PDA

View Full Version : Is a 110Km (per hr)

walsh2509
12-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Is a 110Km (per hr) enough to get a F6F (easy flight setting)Unloaded of the deck and into the air?

I tried this several times, 110% full power take off flaps set. Let the plane sit a little while at 110% power, F2'd outside put the camera side on and took the chock's away.

The plane ran up the deck (my hands were off my control stick, as the front wheels cleared the deck I pressed P to freeze the sim.

At that point when the front wheels cleard the front of the deck, I paused the sim. There was my F6F with just the tail wheel left on the deck. Speed 110km ph, as soon as I pressed the P button to unpaused the sim, the tail wheel clears the deck and the F6F went into a nose dive into the sea.

You don't get time to get the gear up or flaps even if you wanted to!

Is this plane and the others memtioned ‚£ecked?

Or have we flyer out there who can get the plane up and away? if so please do tell how!

Thanks....

walsh2509
12-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Is a 110Km (per hr) enough to get a F6F (easy flight setting)Unloaded of the deck and into the air?

I tried this several times, 110% full power take off flaps set. Let the plane sit a little while at 110% power, F2'd outside put the camera side on and took the chock's away.

The plane ran up the deck (my hands were off my control stick, as the front wheels cleared the deck I pressed P to freeze the sim.

At that point when the front wheels cleard the front of the deck, I paused the sim. There was my F6F with just the tail wheel left on the deck. Speed 110km ph, as soon as I pressed the P button to unpaused the sim, the tail wheel clears the deck and the F6F went into a nose dive into the sea.

You don't get time to get the gear up or flaps even if you wanted to!

Is this plane and the others memtioned ‚£ecked?

Or have we flyer out there who can get the plane up and away? if so please do tell how!

Thanks....

Atomic_Marten
12-29-2004, 06:18 PM
I did not test that out, but seems to me that speed is insuficient for take off. Also I never push stick hard up on take offs because that often causes my plane to crash.

Landing flaps should help while taking off at low speeds.. try to pull the stick in the order that the nose of your a/c isn't rising initially; you should 'drop' down a few meters when you pass end of the deck. Fortunatelly that will give you enough speed so you can gently pull stick up and gain alt.

Also try to get on main two wheels as soon as possible (on some a/c's you can do that on ~60kmh); that should give you 'stability' in the desired direction as well as some little extra speed..

HotelBushranger
12-30-2004, 04:03 AM
I havent tried it with the F6F, but with the Seafire, it reaches the end of the carrier, the last one off therefore giving me more room, at 140-160kmh. After that it dips a little, but gets up. Take off youre gear the split second there off the deck. When taking off, try to correct the course as little as possible, as this lessens youre speed off the carrier. It should add another 10-20kmh to youre speed, at 130 should, hopefully, be juuust good enough to get you off the deck.

HotelBushranger
12-30-2004, 04:03 AM
I havent tried it with the F6F, but with the Seafire, it reaches the end of the carrier, the last one off therefore giving me more room, at 140-160kmh. After that it dips a little, but gets up. Take off youre gear the split second there off the deck. When taking off, try to correct the course as little as possible, as this lessens youre speed off the carrier. It should add another 10-20kmh to youre speed, at 130 should, hopefully, be juuust good enough to get you off the deck.
Good luck there mate

x6BL_Brando
12-30-2004, 04:56 AM
I haven't experienced much trouble getting any of the carrier-borne Allied planes into the air, as long as the ordnance and fuel load isn't too great. The short "Jeep"-type CV's can be more tricky. That said, I was in a couple of coops last night which involved Hellcats with 8xHVAR's and 50% fuel coming off of carriers.

If it's available I set fuel/air to 120% and trim the elevators up a fraction. I usually roll with the canopy open and flaps fully extended when I have a heavy bombload.
With the engine at full throttle I "pull" chocks and spend the first half of the flightdeck making sure I'm getting on a straight track (!) I use pedals so that's easy enough. As soon as the wheels are clear of the deck-end I start them lifting - but I don't pull back on the stick at all. The first task is to get the beast flying level and my next command is raising flaps and closing canopy. This adds a few knots of speed and I can start EASING the stick back very gently. At a hundred feet I set the fuel/air to 100% and ease back the throttle to about 90%, as well as opening the rad cowls to 4 or 6.

I think the main problem is with trying to over-correct the pitch, though I acknowledge what was said about outside view and not touching the stick. In fact you have to be holding the stick - there does have to be some input just to hold the plane steady & level - but also avoiding the impulse to pull straight into a climb, however shallow.

AFJ_Locust
12-30-2004, 05:09 AM
Try pushing the stick foward slightly Before when u release the chocks.

PF_Coastie
12-30-2004, 06:30 AM
Also, Try your initial roll with NO flaps to gain more speed quickly. Then lower full flaps about halfway down the deck.

skyfox_249th
12-30-2004, 12:42 PM
i am also flying with coasties version:

1) normal flaps position (raised)!!!
2) trim your plane up about 20 clicks (depends on the loadout)
3) full throttle (use wep if you need it)
4) push your stick forward, release the chocks and gain speed!
5) when reaching between 2/3 and 3/4 of the runway use your flaps (landing position if needed)
6) try to raise your gears as soon as possible
7) gently pull up
8) no more tips -> normally you are airborne now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

p.s.: you can start an il2 with torpedos loaded if you follow these easy steps!