running hotter a little bit.

so the no overheat on spit is totally accurate. it should never overheat. ever

Tvrdi
12-26-2004, 04:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedDeth.....:
the spit 9 should NOT overheat. it actually had a problem of running too cool at high altitudes. it was very efficient at staying cool. they would actually try to keep it running hotter a little bit.

so the no overheat on spit is totally accurate. it should never overheat. ever <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

WUAF_Badsight
12-26-2004, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedDeth.....:
. it should never overheat. ever <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
neither should any other A/C at high alt

they had to shut their rads cause its so cold up at high alt

robban75
12-26-2004, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WUAF_Badsight:
. it should never overheat. ever <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
neither should any other A/C at high alt

they had to shut their rads cause its so cold up at high alt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yepp. It was the same when flying during cold winter days. Swedish Mustang pilots reported that they flew with rads fully closed at full power in order not to "overcool" the engine, even when they were just above the tree tops.

VW-IceFire
12-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Regardless of what goes on in the sim, some planes were reported as having overly efficient cooling systems. The P-38 was one of those that had problems with overcooling...but I think the FW190's early prototype reputation was for running hot.

In most cases, high RPM's in combat weren't discouraged specifically because of heat buildup over the short term but wear on the engine and the reduction of its lifespan...this was a real problem when engines were in short supply. So we have no compuncture to say...ahh heck and ram the throttle full out and run it hard. We can get a perfectly new plane the next time around. But a real WWII pilot would have a second thought before running the engine over the normal tolerances...but it had little to do with heat as I can understand it from the pilot memories I've read.

The primary problem with the Spitfire IX in 2.04 AEP was the too fast high speed that was achieved above its supercharger kicking into high gear. This affected those flying over 5000 meters...ironicaly, only a small percentage of the people complaining about the Spitfire IX were fighting the IX above the limit where the overmodeled speed came into affect. I'm told, although I haven't done the tests recently, that the LF IX is now performing within the proper limits and speeds (Oleg mentooned that they had more accurate information with the speed at a lower level for PF3.0). The HF IX is an oddity and I have no idea about that one or its performance.

I guess we need another round of testing...all the usual suspects will be here soon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

flemsha
12-26-2004, 11:42 PM
I thought the temperature problem in the P-38 was that the pilot froze his butt off in the cockpit because hee did not have any heat from the engine unlike other fighters http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif