PDA

View Full Version : Computer planes.

Hizack78
07-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Is it just me or do they cheat? If they're after me I can never seem to out run them and they definately can climb in altitude better then I. Including my wingmates.

I don't touch the prop-position buttons and I don't touch the supercharger. I know I should but I don't know what the heck I'm doing if I do. Except for maybe the supercharger.

However is there a way to fix the computer's seemingly impossible flight manouvers?

Hizack78
07-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Is it just me or do they cheat? If they're after me I can never seem to out run them and they definately can climb in altitude better then I. Including my wingmates.

I don't touch the prop-position buttons and I don't touch the supercharger. I know I should but I don't know what the heck I'm doing if I do. Except for maybe the supercharger.

However is there a way to fix the computer's seemingly impossible flight manouvers?

Dance
07-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Yep, that old chestnut, they do cheat (won't go into how) especially on take off.

You have to pay attention to your rudder trim, mixture if adjustable depending on altitude, the same with supercharging. Prop pitch in the climb is best left at 100%. You can keep up but you just have to do it differently to them, especially cutting corners at way points on the climb out. Also study what WEP, or other enhancements your engine has and at what altitude it will help you.

Hizack78
07-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Hey thanks for the fast reply. I will have to play around.

I'm not used to the whole mixture thing yet and my main plane of choice is the lovely 109F4. Should I look at the manual for it to tell me what i should be doing with my supercharger when and mixtures too?

(also noticed the computer cheats if autopilot landing. 140KPH is not flyable lol)

Dance
07-08-2010, 06:27 PM
With a 109F4 you are all good, it's mostly automatic, do read the aircraft guide to study it in detail though.

ROXunreal
07-08-2010, 06:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sirkyleaziz:
Hey thanks for the fast reply. I will have to play around.

I'm not used to the whole mixture thing yet and my main plane of choice is the lovely 109F4. Should I look at the manual for it to tell me what i should be doing with my supercharger when and mixtures too?

(also noticed the computer cheats if autopilot landing. 140KPH is not flyable lol) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 109's have automatic mixture and supercharger switching so no worries about that in those planes.

140 is flyable on descent on many aircraft, though the AI does have an inhumanly steady hand and is always perfectly trimmed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ba5tard5word
07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
If you play the game enough you get used to the AI's shenanigans. It flies each plane differently and can fly the same plane differently as an enemy against you compared with if it's flying as one of your wingmen.

Bf-109 models are the worst offenders in terms of flying unrealistically in that even if they are in a model that has a top speed similar to yours, they will fly off into the sunset if you get behind them and you'll never be able to catch them. The 109-E models aren't as bad but the F and later 109 models are.

The only way to deal with them is to fly a plane that has a top speed of about 10-20kph higher than the 109 model at least. Then when you get bored of climbing after them they'll turn back and dive on you over and over.

Fw-190's kind of do this as well but they have a much slower acceleration so they can't climb away as much.

Pretty much any other plane will not do this to the same degree if you are in a plane that is about as fast, but they will definitely do it if they are in a plane that is much faster.

Take notes of the top speed at sea level or altutude of planes by looking them up on Hardball's Aircraft Viewer or Il2Compare. Again if you fly against faster planes the AI is just going to keep flying away from you, they will never slow down or overheat or stall out. Which I think is annoying because in real life sometimes pilots had to fly slower planes than their opponents but they could take advantage of their opponents not being able to fly at top speed all the time.

Ba5tard5word
07-08-2010, 09:28 PM
In terms of the supercharger and fuel mix and prop pitch, those are all automatic on pretty much all German planes and some others like later Spitfires.

For planes where it is manual, superchargers are for some reason always set at level 2 when you take off, so set it to level 1 which is for flying around sea level. You change the supercharger to a higher level when you get to a certain altitude, I think something like 3000 or 4000m in general but it depends on the plane. I've seen a graph that lists when you should change them, I can dig it up if you want. But if you mainly fly at sea level just keep it at 1.

Fuel mix you can leave at 100% at sea level. You turn it lower if you're at a certain altitude, otherwise your engine will make rumbling noises and make you slower and you'll see a brown trail coming from your engine. Set it lower until the trail goes away and your engine sounds normal again.

Prop pitch can be kept at 100% pretty much all the time. The only time you absolutely have to lower it is if you are in a very steep dive, otherwise your engine will overrev and your engine will basically go kaput. If you're making a steep dive set it to 0% if you want to be safe (I have a hotkey for 0% and 100%) then set it back to 100 when back in level flight. Also when I am making a landing approach and need to bleed speed, I like setting it to 0 until I drop speed a lot, then I put it to 100 and come in while changing my throttle as required.

M_Gunz
07-09-2010, 12:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sirkyleaziz:

However is there a way to fix the computer's seemingly impossible flight manouvers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is a lot of that because of trying to catch up with your flight in missions?

p-11.cAce
07-09-2010, 06:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't touch the prop-position buttons and I don't touch the supercharger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
"All the other cars on the highway CHEAT - I can never keep up and keep getting passed all the time! I don't touch the gear shift lever or the clutch - I know I should but I don't know what the heck I'm doing..."

Obviously.

rfxcasey
07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
It has recently come to my attention that the AI don't suffer from engine overheat either, so if you really want to level the playing field turn off overheats in the difficulty panel. I keep overheats on just because it IS realistic regardless of what the AI is doing. I wouldn't want to make things too easy as even AI aces don't fly like online players and become predictable after a while. For example it seems that if you keep the pressure on an AI plane long enough they will simply run for the hills making them easy to down if you catch them before they speed off into the wild blue. I get this same behavior from online opponents usually if they know you have the advantage but they are in general far more skilled, aggressive and crafty.

Oh and before I go, though it's not a problem in the 109 as the radiator is in auto mode by default, having your radiator cowl open provides more cooling but also more drag and subsequently less speed.

Hizack78
07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys, there was a bunch I didn't know about the enemy aircraft I guess I'll just have to accept it.

The one thing though was the computer being able to fly straight upwards essentially gain about 1000M and then still be capable of having enough speed to fly around where as I would stall and start a terrifying free-fall.

Thanks for the tips with the prop pitch and supercharger I find it's hard to know what's what in a cockpit if you can't read low res German. Let alone real German.

P-11. You give me a standard car and I'll show you who's passing who on the highway buddy.

An thanks rfxcasey. I always turned the radiator cowl to open thinking it worked better then auto/closed option. I'll have to remember that.