PDA

View Full Version : ACII getting more RPGIsh - what do you think?

Danvish
08-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Ok,

So we've all seen that ACII is getting more and more RPGish elements.

What I want to know, is what do you think about it? Are all this things really neccecary?

What elements they added you do/don't like about it?

My personal thought is that I'm really really excited about many of the additions (More weapons, more killing techniques, more open-based world, economic system) but there are some things that worried me (solving puzzles is just one example). And I do want Ubisoft to remember the baelines of Assassin's Creed, and not get too excited from Prince of Persia i.e (just an example).

I want to emphasize that this is only a discussion! I'm pretty sure that everyone here will buy the game even if they don't like some of the new things, since there are many other very cool new things, so please save your flaming or any childish comments (stop whining). It's just a place for people to put down their opinions.

Danvish
08-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Ok,

So we've all seen that ACII is getting more and more RPGish elements.

What I want to know, is what do you think about it? Are all this things really neccecary?

What elements they added you do/don't like about it?

My personal thought is that I'm really really excited about many of the additions (More weapons, more killing techniques, more open-based world, economic system) but there are some things that worried me (solving puzzles is just one example). And I do want Ubisoft to remember the baelines of Assassin's Creed, and not get too excited from Prince of Persia i.e (just an example).

I want to emphasize that this is only a discussion! I'm pretty sure that everyone here will buy the game even if they don't like some of the new things, since there are many other very cool new things, so please save your flaming or any childish comments (stop whining). It's just a place for people to put down their opinions.

CC1138
08-21-2009, 08:18 AM
What? Puzzle solving? Where did you read this? (if you're talking about the cliffhanger, there was already one at the end of the first episode).

Danvish
08-21-2009, 08:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CC1138:
What? Puzzle solving? Where did you read this? (if you're talking about the cliffhanger, there was already one at the end of the first episode). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the new interviews. Patrice said that the new "Secret locations" would include puzzles you need to solve.

CC1138
08-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Well I think these secrets locations are just nice easter eggs referencing to PoP just as they did.
To get back into the subject, I think all these improvements are really cool. The first game was a little bit limited (great though) and these more RPG, GTA-like aspects make the game even better. I'm very pleased with the direction the game is going to (beside the firearm that can load 6 bullets).

Charlie_Romeo
08-21-2009, 08:47 AM
i think your right dan but i think that if they do these things carefully and dont bombard uis with it, it should be fine really. i dont think its GTA like atm. Its not like running around and killing whoever and what ever its a controlled game of assassins

Cpt_Yanni
08-21-2009, 08:59 AM
i think it's like the others say, nothing to worry about... It are all improvements on the base of Assassin's Creed I. Assassin's Creed I was already good so I think every "add-on" will just make the game better then the first one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ezio-simoli
08-21-2009, 09:04 AM
EXACTLY!! Cpt Yanni

CC1138
08-21-2009, 09:08 AM
So none of us (including me) find a game ruining new fearture at this time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Edengoth
08-21-2009, 09:14 AM
We can't assume that just because the base of something is good, nothing can ruin that. If I add chocolate-covered roaches to great pizza, that could ruin the pizza.

As for the rpg thing, like I said, I worry more about item managment element getting too complex and stealing some focus from the rest of the game. I like the more PoPish elements, as long as it doesn't become too much about rattling off parkour moves (since the controls are designed to hold it and let ezio go, and having more varied controls all-around, as opposed to PoP where the controls were based around movement and the combat came second). But I always wished AC would include wall-running. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

sensationikke
08-21-2009, 09:17 AM
The health potions worry me. I also like AC cause of the realism, which i mean you don't heal yourself with a potion. But there have been discussions about this already.

I like what they say so far, it really seems like they listened to the people and put work in it. So far so good, i only hope that it doesn't get to many RPG elements. But i think they'll do fine.

thekyle0
08-21-2009, 09:18 AM
I think they excluded wall running in AC1 because the architecture didn't have very many places where it would be useful. but if it's in the catacombs than they probably could make room for it.

Charlie_Romeo
08-21-2009, 09:20 AM
surely the architecture would be great for this it aint smooth or nuthing soo it would be possible

CC1138
08-21-2009, 09:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sensationikke:
The health potions worry me. I also like AC cause of the realism, which i mean you don't heal yourself with a potion. But there have been discussions about this already.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But you don't heal yourself, synchronizing with your ancestor^^

Danvish
08-21-2009, 09:33 AM
I do agree with you all actually.

I want the RPG elements to only serve as an add-on to the original game, in order to give us much more variety. However, they must be careful to keep the same baseline with the RPGs elements, and not to allow it to become an RPG with the baseline elements.

Azugo
08-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I think the RPG Elements are making the game alot better. I always thought that carrying around a longsword, a shortsword with a heap of throwing knives was a bit suspicious... (AC1)

With the 'Secret Locations' thing, these are Templar Hideouts or something and are totally optional to whether you want to do them. But if you do do them, you can get rewards. (Probably shop-rewards that unlock more weapons, armor, etc.)

I really hope that they don't turn it into a PoP spin-off kinda thing.

Ezio28101943
08-22-2009, 11:34 AM
This game has a chance to become better with RPG elements and the side quests are a result of everyone hating the fact that once you beat AC1, you either went back and collected flags, or you restarted.
The side quests and also the codes for bonus buildings are just ways they make the game more enjoyable and less predictable.

My concern is how are they gonna move the storyline along with Desmond? At the end of Ac1 they wanted to kill him, so what's gonna make them keep him alive and make him go back into the animus? Also, will he still be in the same room? Or will the two doors be unlocked? (There's one where Vidic always exits from, one in the confrence room.)

thekyle0
08-22-2009, 11:39 AM
There's a plausible theory that assassins rescue Desmond this time and put him in their own animus.

caswallawn_2k7
08-22-2009, 11:51 AM
the new elements are a good idea, the original game while it was a decent game was realy restricted by how few options thier actualy was, you could either go after the liner story line or go after colectables that made no differance to the game. these new options open up the game more giving more options you arnt just playing a platformer with a slightly larger area.

as for the desmond thing, at the end of the first one there was an invation on the building were desmond was being held so there is a good chance he was rescued and put in a differant animus built with stolen information and possibly upgraded, after all they have stated in the second game desmond would be helping the assassins and not the templars.

Danvish
08-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, Patrice is keep saying that ACII starts where the first ended, with Desmond in the same room going back into the Animus.

So I think at leat at first, you'll keep doing jobs for the Templars, or the Assassins that broke in while you were asleep, and maybe only in a later stage, you move on to a new room with a new animus.

Charlie_Romeo
08-22-2009, 11:59 AM
ive always thought that if u escape from the room you'd jump out of that big window into a helicopter, it not a good idea and it wont happen but i like it lol.

i agree that these elements will further devlop the game but i hope they dont over do it with them.

NoxieDC
08-22-2009, 01:58 PM
The way I see it, AC1 was like the base of a flower and as it grows it's now getting bigger, wider, more detailed. And it may have small imperfections but overall it still is very well done. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif I for one, like everything about it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ezio-simoli
08-22-2009, 02:12 PM
health potions worrys me!!!

SLB_2009
08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ezio-simoli:
health potions worrys me!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry, I bet that the AC team will make it realistic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SWJS
08-23-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm not worried at all to be honest. I'm just about ready to call in the "Waaaaahmbulance" for this health potions thing. The game is still a month or two to release. I highly doubt any improvements they make will ruin the game.

honestly people it's a game. It isn't even that realistic, It's a science fiction game. If you don't like a gameplay feature, tell yourself 'It's the Animus!' and everything will be okay.

The only thing I AM worried about is people going haywire over simple little things like that. Fans always find something to nitpick about.

Just have fun with it, sheesh, I mean that is what games are for. Right?

MartaVasques
08-23-2009, 03:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just have fun with it, sheesh, I mean that is what games are for. Right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

Kidding! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, I hate this whole potions idea. But I agree with you when you say they wouldn’t ruin the game at this point. Besides, there’s still a chance there won’t be any healing potion at all!
So far, has Desilets mentioned any potion? For the GC demo, the person who wrote the article (not Patrice) said Desilets took Ezio to a doctor to buy potions. It could actually be poison and the writer just got it wrong. So, can someone please show me a quote from someone in the dev team talking about it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

davethepaveway
08-23-2009, 03:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
The only thing I AM worried about is people going haywire over simple little things like that. Fans always find something to nitpick about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nowt wrong with nitpicking mate helps improve the little things that make the difference

ezio-simoli
08-23-2009, 04:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:
There's a plausible theory that assassins rescue Desmond this time and put him in their own animus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THats one of the BEST theorys ive heard!!!that would be awesome

An_Idea
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
i dun like the rpg elements... well i probably will but i really liked what they had for the first game. it was great for what the game was, had certain amount of weapons, no money, no RPG-like upgrades. i liked it a lot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

Raide
08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Don't worry too much. It is RPG Lite, not a stat heavy RPG like many of them are. It actually feels fun to roam the city, buying things and generally feeling part of the world instead of just an assassin. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I am sure you will start to love the features when you get your hands on it.

Biomedical-Fire
08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raide:
Don't worry too much. It is RPG Lite, not a stat heavy RPG like many of them are. It actually feels fun to roam the city, buying things and generally feeling part of the world instead of just an assassin. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I am sure you will start to love the features when you get your hands on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it's rpg-lite, then AC2 won't be so bad and I welcome the new changes, but if became rpg-heavy, then I'd be more turned off by it. Though I'm mainly an RPGamer, I don't like games that start off in one genre then later on they try to make it an rpg, it just doesn't work. RPG's only work when they begin as an rpg.

CC1138
08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
The game is still action packed like the first one, and much more so it's good. They only brought some RPG system that will improve the game.

thekyle0
08-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Eh, If I want to avoid rpg elements in the game then I won't buy better equipment and just get better at playing the game to cope with the difficulty curve.

But the only thing that might ruin the game for me at this point is an emphasis on seal cub clubbing. Or is it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Danvish
08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, I think what Biomedical said make sense. The game must keep its action-packed baseline with RPG elements, and not to become and RPG with action-packed elements.

bornforhaze
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
AC will never become an RPG. These little features will never turn it into the Final Fantasy, AC will in my opinion always be a 3rd person action game.

obliviondoll
08-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I think, from what I've heard, the RPGish elements to AC2 will be enough to make the world feel more real, but not enough to make it feel like an RPG. Which is good, because as much as I like RPGs, I don't like the idea of AC turning all the way into one.

Danvish
08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bornforhaze:
AC will never become an RPG. These little features will never turn it into the Final Fantasy, AC will in my opinion always be a 3rd person action game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3rd person action game doesn't prevent a game from being RPG, as most RPGs are 3rd person..

TheEpicWolf
08-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not too bothered about the RPGish elements, it's still Assassins Creed so it's gonna rock anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sacrow0
08-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't think the Assasins Animus is a good theory, they tried to rescue him during AC 1 but they died. They told Desmond that the last Assasins were were dead.

Edengoth
08-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes, but then Lucy indicated that she was pretty sure Desmond's parents aren't dead, and that she is with the Assassins, so it's still possible there are survivors.

SLB_2009
08-26-2009, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edengoth:
Yes, but then Lucy indicated that she was pretty sure Desmond's parents aren't dead, and that she is with the Assassins, so it's still possible there are survivors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope so because, in my opinion, without more assassins than Desmond and Lucy in 2012, the game could lose some excitement...

Danvish
08-27-2009, 09:55 AM
I guess it's a good idea to turn the RPG discussion on maybe using some RPG elements with Desmond. What do you think? Should Desmond be able to unlock upgrades?

Charlie_Romeo
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
what upgrades could desomd actualy use? quicker load times for the animus??

Danvish
08-27-2009, 10:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charlie_Romeo:
what upgrades could desomd actualy use? quicker load times for the animus?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wearing/unwearing his cape? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Well that dpepends on what the "will do more" will include.

davethepaveway
08-27-2009, 10:05 AM
mmmmmmmm faster loading times ... fetch boy oh the dogs glitching again laggy old boy.. imagine lag in AC2 the guy you just hit i actually 50m away from you

4th Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment (fighting for my sig.)

Support our Troops

Charlie_Romeo
08-27-2009, 10:06 AM
i supose it would be difficult to do less with him tho lol

davethepaveway
08-27-2009, 10:10 AM
christ and he only walks the normal bastard i want him to run everywhere so i can just get it over and done with

4th Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment (fighting for my sig.)

Support our Troops

Losk_
08-27-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't think this game is going to play like an RPG. I totally understand where the OP is coming from, in that there are elements of the game that are also in almost all RPGs.

This has more to do with the structure of the game changing than anything IMO.

We're playing more of the minutia in AC2, you go to the store, you do your banking, whatever else. I don't mean this in a bad way at all, It's just that in AC1 the memories are very focused on specific, historically significant events. We never saw Altair hanging out with friends, we woke up once the mission was completed and were forced along to the next significant event. We were pushed by the templars hunting down that final memory so they could get a new piece of eden.

We know, (because its been stated in interviews) that there are fewer present day interludes in AC2. Leads me to believe that perhaps we don't know exactly what memory we are trying to unlock in AC2, but rather hunting through the history of this period to find something to counter the Templars? And in that effort we spend longer lengths in the machine, and look at Ezio doing some more mundane things, because we're hoping somewhere in there are clues that help us in the present day.

I guess I'm getting a bit off topic so i'll stop there.

Danvish
08-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Actually that are some great thoughts!

I never really thought that kind of change which the game is about to go. I did ofc understand the diversity part, but you're right, the changes will also massively affect the naritive.