PDA

View Full Version : Merged or Not Merged?

SHMall35
01-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi,
I have been given PF as a Xmas present and I must say...WOW its fantsatic.
So good infact that I now bought FB and AEP.

Is it best to Merge to 3 Flight sims into one game, or run them as Stand alone?

What Advantages/disadvanges to Merging?

Thanks

Simon

Hawggy
01-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Oh Lord, please!!! For the love of PETE MERGE those sims!!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

x6BL_Brando
01-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Most FBAEP+PF players - at least, the online community - are running the merged version 3.03m.
You won't see many pre-PF players or available servers in any other version in HyperLobby. Likewise there don't seem to be any PF-standalone servers either. Things may be a bit different at Ubi.com. IMO, merged to the latest version is the way to go. You get all the planes and maps, and improved graphics & tweaks as well.
Have fun.

SHMall35
01-08-2005, 11:11 AM
ok, I guess I had better et merging then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Simon.

TheGozr
01-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Not even a question or a dout about that..

I can't beleive many of the pilots wanted this stand alone only.. just imagine the disaster

Look at today none of them as it stand alone.

SHMall35
01-08-2005, 11:49 AM
will do a fresh install of all then.
So I install FB followed by AEP,then PF and then which patches? 301m and 303m?
are there anymore I need, remember I am a Newbie here....
thanks

Simon

Saburo_0
01-08-2005, 12:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGozr:
Not even a question or a dout about that..

I can't beleive many of the pilots wanted this stand alone only.. just imagine the disaster

Look at today none of them as it stand alone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always wanted PF to be compatible with FB too but that decision has limited what they could do to improve the atmosphere of the sim. So just like aircraft design there are some trade offs.
Some things that couldn't be improved were :
Com commands for controlling the AI communicating with the ground/ships
in game selection screens
campign squadron managment
AI (to some extent)
Plus Oleg has stated it was more difficult & time consuming to re-write the code for FB than it would have been to start from scratch.

So there were trade-offs, but as it stands now I've not heard of any benefits from running PF seperately from FB/AEP.

Cheers,

x__CRASH__x
01-08-2005, 12:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SHMall35:
will do a fresh install of all then.
So I install FB followed by AEP,then PF and then which patches? 301m and 303m?
are there anymore I need, remember I am a Newbie here....
thanks
Simon <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simon,

Delete all of it, including the folders. Do a Defrag of your hard drive.
- Install FB
- Reboot
- Install AEP
- Reboot
- Install PF
- Reboot
- Patch it with 3.03 only
- Reboot
- Defrag

That should give you the smoothest install you can get. Then all you have to do is tweak the graphics levels for your system, and you should be set.

See you in Hyperlobby! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SHMall35
01-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks X___CRASH___X

I have just uninstalled everything and doing a De-Frag as I type.

Will install as you have said.

Thanks

Simon

satcomNL
01-08-2005, 01:30 PM
hey hey!
i got it merged too!

BUT! i got also a standaloneversion of PF running... most of my buddies dont have all others yet.... so.. this might be a nice option for a few people!

oh! did i mention i got a 24/7 PF standalone server?
checkem out! v3.03 PF standalone server at : 213.84.103.184

enjoy!

x__CRASH__x
01-08-2005, 02:07 PM
While you are at it, check out Bearcat's Sturmovik Essentials! A grea compilation of websites that can give you just about everything you need.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=51910959

Bearcat99
01-08-2005, 02:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saburo_0:

I always wanted PF to be compatible with FB too but that decision has limited what they could do to improve the atmosphere of the sim. So just like aircraft design there are some trade offs.
Some things that couldn't be improved were :
Com commands for controlling the AI communicating with the ground/ships
in game selection screens
campign squadron managment
AI (to some extent)
Plus Oleg has stated it was more difficult & time consuming to re-write the code for FB than it would have been to start from scratch.

So there were trade-offs, but as it stands now I've not heard of any benefits from running PF seperately from FB/AEP.

Cheers, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those trade offs had less to do with PF than with the limits of the engine. Oleg said that in BoB the AI would have more commands.. Keep in mind that FB3.0 is basically the same engine as IL2 only highly optimized. Thats why the two are not compatible but similar.