PDA

View Full Version : Updated control ideas

hewkii9
07-13-2010, 03:07 PM
First of all, let's get it out of the way - Assassin's Creed II was a great game. It added so much on top of the first one. One thing it added was assassinations from blending. Another thing it added was pickpocketing anyone. But both those areas felt like they could use a little improvements.

First, the cover kills. They were great, but you almost never got to use them. I know I never used assassinations from a bench. So why not make it easier? My idea is tap the head button once, which causes Ezio to whistle while in hiding. The whistle lures one guard from his patrol, to your location. This allows you to pick him off. A good comparison would be the Sonic Batarang from Arkham Asylum. This wouldn't interfere with any other controls, either. You would still hold head to activate Eagle Vision, and you can't speak from cover.

Pickpocketing is a little problem, too. Right now, it's mapped to the same button as fast walk, which is counterintuitive - you use fast walk to get into blend without attracting attention, so why map it to the same button as something that breaks up your blend group and attracts attention? My idea is to map gentle push and fast walk to the legs button, and move pickpocket to the free hand button, all in low profile.

It's the little things that really count.

hewkii9
07-13-2010, 03:07 PM
First of all, let's get it out of the way - Assassin's Creed II was a great game. It added so much on top of the first one. One thing it added was assassinations from blending. Another thing it added was pickpocketing anyone. But both those areas felt like they could use a little improvements.

First, the cover kills. They were great, but you almost never got to use them. I know I never used assassinations from a bench. So why not make it easier? My idea is tap the head button once, which causes Ezio to whistle while in hiding. The whistle lures one guard from his patrol, to your location. This allows you to pick him off. A good comparison would be the Sonic Batarang from Arkham Asylum. This wouldn't interfere with any other controls, either. You would still hold head to activate Eagle Vision, and you can't speak from cover.

Pickpocketing is a little problem, too. Right now, it's mapped to the same button as fast walk, which is counterintuitive - you use fast walk to get into blend without attracting attention, so why map it to the same button as something that breaks up your blend group and attracts attention? My idea is to map gentle push and fast walk to the legs button, and move pickpocket to the free hand button, all in low profile.

It's the little things that really count.

thekyle0
07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hewkii9:
First, the cover kills. They were great, but you almost never got to use them. I know I never used assassinations from a bench. So why not make it easier? My idea is tap the head button once, which causes Ezio to whistle while in hiding. The whistle lures one guard from his patrol, to your location. This allows you to pick him off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you mean to whistle a casual tune or a high pitched one as if you were trying to draw attention? Either way, I really like this idea. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif It could work even better with the hay stacks. It's a bit more suspicious when the hay stack is whistling at you.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hewkii9:
Pickpocketing is a little problem, too. Right now, it's mapped to the same button as fast walk, which is counterintuitive - you use fast walk to get into blend without attracting attention, so why map it to the same button as something that breaks up your blend group and attracts attention? My idea is to map gentle push and fast walk to the legs button, and move pickpocket to the free hand button, all in low profile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It would be better just to do away with the fast walk and make the regular walk a bit faster to compensate. Then no controls need to get switched around. I'm pretty sure it would throw fans of the series for a loop if they go to use gentle push and disrupt the crowd by pick pocketing. Muscle memory is tough to overcome.

Murcuseo
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Quite good ideas all-in-all. I like the idea of attracting the guards attention to brake him off from his patrol. I've used the bench Assassination a number of times but usually had to set it up by poisoning the trailing guard on the patrol, find a hiding spot then folllow them while he goes bonkers. Then find a bench close to where he dies. They'll check the benches closest. Other than that it never happened naturally.

After watching one of the trailers that featured a bench kill during the carnivale I thought it would happen a lot, but not once on my first play through lol

As for pickpocketing, they should just revert it to the way it was in AC. Stealing money from people is pointless as there is plenty of other ways to obtain it.

*On a side note, we should come up with an acronym for pickpocketing(PP won't work) because I find it really annoying to type lol

lilbacchant
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:
It would be better just to do away with the fast walk and make the regular walk a bit faster to compensate. Then no controls need to get switched around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the pace at which you walk could simply be controlled by how far up you move the LeftStick (common in many games), but I'm not sure how that'd work on the PC ...

thekyle0
07-13-2010, 04:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lilbacchant:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:
It would be better just to do away with the fast walk and make the regular walk a bit faster to compensate. Then no controls need to get switched around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the pace at which you walk could simply be controlled by how far up you move the LeftStick (common in many games), but I'm not sure how that'd work on the PC ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It already is that way. I'm just suggesting that as you depress the analog stick to larger degrees the speed at which the character moves will rise to a higher rate than what it would now.

bearsbball11
07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
First, the cover kills. They were great, but you almost never got to use them. I know I never used assassinations from a bench. So why not make it easier? My idea is tap the head button once, which causes Ezio to whistle while in hiding. The whistle lures one guard from his patrol, to your location. This allows you to pick him off. A good comparison would be the Sonic Batarang from Arkham Asylum. This wouldn't interfere with any other controls, either. You would still hold head to activate Eagle Vision, and you can't speak from cover. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think that is a very good idea. Hope they implement it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pickpocketing is a little problem, too. Right now, it's mapped to the same button as fast walk, which is counterintuitive - you use fast walk to get into blend without attracting attention, so why map it to the same button as something that breaks up your blend group and attracts attention? My idea is to map gentle push and fast walk to the legs button, and move pickpocket to the free hand button, all in low profile.

It's the little things that really count. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I also agree that something needs to be done about pickpocketing. There were quite a few times I accidentally pickpocketed people while I was just trying to walk fast, which was annoying. It needs to be changed so if I'm pickpocketing someone, I'm purposely doing it. Just because I want to speed walk doesn't mean I want to take people's money http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hewkii9
07-13-2010, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robson19822009:
After watching one of the trailers that featured a bench kill during the carnivale I thought it would happen a lot, but not once on my first play through lol

As for pickpocketing, they should just revert it to the way it was in AC. Stealing money from people is pointless as there is plenty of other ways to obtain it.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, you'd think that there would be some opportunities for bench kills since it was the very first kill that Ubisoft showed of AC2 [that's how the E3 demo started].

I don't want to do away with pickpocketing entirely, because I love those little flavor actions that you can do. I'd much rather it was just implemented in a safer way for the player. Plus a combination fast walk/gentle push would help stealth players a lot.

bearsbball11
07-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't really mind seeing pickpocketing done away with in AC:B. I mean think about it, Ezio Auditore, well-known master assassin walking thru the streets pickpocketing people. How realistic is that?

sm312
07-13-2010, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">First, the cover kills. They were great, but you almost never got to use them. I know I never used assassinations from a bench. So why not make it easier? My idea is tap the head button once, which causes Ezio to whistle while in hiding. The whistle lures one guard from his patrol, to your location. This allows you to pick him off. A good comparison would be the Sonic Batarang from Arkham Asylum. This wouldn't interfere with any other controls, either. You would still hold head to activate Eagle Vision, and you can't speak from cover. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I really like the idea of the whistling! I can't count how many times I've tried to lure a guard near me while I'm hiding or blending.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Pickpocketing is a little problem, too. Right now, it's mapped to the same button as fast walk, which is counterintuitive - you use fast walk to get into blend without attracting attention, so why map it to the same button as something that breaks up your blend group and attracts attention? My idea is to map gentle push and fast walk to the legs button, and move pickpocket to the free hand button, all in low profile.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The PickPocketing truly is counterintuitive it's like the guard saw me gonna walk away but while you're walking more guards have noticed you WTF? lol.

hewkii9
07-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Thing is, these two little things could be implemented in AC:B easily. The pickpocket is just a matter of remapping controls. Whistling would be a little harder, I think, but there already is a whistle sound in the game [Ezio uses it sometimes when you call for thieves to follow/stop].

lilbacchant
07-14-2010, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lilbacchant:

Well, the pace at which you walk could simply be controlled by how far up you move the LeftStick (common in many games), but I'm not sure how that'd work on the PC ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It already is that way. I'm just suggesting that as you depress the analog stick to larger degrees the speed at which the character moves will rise to a higher rate than what it would now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly was I trying to say too ... just not very well, apparently. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

EzioAssassin51
07-15-2010, 01:16 AM
I think we all agree that the whistling is a great idea! Keep the holding Triangle or Y for EV and tap T or Y for the whistle to lead a guard to your position! And don't have the people on the bench run away! They should be blue as in allies like in AC1!

I wouldn't mind if we don't have pickpocketing. It's only needed in AC2 if you're low on money, which you never are!

They should ditch the Fast Walk (who actually used that?) and free up a button! If they are going to keep pickpocketing, move it to L2 (on PS3, not used atm) and hold it down for a couple of seconds (like looting but quicker) to steal the money!

Ru1986
07-15-2010, 06:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioAssassin51:
I think we all agree that the whistling is a great idea! Keep the holding Triangle or Y for EV and tap T or Y for the whistle to lead a guard to your position! And don't have the people on the bench run away! They should be blue as in allies like in AC1!

I wouldn't mind if we don't have pickpocketing. It's only needed in AC2 if you're low on money, which you never are!

They should ditch the Fast Walk (who actually used that?) and free up a button! If they are going to keep pickpocketing, move it to L2 (on PS3, not used atm) and hold it down for a couple of seconds (like looting but quicker) to steal the money! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whistling Great Idea. Pickpocketing i only used once to complete the mission with Paola involving it. Fast walk in never used because if you go slightly close to anyone while pressing that you end up pickpocketing them which utimatly raises your Notoriety.

thekyle0
07-15-2010, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioAssassin51:
They should ditch the Fast Walk (who actually used that?) and free up a button! If they are going to keep pickpocketing, move it to L2 (on PS3, not used atm) and hold it down for a couple of seconds (like looting but quicker) to steal the money! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't forget that the shoulder buttons will probably be used to control brotherhood members through B.A.M.