PDA

View Full Version : Just about to get Simpeds, but which should I go for, for longevity and compatibility

Mysticpuma2003
04-20-2010, 05:50 AM
I have just got a Thrustmaster Cougar, which I will be modding in the next 2-3 weeks.

My question relates to Simpeds USB and Simpeds Cougar.

Obviously as I am using a Cougar, it would make sense to get the Cougar version of the Simpeds, but if I upgrade the stick in the future (lets say I buy a Warthog (as an example)), does that mean I have to sell the Simpeds Cougar and upgrade?

In-which-case, would it make sense to have the Cougar stick, and just buy the general USB Simpeds which can be used with any stick? If I do this, are there issues with the Cougar stick working with the non-Cougar pedals?

Mysticpuma2003
04-20-2010, 05:50 AM
I have just got a Thrustmaster Cougar, which I will be modding in the next 2-3 weeks.

My question relates to Simpeds USB and Simpeds Cougar.

Obviously as I am using a Cougar, it would make sense to get the Cougar version of the Simpeds, but if I upgrade the stick in the future (lets say I buy a Warthog (as an example)), does that mean I have to sell the Simpeds Cougar and upgrade?

In-which-case, would it make sense to have the Cougar stick, and just buy the general USB Simpeds which can be used with any stick? If I do this, are there issues with the Cougar stick working with the non-Cougar pedals?

bolox00
04-20-2010, 06:07 AM
how many other input devices do you have/intend to add?
as long as you aren't going over il2's limit of 4 devices i'd say get the usb version. they run fine with a cougar- the only 'problem' is they won't be seen by the cougar for calibration (not a problem) or available to Foxy if you wanted to do something clever- for instance getting both toe brakes to work as US style toe brakes.

i used to use the rudder input port to wire 3 pots as elev trim, prop pith and mixture(using foxy programming). there was a wiring diag of the pins at Frugals- if i find a copy in my 'archives'i'll post it here

Fenice_1965
04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Personally I bought the usb brake version, since i found it more suited for prop sims. I have the cougar never needed to program the gameport.
~S~

na85
04-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Get CH Pro Pedals. I love mine. They're big and sturdy, and work great. Some complain about the narrow stance, but I just rest the balls of my feet in the heel cups anyways, so the narrow stance is a non-issue.

TheGrunch
04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Gotta be honest, since I got the USB Simpeds I can't stand the CH Pedals any more. Went I went to my dad's house and used his they just felt weird and clunky. I went back to using a twisty stick rather than use them.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-20-2010, 05:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheGrunch:
Gotta be honest, since I got the USB Simpeds I can't stand the CH Pedals any more. Went I went to my dad's house and used his they just felt weird and clunky. I went back to using a twisty stick rather than use them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I feel the same about my G940 pedals, they really are better than the CH.

Mysticpuma2003
04-21-2010, 05:14 AM
The reason I'm going for Simpeds is that I have size 14 feet (US) and need a set of pedals that allow for that. CH look too small for me, and I did try Simpeds at 325th_Swoop's house in the the US and found them brilliant!

Looks like the USB version is the one for me, and I'm still considering the brake option as I may use them at a later date for real-world flight training when I go for my pilots license so the short-term hit on the brake pedal option could work out for me in the long-run (if I use FSX and Piper Arrow)?

Cheers, MP

Worf101
04-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Interesting question. I've both an UberKitty and Simpeds. Except for the cheapo cable losing insulation near the gameport plug, the Simpeds have been rock solid. Even the high wind exercise in Joint Ops Ground School didn't faze em. As for your question, I like having em in my Cougar interface. If the Warthog ever comes out and if I ever migrate to it, I might look into having the peds modded, if possible for USP or determine if some adaptor is forthcoming.

Lets us know what you decide.

Worf

ibeagle
04-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Evenstrain cougar here with usb simpeds here, all working flawlessly. Usb would be the way to go imo. Simpeds with serial port to plug into the cougar would be useful only for modifying axis curves and other tweaks through the cougar software - and completely unnecessary. Afaik, il2 accepts only 4 usb devices, so if you already have 4 plugged in, you would need to go with the serial plug simpeds.