PDA

View Full Version : The earliest mention of bomb-skipping?

Hanglands
05-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi,

I've just started reading 'Bomber Offensive' by Arthur Harris.

I know Ive read a couple of discussions on here before about the earliest exampls of bomb-skipping.

In the first chapter of the book, when Harris is recounting a conversation he had in September 1939, he writes :

"... He was fulminating against the idiotic procedure of bowling the useless 250lb bomb on to German battleships from the height of a few feet, which is what Bomber Command was doing at that time."

So, September 1939... Is that the earliest reference to bomb-skipping? If indeed it is a reference to bomb-skipping at all?

Regards.

Hanglands
05-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi,

I've just started reading 'Bomber Offensive' by Arthur Harris.

I know Ive read a couple of discussions on here before about the earliest exampls of bomb-skipping.

In the first chapter of the book, when Harris is recounting a conversation he had in September 1939, he writes :

"... He was fulminating against the idiotic procedure of bowling the useless 250lb bomb on to German battleships from the height of a few feet, which is what Bomber Command was doing at that time."

So, September 1939... Is that the earliest reference to bomb-skipping? If indeed it is a reference to bomb-skipping at all?

Regards.