PDA

View Full Version : Fight 1 vs. ....

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
I've seen a few people bring up the subject of Altair vs. and how he is always taken on one on one even when there are numerous guards around who apparently stand around and wait their turn to attack.
Its a point that gets brought up in many discussions and one i always felt deserved an answer because surely that's not how it would be in real life so why is it always the case in games.

Anyway a little while ago i had the pleasure of attending a UK gaming event called The Gathering, and the special guest at this event was Peter Molyneux. During his presentation a few of us got to ask some questions and one of the guys asked that very question....why is it in any combat/ fight situation they always stand back and wait their turn? (I don't recall the exact words but that was the jist) A few giggled nervously at the question we thought would put him off guard a little but he wasn't and explained very clearly why they do this. He used as his example the film Kill Bill in which we see many such combat scenes in which there is an ˜order' to the fight. How a fight always follows this order and is simply how its always done. It's the same in any martial arts situation; people don't all jump in at once and create a pile of bodies that look more like a collapsed twister game lol they actually follow the order of combat as is seen in films and games.

Anyway I just thought I would mention that and open it up for discussion since so many of you have already brought it up across a few threads
Also if anyone's interested one of the guys recorded the presentation at the gathering, there are a few videos and I only did a quick search but you will find them under this link.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLkxGnoC9zU

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
I've seen a few people bring up the subject of Altair vs. and how he is always taken on one on one even when there are numerous guards around who apparently stand around and wait their turn to attack.
Its a point that gets brought up in many discussions and one i always felt deserved an answer because surely that's not how it would be in real life so why is it always the case in games.

Anyway a little while ago i had the pleasure of attending a UK gaming event called The Gathering, and the special guest at this event was Peter Molyneux. During his presentation a few of us got to ask some questions and one of the guys asked that very question....why is it in any combat/ fight situation they always stand back and wait their turn? (I don't recall the exact words but that was the jist) A few giggled nervously at the question we thought would put him off guard a little but he wasn't and explained very clearly why they do this. He used as his example the film Kill Bill in which we see many such combat scenes in which there is an ˜order' to the fight. How a fight always follows this order and is simply how its always done. It's the same in any martial arts situation; people don't all jump in at once and create a pile of bodies that look more like a collapsed twister game lol they actually follow the order of combat as is seen in films and games.

Anyway I just thought I would mention that and open it up for discussion since so many of you have already brought it up across a few threads
Also if anyone's interested one of the guys recorded the presentation at the gathering, there are a few videos and I only did a quick search but you will find them under this link.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLkxGnoC9zU

bokeef04
11-13-2007, 02:34 PM
i asked my instructor at the dojo, and he said the fighting one on one was the hollywood style, typically in a fight its just going to be a free for all, although, for all those that care, in japan the samurai would fight 1 on 1, even to the point where the enemy infantry wouldn't fight the samurai as the commanders wanted to fight them