PDA

View Full Version : Hellcat/Corsair rear windows

charshep
08-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Just curious, why were the "p-40" style rear windows removed from the later model Hellcats and Corsairs?

charshep
08-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Just curious, why were the "p-40" style rear windows removed from the later model Hellcats and Corsairs?

3.JG51_BigBear
08-06-2005, 07:10 PM
My guess would be better protection for the pilot. I know that on the Hellcat at least, there is plenty of evidence showing that windows were scavenged from F3F-3s and early F3F-5s and installed on mid and late models -5s so obviously a number of pilots didn't see an advantage.

IL2-chuter
08-06-2005, 09:36 PM
The aluminum sheet metal was no protection. The windows took time (and money) to install and the word from the fleet was the pilots didn't need them. Grumman got permission from the Navy to drop them. (Vought dropped the Corsair's rear windows too.)

Never heard the one about installing the windows in the field . . . interesting . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

BSS_Goat
08-06-2005, 10:42 PM
I thought it was to give the carrier planes more "backbone" for arrested landings.

3.JG51_BigBear
08-06-2005, 10:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IL2-chuter:
The aluminum sheet metal was no protection. The windows took time (and money) to install and the word from the fleet was the pilots didn't need them. Grumman got permission from the Navy to drop them. (Vought dropped the Corsair's rear windows too.)

Never heard the one about installing the windows in the field . . . interesting . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The late -5 had additional armour plating installed behind the pilot seat which made the rear windows completely useless. Some pilots opted to have the armour removed by their crews and have the windows reinstalled.

IL2-chuter
08-07-2005, 02:46 AM
True. Removing the slight notch in the sides of the armor plate did offer slightly more protection. I doubt they changed the armor plate (on the -5's) to accomodate the field retrofitted rear windows, though. I've helped move one, and it's huge and heavy (lots of guys and a fork lift). Might have flame cut'em, though. I'm sure removing the notch (all for safety) was, as much as anything, production streamlining (a straight cut).

stansdds
08-07-2005, 05:45 AM
The window aft of the canopy on the Corsair was darned near useless. It was deleted when Vought developed the raised cockpit and canopy. I think any loss of view was made up with the higher seat and canopy. As for the Hellcat, probably more of a cost cutting deal than anything else and if more armor was added around the headrest area, then the rear windows would have been totally useless.