PDA

View Full Version : Anger is my only emotion. Deal with it.

BaldieJr
09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
That got your attention http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I'm gone to Slidell, LA (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=slidell+la&spn=0.416313,0.637310&hl=en) to help get the telecoms infrastructure back up.

I called my geek friends to find out who was willing to do something. Turns out one of my pals wanted to go down and fix up a few hotels up with internet so the displaced NO refugees can communicate. We compared notes and made a plan. (sorry, we aren't doctors. we only fix internet. we do what we can).

I called the boss and told him that he can fire me or he can approve some time off. He worked a deal: I get to go and keep my job. He's going to try to get my time off payed, but no guarantee as yet. The only stipulation is I must try to fix the fiber in our slidell offices and help get FEMA online with whatever they need. Its crazy. We havent heard anything from anyone there and corporate is saying we need to get it operational so the government can operate. Typical corp... they want something done but wont assign the ****ed job to anyone.

I'm not rich. I jugled some numbers and falsified a few records. I'm going to pay for it all later. If you want to help with our gas money, you can paypal me a fiver at ashworth.payne@gmail.com. It would help a lot.

We have enough to get down there. We're gambling on a promised-check to get us back. Any help would be appreciated.

Bear: email me anything I may need to know about your son as well as your phone number. Its a big area, but I'll do what I can for ya.

BaldieJr
09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
That got your attention http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I'm gone to Slidell, LA (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=slidell+la&spn=0.416313,0.637310&hl=en) to help get the telecoms infrastructure back up.

I called my geek friends to find out who was willing to do something. Turns out one of my pals wanted to go down and fix up a few hotels up with internet so the displaced NO refugees can communicate. We compared notes and made a plan. (sorry, we aren't doctors. we only fix internet. we do what we can).

I called the boss and told him that he can fire me or he can approve some time off. He worked a deal: I get to go and keep my job. He's going to try to get my time off payed, but no guarantee as yet. The only stipulation is I must try to fix the fiber in our slidell offices and help get FEMA online with whatever they need. Its crazy. We havent heard anything from anyone there and corporate is saying we need to get it operational so the government can operate. Typical corp... they want something done but wont assign the ****ed job to anyone.

I'm not rich. I jugled some numbers and falsified a few records. I'm going to pay for it all later. If you want to help with our gas money, you can paypal me a fiver at ashworth.payne@gmail.com. It would help a lot.

We have enough to get down there. We're gambling on a promised-check to get us back. Any help would be appreciated.

Bear: email me anything I may need to know about your son as well as your phone number. Its a big area, but I'll do what I can for ya.

GAU-8
09-04-2005, 12:05 AM
hey,

my brother just came back from there today, left about 5 this morning, and got back around 10 tonight.

he just said "i have to go, the vehicle is loaded up with formula, diapers, canned goods, and a few small tanks of gas...anything i can do to help"

no plans, no destination, he just went and did what he felt was right. luckily he was able to come across the right areas with distribution centers that were small(er) he did what he could, and listened to thier stories. his throat was lumpy from all the horror stories he heard,and seeing how humans can endure so much, seeing'dealing with the most vile of things we shouldnt see normally, and acting apon it in ways we never knew ourselves, just because of the basic instinct called survival.

hope everything works out for you over there baldie. its a risk, but i feel its well worth it. im trying to go back with my brother on monday.

arcadeace
09-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Good luck on fixing as much as you can. And take care http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WarWolfe_1
09-04-2005, 01:00 AM
I spent nearly a 6 hours at Muskogee Oklahoma which is 45 mins from me at a place called Camp Gruber and is a training area for millitary and National Gaurd. I unloaded 2 semi's (I'll admit they were only 45footers not 52) worth of food, water, clothes, and other items for 2000 inbound evacs, refugee isn't a very kind word they are our countrymen. My time was unpaid as well, I would do it again.

BaldieJr
09-04-2005, 02:18 AM
GAU-8,

Can you tell me where exactly your bro went, and what conditions the roads are in? Anything you can tell me about slidell would be a life-saver.

Bearcat99
09-04-2005, 02:27 PM
He is in the Navy with the relief effort.. so I dont know where he is..... havent heard from him since Wed.. but since the civil unrest has died down and things are getting done it is a good thing. It is a good thing that you are going down there. That is a good thing to do if you can... Thank you for asking.

BaldieJr
09-04-2005, 04:09 PM
no sweat.

I'm blogging this whole trip:
http://fivehundredcash.blogspot.com/

If it gets updated: mission accomplished. If not, we failed to get that fiber link up.

T_O_A_D
09-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Good Luck God Speed and all!!!!!

Give oh Katrina Hell Baldie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Low_Flyer_MkII
09-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Respect. Good luck.

BSS_Goat
09-04-2005, 09:13 PM
God speed and good luck Baldie. See you when you get back.

wayno7777
09-05-2005, 01:55 AM
~S~! Good Luck, Baldie. We gave back on Wednsday. Will give more if we can. And deepest respect for all those who do go!....

GAU-8
09-05-2005, 02:12 AM
sorry i got back late, Baldie.

i am supposed to go back with my brother today, if he can make it again.

i should have the info about slidell and, his road evaluations near the area, soon (most likely 5-6 hours..

Friendly_flyer
09-05-2005, 03:42 AM
Good luck, Baldie! With a little luck, your boss will see the value of someone with your spirit!

F19_Ob
09-05-2005, 06:03 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

jensenpark
09-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Well done Baldie.

This is a note from a good friend of mine in Austin - we had spent some time in New Orleans in the 80's oddly enough. It is lengthy - I apologize - but I think people need to see that for every thug in NO hurting people, there are literaly thousands of other Americans like youand her helping out.

In my 5 years as a board member of the Capital Area Food Bank, I've never gotten an hysterical call saying "help! we're desperate!" which I did on Friday at 8:30a.m. I went to the HEB grocery nearest my house - in a predominantly Hispanic part of Austin, on I-35. There I spent 4 hours unloading water, peanut butter and more from cars and grocery carts onto the pallets and into 18-wheelers (whice were running so low in number we started begging Dell & others for more trucks). I can't explain how easy it seems to feel to swing 24 pound cases of bottled water in the heat, when it's such a good cause: and then not be able to move the next morning....I was sore & bruised from head to toe! (not enough weight lifting in my regular routine, obviously).

Many locals were walking up to the donation area and giving us cash and checks as well. I personally helped the following: a 20-ish year old Mexican construction worker in a sling (fell off a ladder and hadn't worked in 2 weeks) who couldn't write a check, so I wrote it and he signed it - for $50!; a man who appeared homeless handed me all the bills in his pocket (about $30) and said "where can I help?"; families who obviously were themselves struggling to make ends meet unloading one small bag of groceries into their own cars, then handing me the grocery cart full to the brim with canned tuna, spam, and diapers. HEB was pricing everything the foodbank requested at "Katrina prices" so everyone was buying just what we had wanted! water, canned meats, diapers, cereal bars, and canned food edible without heating. In the 26+ years our foodbank has been helping 21 counties in Texas, we've NEVER had a food drive as overwhelming as this one. In one day we beleive we took in (just money) $500,000.

There were so many familiar faces: all the "pretty" tv-news people (like Carolyn!!) who always looks so polished and calm - were sweating like marathon runners just like me! There were right in the middle of it all! (I must say when I saw a few on the 6 p.m. news "moving a case of food" looking fine, I KNEW they had to have ducked into a car for a quick make-up check! ;-)

Austin is now housing 5,000 evacuees in the Convention Center. Luckily for them, they can walk around town and enjoy the space as, unlike some other cities, they are right downtown and not off the beaten path in a sports stadium. There are dozens of people showing up at the Convention Center saying "I have 3 girls - is there any family like mine who wants to come live at my house indefinitely?" - unbelievable! From what I've seen, I'd say we probably have another 10,000 in homes, churches and hotels nearby.

Our Mayor started crying on tv the other day as he said the lines of volunteers and supporters was overwhelming....

I spent the afternoon at the Food Bank the other day answering phones. One job was "here's 3 employees' passcodes - start writing down the voice mail messages": each person had over 40 messages from people wanting to help. The phones are almost overwhelmed! (this from the foodbank which was named by America's Second Harvest as the #1 FoodBank in the USA twice. I can't IMAGINE how overwhelmed some of the smaller foodbanks must be!

Pirschjaeger
09-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Thx for posting that Jenson. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Fritz

jds1978
09-06-2005, 04:20 AM
Sweet thread! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Goodluck, Baldie! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif