PDA

View Full Version : Will AC be under 'Games for Windows' program?

Madhatt3rr
05-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Looking at the guesses on the min. hardware for AC, I can't help but think that it will really push the limits on 32-bit OS's. Myself, I have old games (Diablo, C&C95, etc.) so I can't really go with a multi-core processor. If AC were to be under the 'Games for Windows' program, it would run on both XP and Vista, 32 and 64-bit builds.

It would seem logical to me if Ubi allowed us to run such a resource hungry game on a 32 and 64-bit OS. We wouldn't have to worry about pushing the 2GB limit (/wo switches).

Ubi please... please! have AC under the 'Games for Windows' program. I really don't want to choose between my old, much loved games; and newer games that could and should fully support the newest OS builds.

Madhatt3rr
05-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Looking at the guesses on the min. hardware for AC, I can't help but think that it will really push the limits on 32-bit OS's. Myself, I have old games (Diablo, C&C95, etc.) so I can't really go with a multi-core processor. If AC were to be under the 'Games for Windows' program, it would run on both XP and Vista, 32 and 64-bit builds.

It would seem logical to me if Ubi allowed us to run such a resource hungry game on a 32 and 64-bit OS. We wouldn't have to worry about pushing the 2GB limit (/wo switches).

Ubi please... please! have AC under the 'Games for Windows' program. I really don't want to choose between my old, much loved games; and newer games that could and should fully support the newest OS builds.

andy276
05-03-2007, 10:37 AM
even if it won't be one of the 'Games for Windows', that doens't automatically mean it won't work in XP... or whatever you're trying to say

Madhatt3rr
05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
I guess I should clearify. I'm sure that AC will work on XP. I will be having two computers: 1) XP computer (single core processor Athlon 64 4000+) 2) Vista computer 64-bit.

My XP computer will basically be for legacy games. The Vista computer will be for the newest games. The Vista computer will have a quad-core processor. Old games.. even the Prince of Persia series will not run on multi-core processors, the games throw up on a multi-core processor. What I am worried about is, AC will not work on Vista 64-bit.

AC will probably need a really beefy computer. XP w/ SP2 allows for 2GB of memory (without modifications), even with the modifications the absolute max is 4GB of memory. In order to have the OS see the full 4GB, you have to turn Ultra DMA off, which slows down the computer. If you want more info on that I'll type it, just figure that you could care less about Ultra DMA vs. DMA 33/66.

Anyway, 'Games for Windows' is a program/specification guide line that ensures that games that have the 'Games for Windows' certification will install and work on 64-bit variants of the Windows OS, along with other guarentees.

What I am saying is, I would like the option of running AC on a really beefy Vista 64-bit computer, as opposed to a not-so-beefy XP computer.

Anicrow
05-03-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty confident that it will work with a 64 Bit System. Going by the release date, and the growing popularity of Vista, it would be pretty dumb of Ubi not to make it run in 64 bit.

NenYim
05-05-2007, 12:15 PM
It would be dumb if they CHOSE not to support Vista 64bit or Multi-core processing out of the box.

However, as the game has been in development for over four years, they may not have had much of a choice.

I certainly hope they do have built-in support, as waiting for a patch that may never come, or may not work flawlessly isn't exactly fun.

randman2007
05-08-2007, 08:00 AM
I really hope that ubisoft doesn't neglect this title like they did Splinter Cell: Double Agent. The SC series on PC was so strong and it got better with every title, and then ubi dropped the ball on what could have been the best title of them all. From what I've read, it seems as though they are developing the PC version simultaneously as the PS3 and the X360. Windows games have a lot more bumps to hurdle, so I hope that's the only reason for the longer develop time.

I AM WORRIED, however, that gamestop has the X360, PS3, and DS versions already listed for preorder. They don't have anything for PC yet.

randman2007
05-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Also... I noticed they don't have "PC" listed below the intro image to www.assassinscreed.com (http://www.assassinscreed.com).
I hope that's a mistake and not intentional.

Anicrow
05-08-2007, 11:04 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif I hope that is an error too lol... EVEN if I'm getting it on the 360

chewie1890
05-08-2007, 11:17 AM
It's just a mistake, they've confirmed it coming for PC so don't worry. I just checked and they're having a poll on what you will buy AC for and one of the options are PC.

randman2007
05-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Seriously, thanks. I think the X360 and PS3 are cool, but I love my PC. I don't own a 360 or a PS3, but this (and FFXIII) is the kind of game that would make me go out and get one... and that's just a little crazy.

Thanks Chewie.